Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi WF! I am new to the forum and have been a die hard 007 fan since i was a young buck. My 30th bday was JAmes bond themed and my wedding in April will be the same. I just got my hands on my first PPKs and I am in love. Out of the 30 odd firearms I own, this one is by far my favorite.

I was wondering if anyone could help answer a few questions for me.

1. How do I find information and the history of my firearm?
2. Is there any way to determine the value of it?
3. Would getting it re-blued devalue it?
4. Would capping the barrel with a threaded extension for a suppressor devalue it?
5. Is there anywhere I can go to get the readers digest version of the history of this beautiful firearm?

Thanks in advance!
Future PPKs collector

Attachments

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Hi WF! I am new to the forum and have been a die hard 007 fan since i was a young buck. My 30th bday was JAmes bond themed and my wedding in April will be the same. I just got my hands on my first PPKs and I am in love. Out of the 30 odd firearms I own, this one is by far my favorite.

I was wondering if anyone could help answer a few questions for me.

1. How do I find information and the history of my firearm?
Here. Lets have a pic of the mark on the barrel visible in the ejection port.

2. Is there any way to determine the value of it?
Probably.

3. Would getting it re-blued devalue it?
Yes.

4. Would capping the barrel with a threaded extension for a suppressor devalue it?
Yes.

5. Is there anywhere I can go to get the readers digest version of the history of this beautiful firearm?
Developed as the Walther PP (police pistol) in 1929, the PPK is a smaller version meant for plain clothes detectives. First double action/single action pistol, first loaded chamber indicator, first decocker.
Banned from import in the US with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (because only criminals would want an assault pistol!), replaced with the PPK/S for the US market (PP grip, PPK barrel and slide).
Made by various suppliers in the US, last by Smith and Wesson until 2013. IN production hiatus since, promised to be shipped again in late January this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_PP#PPK

And the book by Dieter Marschall (a member here):

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/walther-book-model-1-ppx.html

·
Registered
629 Posts
Dieter Marschall's book from Legacy Collectables will give you detailed information about the whole PPK line for minimal cost. There is also a ton of info in the FAQ section of this forum, as well ass hundreds of old assrchived threads in this sub forum (which I myself am still going through).

Threading the barrel has been discussed several times and is not feasible for the most part with the exception of a few .22 examples. For that, you would be better off picking up the Umarex PPK/S in .22lr that can be suppressed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Looks like the VA symbol in the ejection port view of the barrel, ie a Ranger-made product, possibly early 80s from the serial (although that is more art than science it appears). Interesting back strap work, though.

A lot of carbon fouling on the nose, and why is the cartridge indicator pin showing when the slide is back?

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
Hard to judge from the pics, but the gun appears in great shape. Resist the urge to change it; they aren't making 'em like that anymore.
Presume it's a .380. The .32 version is more pleasant to shoot. They are handsome pistols, and feel great in the hand.
Moon
ETA
Is the skateboard tape on the backstrap your doing?
M

·
Registered
1 Posts
For what it's worth, I've shot suppressed .380 PPKs and they are neither quiet, nor pleasant, to shoot due to blowback. They really are terrible suppressor hosts. And yes, threading the barrel really hurts the value.

But like you, I grew up reading the Ian Fleming books and watching the movies, so of course I had to have a suppressed PPK. After my experiences with the centerfire ones, though, I decided a .22RF would be the best host. The "new" pot metal examples are less than 007 quality, though.

I decided to find a well-worn Interarms import, and came across this 1972 W. German Interarms import PPK/S in .22RF. It had enough wear that I didn't mind threading it.

My son is an 07/02 FFL/SOT licensed manufacturer, and he built me the perfect suppressor: The outer tube is brushed blued steel, it wears the Universal Exports logo from Bond's business card in the movies, and it is serial-numbered to match my host Walther. And yes, it is very quiet to shoot. A lifelong dream fulfilled.

The logo:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts