Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going folks. I recently acquired a PPK/S SS .380 made by interarms. I've been reading alot about how picky the gun can be with ammunition and was curious about what you folks were shooting with good results. I'm willing to try a couple different brands, I would just like to cut the selection down to the best so I'm not throwing away money. Also, I'm coming from a Ruger P89 9mm and was wondering what I can expect accuracy wise and recoil wise as compared to a 9mm. I'm asking that more for my wife because she wasn't all that fond of the recoil on the 9mm. One more thing. What websites do you use for accesories ? I'm looking for grips and a holster mainly. Thanks for any and all input, and sorry for the loooong first post

·
Registered
821 Posts
I know this isn't a statistically significant number, but just got back home from the range with my new PPK/s in .380 .  Bought some Winchester White Box from wally world and shot 50 rounds thru the brand new pistol (my wife and I were focusing on her technique with her P22).

Extremely smooth, all rounds fed and firedflawlessly through the PPK/s.  No failures to eject, nothing!!!  Didn't shoot high like some others have complained with .380.  I have read that Federal Hydrashok are good personal defense rounds for the PPK/s, but from my short experience with the 50 rounds I fired, the WWB at wally world worked just fine, and were only $17.50 or so for 100...

As far as accessories, I'll let someone else tend to that one, I'm not sure I'm the guy to answer that one.

Only bad thing about tonight, I have to clean two guns!!!

-stunks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ammo
My PPK/S is a stainless 1980 model and likes the Winchester White Box with the brass enclosed base as well as Georgia Arms Gold Dots. It's been finicky with the JHP's that wallyworld offers (I don't remember the mfg) so I've been sticking with the Gold Dots. I carry two mags with the BEB round and two with GD's. The BEB bullet shape looks like it would do more damage than just a smooth FMJ.

Mags
I am happy with the factory grips and I picked up a couple of Safariland Metal Clip-On Mag Holder's. See attached pic and click here
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1725.php

Holster
Today I picked up what may be my best holster, a simple OWB slide style made at a local gun shop. It sits tight on my belt and close to my side. Depending on what I'm wearing I just prefer OWB to IWB.

Recoil
IMHO the recoil is sharp. I don't have any experience with a Ruger but I could shoot my Glock 26 all day long and enjoy it. A box of 50 through the PPK/S means a sore hand the next day.

Accuracy
Great - my groups are similiar between the Glock and the Walther. I'm not trying for offhand 50 yd bullseye but out to 10 or 11 yards I can easily do 2" patterns just plinking. Need more practice though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here's my favorite grip company that I have used for both CCW and competition:

http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merchant.ihtml?id=74&step=2

If you're going to carry it CCW against your skin I'd highly recomend a smooth pair rather than checkered. Checkered grips feel like I'm wearing a meat tenderizing hammer or one of my old skateboards. The grip will be a little wider but it's all for the better. If teh factory finish starts coming off just sand them down with 1500 grit sandpaper and apply a few coats of your favorite car wax (no kidding).

Since the PP,PPK,PPK/S all have only one grip screw to assemble the left and right panels it would be a good idea to have them glass-bedded for a perfect fit. Some Hogues have a tendancy to rotate while firing. I even went so far as to releave mine out a little more in the area of the sear with a Dremel tool at low speeds.

For accessories I usually go straight to the manufacturer's sight. If they don't sell direct sometimes I'll go to Brownells. Mostly I'll just chicken out and do a Froogle.com search and see who has it cheapest.

For custom work I'm all for Cylinder and Slide in Nebraska: http://www.cylinder-slide.com.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Mine is a Interarms stainless from 80's I also use Wal mart and Magtec ammo. For SD carry and thats my PPK 90% of time I use CorBon 90grHP. their a new CorBon coming out in June . Will be a DPX bullet should be great in a PPK/S.
I have Bufflo Horn grips on mine from Ajax Grips I also have similated Ivory from them. Nice yellow cast like age. Pacmyer makes grips also but I don't use rubber on carry guns.
Dom Hume has holsters I have a nice pocket holster and a IWB from them Both holsters are less than 30 bucks each and are made of leather.
I belive the PPK with CorBon is a bit snappy its like 1050FPS and 220 lbs of energy. I carry to mags no finger rest in a nylon knife sheath. Every one carrys a folder today and no one notices. I use ONLY factory mags for carry and keep pistol clean and oiled and NEVER had a Problem. Remember the heavy trigger pull is first shot in SD You will not notice if its for real. Leave it alone and carry safety off ready to go,just like a revlover. Oh your PPK may give you a love bite now and then if it does your just bonding with it and gripping to high up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I purchased a box of the Winchester White Box and I also picked up a 20 rounds of the Federal Hydrashock and 20 rounds of the CorBon. I'm really looking forward to getting out and putting some rounds thru it
I love the Hogue grips that I have on my Ruger but they are rubber with the finger grips as opposed to the hard ones that they make for the walther. I think the Pachmayr grips might fit my taste better but would like to hear opinions on them. The gun is not going to be a carry gun at this time (no CCW yet) but will be along for the ride on 4 Wheeling trips, camping, hiking etc. My father-in-law carried this pistol for many years as a back-up when he was with the San Francisco PD. Because of this there is some noticeable wear on the pistol (not sure what kind of holster was used). I'm new to SS pistols so am curious if there's anything to be done to re-finish or just clean up the exterior. The first thing I did was field strip this thing so I know that the internals are pristine. Being an ex-police officer piece it was very well taken care of. I only wish that the exterior was a nice as the internals. Thanks again for the opinions...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought a PPK and a P99, and I'm new to the forum. I don't get this. I put 100 rounds winchester white box through the PPK and it jammed once, then I put 20 rounds 90gr Cor Bon through it and it james at least a half dozen times. I'm scared to death to try the P99 tomorrow. Some people say it's break in, the guys at the Beretta forum say get a ramp job. I don't think new manufacture pistols should require anything. I paid 17.88 for the white box and 21.99 for the Corbons. Any comments would help. The PPK is a stainless Smith model and sadly it actually out performs the Exeter arms one I had in the mid 90's but it's still not close to reliable enough to carry. By the by assumeing I get this thing running where did you get those low profile magaziene holders? That looks really concealable.

·
Registered
83 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (eeni @ April 02 2005,3:50)]I put 100 rounds winchester white box through the PPK and it jammed once, then I put 20 rounds 90gr Cor Bon through it and it james at least a half dozen times. Some people say it's break in, the guys at the Beretta forum say get a ramp job. I don't think new manufacture pistols should require anything. I paid 17.88 for the white box and 21.99 for the Corbons.
It all depends on what kind of jam it is. Is it not feeding up the ramp into the chamber (hitting the ramp head-on instead of grazing over the top of it)? Is it trying to double feed? Is the slide not closing fully? Does it stovepipe out the ejection port?

Guns do usually have a preference on what ammo they "like" (functioning, accuracy, what it's intended purpose is while hitting the target). It may take a bit of money buying a little bit of every different type of ammo you can find but once you find one that performs reliably in the role you want it to play in, there's little reason to go to something else.

I've even had customers come in my store that only wanted a certain lot number of an ammo type.

As far as break in goes, the two boxes (100 rds. each) should have broken it in by now. Take the slide off and see if there is any gouges in the contact area where the slide contacts the frame. If it's a blued gun threre should only be a smooth blueing wear and that's it.

Also, did you lube the guns at all in the right places? A few drops of oil on each frame rail, smear oil on the last 1/2" of the outside of the bbl. at the muzzle where the slide comes in contact with it and smear the bbl. that is showing through the ejection port with the slide closed.

Here's a good article about lubing a gun:

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/cleaning.shtml

If all that fails then I'd send it back and tell them what ammo you want to use through it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for this tips I used CLP because I thought it would help get the packing grease off, I'm going to switch to Rem Oil and give it a try. Also the malfuctions were almost all nasty double feeds. Difficult to clear even with the extended malfuction drills. Can't lock the slide. I see no obviouse gouges in the pistol. I'm going to up the lube and try another white box, then if that works, I'll try some JHP's. Thanks for the help the pistol shoots great when it works!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts