Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Earlier this summer I bought the new (Arkansas) PPK/S .380 in stainless steel. I really enjoy shooting this pistol and love its appearance.

One thing I dislike, though is that no one makes a wood grip for this configuration, not even Walther. You see, the backstrap is open, so grips have to wrap around the back of the gun and conceal this.

I hope that some of the of the grips manufacturers will step up.

Regards,

Jim Stoneback
Grottoes, VA

As 1917 has pointed out to me. I have a PPK, NOT PPK/S. So, NEVER MIND.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
You have a PPK, not a PPK/S. Yes the PPK has a wrap around grip and always has. The PPK/S introduced after the 1968 Gun Control Act forbid importation of the PPK, is a combination of the PPK and PP pistol. A slightly larger pistol and one with side grips only. 1917

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Aftermarket grips are available for PPK pistols. Here is one site. Do make sure they fit the new Ft Smith PPK. Interarms/Ranger made PPK pistols as did Smith and Wesson. I note the grips below don't fit those pistols. They make no mention of the new Walther/Umarex pistol manufactured at Ft. Smith, Arkansas so I would ask before ordering and you might ask why they don't fit. Some aftermarket grips interfere with the sear/cocking piece. Sometimes a little wood can be removed to cure this....but they should be able to advise. I think there are several other places that make the wrap around grips for a PPK. Good luck.

GRIPS4u.net 1917

·
Registered
9,567 Posts

Another link to wood grips. They say these fit the new Ft Smith PPK. Fitment issues usually are where aftermarket grips interfere with the rotation of the sear/cocking piece. Sometimes removing a little wood from the inside of the grip to provide necessary clearance cures any issues. I'd just call em and make sure there are no issues. 1917

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Altamont makes grips specifically for the Fort Smith guns. They are the only one I know of doing that.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts

Photo of a Ranger PPK/S and as you can see there is a solid steel backstrap on this model. The PP versions also have a solid backstrap.

I should again tell the story on this pistol. A Client purchased it new. Brought it out to me while we were landscaping his yard and asked if I could cut the recoil spring in half or something so that he could cycle the slide. No, and I told him why. He closed the box up and handed it to me..."In that case I don't want it, you can have it." He wouldn't take any money for it either. 1917

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have a PPK, not a PPK/S. Yes the PPK has a wrap around grip and always has. The PPK/S introduced after the 1968 Gun Control Act forbid importation of the PPK, is a combination of the PPK and PP pistol. A slightly larger pistol and one with side grips only. 1917

By golly, you're right! Well now, that changes everything.;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Altamont grips for the PPK are for the older S&W models. They can be made to fit the Ft, Smith model with some carving but you have to be good at this sort of thing. I've made the modification and the grips work fine. you should be comfortable with your ability to modify the grips before attempting.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
The Altimount grips don't wrap around the backstrap.
Why do you say that? All PPK grips wrap around the rear of the grip. Whether they fit properly on any given pistol is another issue. I'd give em a call and see what they say if you see any you like. Wood grips do look good. PPK Altamont grips below. 1917

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
The Altamont grips for the PPK are for the older S&W models. They can be made to fit the Ft, Smith model with some carving but you have to be good at this sort of thing. I've made the modification and the grips work fine. you should be comfortable with your ability to modify the grips before attempting.
Their web site says they fit the new Ft Smith pistol. I wonder have they made the necessary modifications that you did so there is clearance. 1917

·
Registered
9,567 Posts

Nills makes PPK grips as well. It says they are not for S&W PPK pistols. Is the rear tongue the problem? Says they fit US models and Interarms. Doesn't say anything about German guns. Anyone know exactly what the problem is with fitment on the various PPK models? 1917

·
Registered
98 Posts
The sad thing is they have so many models now the early PPK the ranger alabama the sw deal the new 2019 model.its all a fit and trial and error deal now.And we always have this i have a PPK/S and they send me PPK grip thing.Or will German grips fit my French model??

·
Super Moderator
7,183 Posts
Check with the individual manufacturers about fitment.
Moon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts