Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have an extremely hard safety ? it takes a VERY hard push to click it on or off. I have cycled it over and over hoping it would gety easier. anybody else have a very tight safety. almost impossible to click it off or on while holding it to push it with my thumb.

·
Super Moderator
7,361 Posts
Lube the safety drum, and repeatedly work the safety.
The plunger for the drum is on the extractor side, so that is where to concentrate lube.
If that doesn't smooth it, either you'll have to learn how to take out the safety, or send it back to Ft. Smith.
Moon

·
Registered
113 Posts
New Ft. Smith PPK/S is pretty tight all around. I've worked the safety quite a bit and it does get a little easier with time. Older PPK is much easier to operate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Be careful or you'll end up with a safety that switches itself on while firing. There's quite a lengthy thread here on this issue.
That was my concern when I performed a little work on mine. It isn't that difficult to smooth yours out if you know how to disassemble the slide, but all you want to do is polish things a little. The plunger is quite sharp-nosed, and the divots on the safety drum are correspondingly deep and sharp as well. A younger me would have blunted that plunger. Fortunately, older me thought it through first and considered the forces acting on that safety lever during recoil. I hadn't read any threads about it before-hand; glad my intuition was correct.

Just a little polishing is all it needs to get it to the same feel the older ones have. For all I know, the older ones were just as stiff back when they were brand-new.

·
Registered
9,944 Posts

The plunger simply drops into a divot to hold the safety drum in position. To rotate it, the edge of the divot has to cam the plunger tip upward so the part can be rotated. The stiffer the spring....the harder to lift the plunger. The sharper the edge doing the work..the more effort required. I expect rotating the lever back and forth, back and forth will eventually polish that edge a bit but you could very carefully polish the edge of divot where the plunger is lifted will make rotation easier....but, I'd go very slow and then test. You can always polish a bit more but you can't put any steel back on. In the second picture you can see where the plunger has worn the edge of the divot down a bit which makes rotating the safety a pleasure. Ulm pistol.

If you find you have a pistol where the edge is jamming into the side of the plunger in a manner where it has no hope of lifting the part....then it is time for a trip to a gunsmith or Ft Smith. 1917

·
Super Moderator
7,361 Posts
Gene, MG Mike and I had a long discussion about the drop safety of the PP series with the safety off. Suffice it to say that it took several circumstances to make it fire accidentally, so safety off is reasonably safe. Not as secure as modern guns with passive firing pin blocks, but reasonably safe.
Moon

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have found that different suppliers send different sizes for plungers and springs. It is a fine matter to get everything to mate properly so it stays on FIRE and doesn’t drop to SAFE when you’re shooting. Once I have it where it needs to be, I just leave it “safety off, round in the chamber, hammer down”. Never had this problem with an ULM or Manurhin pistol, only with the Rangers, and only then with the .380 chambered pistols. And I hope it never rests it’s ugly head again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,361 Posts
It crosses my mind that 'off safe' is horizontal on the PP at least partly due to recoil forces working on the safety lever.
Moon

·
Registered
629 Posts
It crosses my mind that 'off safe' is horizontal on the PP at least partly due to recoil forces working on the safety lever.
Moon
I have rolled that around in my head for awhile and still don't get it. Recoil forces working on the safety lever? Huh?:unsure:

·
Registered
18 Posts
First post in a very long time. I'm a bit confused. Did the recommended polishing solve the problem? If not,what is the collective wisdom on polishing the space in between the detentes, where the pointed plunger "drags" when moving the safety from off to on? Also, if the problem is caused by a tight fit, that eventually will work out with use, wouldn't there be "drag marks" on the parts involved, thus providing the targets for polishing? Carrying with safety off, may be OK for those very experienced drawing from a holster under stress.
Thanks for any replies.

·
Super Moderator
7,361 Posts
I have rolled that around in my head for awhile and still don't get it. Recoil forces working on the safety lever? Huh?:unsure:
It may not really signify, but picture the safety positions reversed; the off-safe lever would be at 70* to the direction the slide would be abruptly moving when the gun is discharged. Would inertia tend to snap the safety to the 'on' position at that point? Maybe.
Off the top of my head, most slide mounted safeties or decockers work the same way.
Just thinking out loud.
Moon

·
Registered
113 Posts
First post in a very long time. I'm a bit confused. Did the recommended polishing solve the problem? If not,what is the collective wisdom on polishing the space in between the detentes, where the pointed plunger "drags" when moving the safety from off to on? Also, if the problem is caused by a tight fit, that eventually will work out with use, wouldn't there be "drag marks" on the parts involved, thus providing the targets for polishing? Carrying with safety off, may be OK for those very experienced drawing from a holster under stress.
Thanks for any replies.
I have a new Ft. Smith PPK/S which had a very tight safety. It was hard to operate with the thumb and I have pretty strong hands. After cycling the safety, probably about a hundred times it has become easier. It's almost comparable to my older PPK which is in almost new condition. The safety is hardly floppy. It's way too tight to move by itself. I wouldn't try to polish the parts but would rather let the gun's parts work themself in with use.

·
Registered
293 Posts
To me, safety off is more intuitive and less complicated than drawing, flicking the safety off, and then shooting. Kinda like a revolver in that regard. Although safety on is trainable. Safety on is safer, I guess, in theory at least, but as I said, I've never dropped a pistol.

My Ps work fine with the safety either on or off. Recoil would I believe move the safety opposite the direction of the slide. If anything at all.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I realize drop-safe is important, but I have to say I've never dropped a pistol.
I have dropped two loaded pistols. A Glock 19 on to a carpet and a Sig P938 on to concrete. I was very happy that both were modern designs with drop safties.

My older handguns are all range toys but if I decided to carry one it would be in a holster with the safety on.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Come to think of it, I had a 1911 fall out of my shoulder holster locked and cocked on marble steps in the courthouse. Very embarrassing. But I've not dropped one out of my hands. Despite the 1911 episode, I'm an old revolver guy, and with all the force it takes to fire a revolver DA and with a PPK, I trust it not to go off unintentionally.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here's my short thread on my drum replacement.

The new drum being cycled...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts