Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a new PPQ in 22lr. I have not fired it yet, but it is already broken. I noticed a sound like something inside was loose and moving around. I took it apart and sure enough there was something.
Bumper Tints and shades Automotive exterior Table Fender

Hand Gesture Nail Finger Thumb

Cosmetics Nail polish Gesture Thumb Nail

I just got this gun and in my possession it has not been dropped or fired. I am going to contact Walther after posting here and see what they say.

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDPc 4", PDPc 5", Q5 Match, PPS M2, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
233 Posts
Walther has a great warranty and a 30 day money back guarantee. They will most definitely make it right. It sucks to have a problem with a new gun like that. I know first hand how disappointing it can be when problems arise on a new gun. Thankfully Walther stands behind their products and will take care of any issues.

Reactions: ballayre

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am pretty confident they will make it right, just sucks and I wanted to share what is going on. Not bashing them, I do love me PPQ M1 9mm, that is why I bought the PPQ 22 😀

·
Registered
401 Posts
It looks to me like somewhere along the line, someone pulled the trigger with the slide off.

The hammer flies forward and strikes that part of the receiver, usually breaking it off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Walther has already sent the form to return the gun to them. Only issue I am going to have I see, is that I will have to make sure I am home the day they return the gun to me as it requires an adult signature. This will mean taking a vacation day from work to set and wait for it to be delivered. Sorry but that just sucks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks to me like somewhere along the line, someone pulled the trigger with the slide off.

The hammer flies forward and strikes that part of the receiver, usually breaking it off.
Interesting and good to know. Not sure how the piece would be inside if that happened unless it just weakened it and then later broke off.

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
I use the US Post Office site 'informed delivery' Informed Delivery I'm able to log in and see ALL my incoming mail and packages. I'm also able to leave an electronic 'signature' for any and all mail that requires a signature. Which means, you have the option to use the 'electronic signature on file' and they'll leave the package on the porch/mailbox.

Maybe you could have the post office hold that package for pickup. You could take a long lunch and swing by the post office or leave work an hour early.........

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use the US Post Office site 'informed delivery' Informed Delivery I'm able to log in and see ALL my incoming mail and packages. I'm also able to leave an electronic 'signature' for any and all mail that requires a signature. Which means, you have the option to use the 'electronic signature on file' and they'll leave the package on the porch/mailbox.

Maybe you could have the post office hold that package for pickup. You could take a long lunch and swing by the post office or leave work an hour early.........
Thanks for the suggestion. They didn’t Give me an option besides FedEx. I will ask them though

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
If you have a 'Fedex' account, you are probably able to do something similar. Have them 'hold' your package for 'customer pickup'. The only problem ' I ' would have with that is that the Fedex facility is a loooooong drive from my house. While the USPS is about 3 minutes away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah FedEx is a little drive but not horrible. Though it might be a long wait for pick up. They said they could ship it to my local FFL but then I have to pay them their fee. I will probably just use a vacation day and then if it come early I can still work part of my day. That will probably suck the least. I can probably also safely go in early and work 3 hours or so then go home and wait. I’ll get it figured out 😀

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDPc 4", PDPc 5", Q5 Match, PPS M2, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
233 Posts
Just to add to the discussion, some of the shipping requirements are not Walther's decision. It has to do with the way federal law allows for shipping of firearms. USPS won't ship handguns at all (to my knowledge) so they have to go via a 3rd party service like UPS or FedEx. And the government says that all firearms have to go to an FFL Unless it is your firearm AND you are sending it to the manufacturer for repair AND it is returned to the address it was sent from.

The signature requirement may or may not be a Walther thing. However, regardless of whether Walther alone requires that or FedEx/UPS requires that for handguns (to cover their own liability and avoid package theft), shouldn't really matter. That's definitely one type of item that you do not want stolen off your porch. I'm pretty rural and I still wouldn't want a firearm returned to me without a signature requirement. That's just not a police report I would want to make.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just to add to the discussion, some of the shipping requirements are not Walther's decision. It has to do with the way federal law allows for shipping of firearms. USPS won't ship handguns at all (to my knowledge) so they have to go via a 3rd party service like UPS or FedEx. And the government says that all firearms have to go to an FFL Unless it is your firearm AND you are sending it to the manufacturer for repair AND it is returned to the address it was sent from.
(SNIP) I'm pretty rural and I still wouldn't want a firearm returned to me without a signature requirement. That's just not a police report I would want to make.
That is my understanding as well. Long guns - yes, handguns - no.

I wouldn't risk having it just dropped on the porch either. I once had a $3000 camera lens dropped (literally) on the porch by FedUp. I heard it hit the concrete from inside the house. I was OK, but I wasn't happy...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand and agree, and it is not like I want my gun setting on the front porch all day, I work 5 mins from home though and have a camera. I would know the moment it was left and would be there with in five mins. It doesn’t really matter though. It is what it is. It will require and adult signature and I will need to be here. That is the easiest way to handle it. I will mis some work, but I think I can narrow it down to a 4 hour window.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
USPS allows an FFL01 to ship a handgun to another FFL01. They allow anyone to ship a long gun but I've found it's just easier to go through UPS/FedEx.

I had numerous handguns and long guns left at my front door before I figured out that my UPS/FedEx accounts were set up authorizing the driver to sign for me. Best of all is just to have them hold it for you and pick it up in person.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the same problem with my PPQ 22. Called Walther and they replaced it. I strongly recommend using snap caps to prevent this from happening again.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had the same problem with my PPQ 22. Called Walther and they replaced it. I strongly recommend using snap caps to prevent this from happening again.

Good to know. I do use snap caps in all of my guns if I dry fire them. I honestly had not even dry fired this gun. I had only been home for probably 30 mins after getting the gun. Had it setting beside my other PPQ and was looking at the 2 of them. I noticed the noice and took it apart to find it was broken. The reason I have heard on here about how this happens seems plausible to me. And I am not sure what happened before I bought this. It is a new gun though, but obviously somewhat happened along the way. At least I found it before shooting, though not sure it isn’t safe to shoot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good to know. I do use snap caps in all of my guns if I dry fire them. I honestly had not even dry fired this gun. I had only been home for probably 30 mins after getting the gun. Had it setting beside my other PPQ and was looking at the 2 of them. I noticed the noice and took it apart to find it was broken. The reason I have heard on here about how this happens seems plausible to me. And I am not sure what happened before I bought this. It is a new gun though, but obviously somewhat happened along the way. At least I found it before shooting, though not sure it isn’t safe to shoot.
I believe mine became weak as the result of the hammer hitting that part when I had the frame off for cleaning. Or that dry fire you have to do first to get the slide off. It's not a strong part and really needs to be redesigned as we are far from the only ones to have this problem. Maybe someone at the place you purchased it from dry fired it a bunch of times prior to it getting into your hands?

Regardless, Walther will have it back to you quickly and you'll be happily plinking away with it. Enjoy it as it is fun to shoot!

·
Registered
468 Posts
My experience with Walther was week or so turn around town. That's pretty good. But still....

I'd take advantage of the money back guarantee. Send that sucker back and take the check in the mail. No way I would burn a vacation day and hope UPS/Fedex does right by me. The way things are today you're liable to take the day off and have the delivery delayed due to weather/staffing shortage/alien abduction. Now you have to take two days off (or more :oops:)

Either buy a brand new PPQ 22 or consider something different. (I have really high praise for my Walther/Colt 1911 .22)

·
Super Moderator
2,666 Posts
My experience with Walther was week or so turn around town. That's pretty good. But still....

I'd take advantage of the money back guarantee. Send that sucker back and take the check in the mail. No way I would burn a vacation day and hope UPS/Fedex does right by me. The way things are today you're liable to take the day off and have the delivery delayed due to weather/staffing shortage/alien abduction. Now you have to take two days off (or more :oops:)

Either buy a brand new PPQ 22 or consider something different. (I have really high praise for my Walther/Colt 1911 .22)
Good advice for the current situation we find ourselves in.

You could potentially lose a few days of work as deliveries these days are erratic at best.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Good advice for the current situation we find ourselves in.

You could potentially lose a few days of work as deliveries these days are erratic at best.
I'm surprised that now, after the holidays, deliveries are still inconsistent.

I had a "2nd Day Air" delivery scheduled and confirmed for Friday, and didn't get an update saying otherwise. When it didn't arrive, I checked, and it had been rescheduled for the following Monday.

This was at work, so no big deal, but if I'd taken a day off to receive it I'd be pretty ticked.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts