Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, newbie here. I just bought a PPK/S for my wife, we took it to the range and it stove piped 35/40 rounds. Very frustrating. We were using Fiocchi FMJ. We did shoot one round of Winchester hollow point and it stove piped too. The gun shop had me leave it with their gunsmith, but I'm not sure he'll know what to do. I've read about trying different ammo, changing to a lighter spring, running 150 rounds through... I've never owned a firearm before that functioned this poorly. My wife's in love with the gun and I'd love to love it since it's so beautiful, feels and shoots great (one at a time). The guy will refund my money, and I could try buying a different one if this is just a lemon. Advice? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
...The guy will refund my money, and I could try buying a different one if this is just a lemon. Advice?
I'm assuming this is a brand new S&W gun? In any event, that's a very high failure rate -- go for the refund (if he's offering) and look for another.

·
Registered
273 Posts
More info would help... was it brand new or just new to you? Was it 380 or 32acp?
If it was brand new you could send it back under warrantee....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brand new .380. So you guys don't usually see a whole lot of stove piping in a new PPK/S. Your guns are reliable out of the box?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
With the S&W version it seems to be either they're flawless or they're a disaster. Hit-or-miss... pardon th' pun.

At least you have recourse.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Don't send it back to the factory and start that revolving door process of aimless spring changes and feed ramp polishing. If the seller is offering to take it back - do it and consider yourself lucky. Many have not been so fortunate.

If/when you do replace it, I'd also give serious consideration to the MUCH more reliable .32 caliber model...

Really.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did you clean an lube it correctly first? It may be a silly question, but I've had plenty of rifles an handguns returned that wouldn't cycle only to find the action still covered with packing grease.

·
Banned
1,543 Posts
I'd exchange and go for the .32 instead. You may just be going down a long road to make a .380 reliable and I've not had any luck with any PP series in .380.

The .32, on the other hand, has always worked efficiently, reliably, and accurately.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'd exchange and go for the .32 instead. You may just be going down a long road to make a .380 reliable and I've not had any luck with any PP series in .380.

The .32, on the other hand, has always worked efficiently, reliably, and accurately.
Yeah everyone wants a .32. That's going down a long wrong road IMHO. Stick with the .380.;)

·
Banned
1,543 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The PPK/s .380 being a small frame handgun, you must grip it tightly to give the recoil proper resistance. Even a slight limp wrist can cause ejection problems. I bet I could take that same PPK/s that they are having problems with, and use some good .380 carry Ammo. and with a tight grip on that handgun, have it shoot and eject correct Mag. after Mag.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Yeah everyone wants a .32. That's going down a long wrong road IMHO. Stick with the .380.;)
Right... Stick with the oversized caliber that introduced a boatload of issues to an otherwise problem free platform. You're talking about already changing the springs on a brand new gun.

I bet I could take that same PPK/s that they are having problems with, and use some good .380 carry Ammo. and with a tight grip on that handgun, have it shoot and eject correct Mag. after Mag.
I bet you can't.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Right... Stick with the oversized caliber that introduced a boatload of issues to an otherwise problem free platform. You're talking about already changing the springs on a brand new gun.
I bet you can't.
You don't seem to have any real knowledge of the PPK/s .380, just maybe I can bring to you some better understanding. ;)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You don't seem to have any real knowledge of the PPK/s .380, just maybe I can bring to you some better understanding. ;)
Wrong again... It's because of my knowledge of the PPK/s .380 that I feel comfortable in making the statements that I did...

But please, feel free to revel in the vast knowledge that you proclaim to have... Must be nice to have it all figured out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Let's put it another way--

The orginal question was whether to keep a gun that had 35 of 40 rounds misfeed, now math was not my strong suit but--that amounts to a question of "should I get my money back or keep a gun that has a current misfeed rate of 87.5% failure.

Run Forest RUN!!!;);)

Caliber is a whole different subject.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Wrong again... It's because of my knowledge of the PPK/s .380 that I feel comfortable in making the statements that I did...

But please, feel free to revel in the vast knowledge that you proclaim to have... Must be nice to have it all figured out.
I have given the OP the best advice. All you need to do is read what I have written. I have read your IMHO poor advice given to the OP.
Number one:Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM
...The guy will refund my money, and I could try buying a different one if this is just a lemon. Advice?
Your advice:
I'm assuming this is a brand new S&W gun? In any event, that's a very high failure rate -- go for the refund (if he's offering) and look for another.
Number two:
Again your advice:
Don't send it back to the factory and start that revolving door process of aimless spring changes and feed ramp polishing. If the seller is offering to take it back - do it and consider yourself lucky. Many have not been so fortunate.
All the poor advice you have given the OP is to just give up. And take more poor advice and get something he really did not want, meaning the .32.

If you don't have any good answers I guess just giving the OP bad advice will be the best you can do.
I hope you did learn about the Wolff recoil springs hope this will guide you on a better path of understanding how important the recoil springs can be when shooting range type Ammo. or having a problem with your grip.:)

·
Banned
1,543 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts