Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm new to the forum, I was in a local gun shop a week ago looking for a small compact pistol for a carry piece. I almost got a Glock? too bulky? I almost got a Khar? just to expensive for a thin polymer 9mm.

The dealer recommended the Walther PPKS, The dealer informmed me the PPK is still the number #1 off duty and plain clothes carry piece. So I held it in my hand, the Walther had a perfect marriage to my hand. In conclusion "I bought it.:D "

Now my question is this? how reliable is the PPKS and could anyone recommend a good defence load.

Does anyone on this forum carry the PPKS?

Thank You
SifuJg

·
Registered
118 Posts
SifuJG,

Scroll down a few threads on this forum and read the thread "Reliability Estimate". I asked a question that prompted much good discussion and information about the PPK/S-1.

I have found much confusion-based discussion/opinion about 9mm vs: .380 and about ammo type. Today I found some clarifying information on the internet at http://www.theboxotruth.com

Real testing data is provided and one can come to some proper conclusions about size and type of ammo. And, many other issues of interest.

Dave

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
How reliable is it? Kinda late now, you already bought it! :D

Just kidding Sifu. Welcome to the forum. I'd be surprised to find that the ppks is the "#1 off duty and plainclothes carry piece." Haven't heard that before.

I routinely carry the ppk/s and I have no issues with it's reliability. I stick with Federal Hydra-shoks, but I don't see much of a difference between factory loads. Placement is everything.

Have fun and stay safe.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, I suggest you shoot it a couple hundred rounds or so, before you
carry it. And, I suggest if you want reliability you should carry only factory
ammunition.

I have one that gave me problems, mostly with my reloads. I put over 800
rounds through it before I felt confident enough to carry it. I carry it with
factory Speer HP ammo now.

I can't get the thing to shoot my reloads reliably. :mad:
I've been reloading for over 30 years, so I know what I'm doing. This thing
is temperamental!

I guess I need to talk to someone about getting it "Throated" and/or polished
in the correct places.

I hope yours works better for you, out of the box, than mine did! :)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've carried my stainless Interarms Walther PPK since becoming a police officer in 1988. It's never failed me. I carry Winchester Silvertips. I know the limitations of the .380 round, but I'm confident that shot placement will get the job done. I suggest that whatever round you carry, you ensure it feeds and works in your gun to your satisfaction.

Last time I qualified, I scored a 485/500. Our course is as follows:

7 yards - 2 rounds from holster (DA, SA)
2 rounds from holster
2 rounds from holster, reload, fire 2 more (DA, SAx3)
2 rounds from holster
2 rounds from holster

3 rounds from holster
3 rounds from holster, reload, fire 3 more (DA, SAx5)
3 rounds from holster

15 yards - 3 rounds from holster
3 rounds from holster, reload, fire 3 more (DA, SAx5)
3 rounds from holster
6 rounds from holster (DA, SAx5)

25 yards - 6 rounds from holster, reload, fire 2 more (DA, SAx7)

Qualifying is 70% or a score of 350 out of 500.

One goofball on my department complained about how poorly he qualified with his PPK. He whined that he shouldn't have to shoot it at 25 yards. He claimed, "guns like this aren't designed to shoot from so far away, they're just for close up!" As the Range Officer who put his through the course, I replied, "Hmmm. That's odd because I just shot a 485 with mine. I don't think it's the gun...I think it must be you."

-Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts