Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas.

So today marks my fifth time taking my three week old PPQ45 out to the range this time I decided against running it with any fancy Syntech TSJ ammo and only use classic, dirty, Winchester Target FMJ 230g and Browning Training & Practice rounds, of the same spec, and about every other magazine would have a jam!

Now prior to this the gun only jammed twice on me during it's very first outing on the 2nd and 3rd mag also using Winchester Target FMJ 230g, which didn't bother me since it's was still in the break-in period, and it's been flawless eating whatever I fed it up until today. Now I'm not expert but the jams that I kept having today looked like this:
ppq45 jams.jpg

Basically I'd fire, the spent casing ejects just fine, but when the jam happens either I get the empty "click" and the slide looked fully cycled or I notice the it was a little open. Either way I'd lock the slide back, inspect the chamber and each time the next round would just be sitting in the magazine and not cocked upwards touching the feed ramp like a limp wrist issue might cause. I though maybe it was one of the two, original, mags causing problems but it happened to both. I tried changing up my grip and I even fired one handed for a bit but that wasn't conclusive. Both brands of ammo jammed so it's not a case of having a bad batch. The only thing that seemed to get rid of the issue was loading less ammo into the magazines, 10 instead of 12 rounds cycled though perfectly each time.

Once I got home I field stripped it giving the feed ramp a good look but honestly nothing looked particularly fowled up, I even double checked that the recoil spring was sitting correctly, which it was; so I'm a bit confused. Can anyone of you guys think of what may be causing this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey fellas.

So today marks my fifth time taking my three week old PPQ45 out to the range this time I decided against running it with any fancy Syntech TSJ ammo and only use classic, dirty, Winchester Target FMJ 230g and Browning Training & Practice rounds, of the same spec, and about every other magazine would have a jam!

Now prior to this the gun only jammed twice on me during it's very first outing on the 2nd and 3rd mag also using Winchester Target FMJ 230g, which didn't bother me since it's was still in the break-in period, and it's been flawless eating whatever I fed it up until today. Now I'm not expert but the jams that I kept having today looked like this:
View attachment 92633

Basically I'd fire, the spent casing ejects just fine, but when the jam happens either I get the empty "click" and the slide looked fully cycled or I notice the it was a little open. Either way I'd lock the slide back, inspect the chamber and each time the next round would just be sitting in the magazine and not cocked upwards touching the feed ramp like a limp wrist issue might cause. I though maybe it was one of the two, original, mags causing problems but it happened to both. I tried changing up my grip and I even fired one handed for a bit but that wasn't conclusive. Both brands of ammo jammed so it's not a case of having a bad batch. The only thing that seemed to get rid of the issue was loading less ammo into the magazines, 10 instead of 12 rounds cycled though perfectly each time.

Once I got home I field stripped it giving the feed ramp a good look but honestly nothing looked particularly fowled up, I even double checked that the recoil spring was sitting correctly, which it was; so I'm a bit confused. Can anyone of you guys think of what may be causing this?
Contact Walther Arms at waltherarms.com by phone or email. They are very good at what they do. Don't monkey around with this new gun. They will have the answer.

·
Registered
654 Posts
As I was reading your description, I was thinking the magazine spring is stiff causing the round to push hard on the lip of the magazine and not stripping a new round into the chamber.

I would keep trying with 10 rounds or less to see if the spring loosens up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
I think the problem is your shooting low powered ammo. The ammo is just barely powerful enough to blow the slide back just enough to eject the spent casing, but not far enough to pick up the top round in the magazine. Hence, you wind up with an empty chamber and a 'click' no bang....you pull the slide back and see the chamber is empty and the next round just sitting there at the top of the magazine.

Shoot some better (more powerful) ammo and see how it performs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have to add that I was having trouble grouping my shots today so maybe it was just me.

Think I'll make an effort to go again tomorrow starting off with a box of my current favorite, Federal Syntech 220g TSJ, which actually has a bullet velocity of 775 at the muzzle, while both the Browning and Winchester come in at 835 though are 230g, filling the magazines up all the way. If it shoots without jamming I'll switch back to what I used today, still fully loading the mags and if it starts acting up again I'll check my grip, pending that doesn't work I'll load less rounds and call Walther.

I think the problem is your shooting low powered ammo. The ammo is just barely powerful enough to blow the slide back just enough to eject the spent casing, but not far enough to pick up the top round in the magazine. Hence, you wind up with an empty chamber and a 'click' no bang....you pull the slide back and see the chamber is empty and the next round just sitting there at the top of the magazine.

Shoot some better (more powerful) ammo and see how it performs.
What ammo or minium muzzle velocity do you recommend @imaoldfart?

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
I use a lot of Speer 53653 (230 grain 830 fps). But the bottom line is, use what ever works the best.

·
Premium Member
8,503 Posts
I find GECO 230 fmj 842 fps is also an excellent range round. It has a sintox primer as well. I've run about 8 cases through my Q45. Well closer too 7,200 rounds I think. I've yet to have any but training induced failures.

·
Registered
654 Posts
What leads me to believe that this is magazine related and not ammo related is the OP doesn't have issues when loading the magazines to 10 rounds.
It sounds like the tension is so high the slide can't strip the round.

I had a similar problem with my SW99 45 mags where getting the last 2 rounds in the magazine was tough and I had feeding issues . After a few range trips it became easier to load and the failures stopped.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
I think we're pretty much saying the same thing. One thing for sure, the slide is not going back far enough to allow the top round in the magazine to pop up in front of the breach face. Or the slide doesn't go back far enough for the breach face to clear the rim of the top cartridge in the magazine, therefore, closing on an empty chamber. Also, the OP said that occasionally the slide would fail to return all the way forward into battery.

Some reasons for this behavior, in no particular order, would be:

1. The magazine spring is a little on the strong side, which means the top round is putting a little too much pressure on the slide as the slide moves/slides back and forth. Which means the slide may not go back far enough to clear the ammo stack and it will also return with less energy, meaning it may not make it into full battery. So, two less rounds in the magazine apparently lowers the magazine stack pressure low enough it’ll allow the slide to cycle as it should.

2. A recoil spring that's a little on the strong side. Would have, pretty much, the same result as described above. It would not allow the slide to go back far enough to pick up the next round in the magazine.

In the cases above, stronger ammo may be the simple fix. And, with any luck, the springs will loosen up with use.

I’d be nice if the OP had a buddy with a PPQ 45. The OP could try his mags in his buddies gun, and vice ah versa.

·
Premium Member
8,503 Posts
A case of Speer Lawman or GECO should solve the problem. Heck I'll bet a couple of boxes would do the trick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I just got back from the range and she performed perfectly today! I started off with that cleaner Syntech ammo putting the PPQ through 100 rounds with full magazines, well except for the last one, and then I switched over to the same old Winchester ammo that I used yesterday and it was totally fine so go figure.

I did do a few things; I cleaned the shit out of it last night, took apart both mags and saw they looked fine, left them loaded overnight to help break in the spring, and I give another oiling right before going out to the range today so maybe something there helped. 🤷‍♂️

And yes I totally agree about comparing how I handle another .45 to this PPQ and I've tried to get any of my friends or brother to join me but with this corona crap going on they're either busy or trying to keep distant, even the ranges out by me won't rent out any gear or guns cuz of covid19, not to mention the drive on ammo; it sucks!

Speaking of ammo it doesn't look like I can't really get GECO out here in the Midwest but Speer Lawman's always around, so I'll give that one a go over the Winchester and see how that works out.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I’ve run the same 230 grain Winchester ball ammo through my Q45. It has eaten everything I’ve feed it.
Ive run some low powered federal suppressor ammo through it as well with my suppressor attached, no failures at all even with the stock recoil spring.
I only say this because I doubt it was an ammo related issue.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
The clue is in when loaded with more than 10 rounds. When the slide is over the magazine the breech rail presses the entire stack down...creating drag as the slide moves rearward after a shot if fired. Since the next round is not being caught by the nose of the rail....mag lip drag has not had a chance to even enter the equation...the slide isn't being moved far enough rearward for the stack to move up and the slide is simply closing, dragging over the stack again. Firmer grip, recoil spring too strong, clean and lube but most likely the ammo isn't up to snuff for the job and the pistol is new, not fully broken in including the mag. 1917

·
Premium Member
8,503 Posts
I did do a few things; I cleaned the shit out of it last night, took apart both mags and saw they looked fine, left them loaded overnight to help break in the spring, and I give another oiling right before going out to the range today so maybe something there helped. 🤷‍♂️

Speaking of ammo it doesn't look like I can't really get GECO out here in the Midwest but Speer Lawman's always around,

Thanks everyone!
A couple things... loading a mag won't really do a lot to break in a spring. It is the compression and expansion of the spring that does the trick.

When you are looking for ammo try ammoseek: Geco .45 ACP/Auto Ammo handgun
They just updated ammoseek and I see a few places with GECO...I've used ammoseek and the online dealers there for years without a problem. You can tell exactly what your costs are.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A couple things... loading a mag won't really do a lot to break in a spring. It is the compression and expansion of the spring that does the trick.

My experience has been the opposite. When I had a lot of trouble fully loading some mags, I left them fully loaded for a few days, never had an issue since. YMMV.
Also, the only ammo that EVER has been issue for me with my Walthers was Blazer aluminum case ammo. Both in .40 and 9mm PPQ guns. The ammo loaded and fired fine, but the extractor just rode over the rim during extraction and they wouldn't extract. The aluminum case ammo works fine in ALL my many other 9mm, (the Walther is my only .40 so I can't say about other brands).

Jeff

·
Premium Member
8,503 Posts
I've had Q 9mm mags left fully loaded for months in my range bag (all my mags are numbered) and in fact all my mags are kept fully loaded at all times for all my Qs 9mm and my Q 45, my P99s and my PPK (s) and PPK/S (s).
In the case of the PPQ mags they are at least 8 years old and those springs are as strong as the day the came out of the package or at least loading mags hasn't gotten easier and they feed just as well.

·
Registered
815 Posts
aRT5.
Walther chose magazine springs that remain in the elastic deformation region. So compressing with a full mag would not cause permanent plastic deformation. The springs should return to full range.
Work hardening fatique failure would require years of cycles.
A couple of weeks ago Wilson Combat Bill Wilson had a videos on his magazine development. He mentioned that the very popular 47D 8 rnd .45 ACP spring if left loaded for a year or so can permanently compress. So change the spring each year. People still buy them and he has not changed the spring naterial. The 7 rnd 47 magazine can be left loaded for years without that problem.

You mentioned that you disassembled and cleaned the mags. Be sure to remove shipping oil and any fine plastic flashings.
Be sure to seat the springs and follower when reassembling. I am sure you did.
Take a look at the loading ramp underside of the slide. Perhaps there is some brass buildup.
As mentioned use .45 acp ammo with nominal 835 fps for 230 gr. fmj

Consider loading each full magazine with the slide locked back. Carefully insert and latch, wiggle to be sure proper alignment then over hand pull back the slide and let go.
Try for three or four mags and see if you have any misfeeds.

Beside all previous mentions. My question is if you have the empty pistol with the slide in battery, then put a full loaded mag in. This the magazine catch readily engage? Does the magazine seem properly seated?
If not then try again but depress the mag catch when inserting the full magazine.
These suggestions are some things I have done with some other pistols when new. In particular an original lcp. And one of my new at the time PPS classic magazines.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts