Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy folks,

I'm having some issues with my new PPK/S stainless (Ft Smith) in 380ACP that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.

I seem to be having a lot of difficulty getting the gun to run when loaded 7+1.

Whenever I insert a fully loaded magazine (7 rds), strip a round into the chamber (now 6 in magazine, 1 in chamber) and try to drop the partially empty magazine - the mag doesn't seem like it wants to drop free (see photo below where the mag sticks). I have to yank it out with a moderate amount of force. I note when I do this, the top round in the magazine slides forward. (see photo below)

If I then insert a fully loaded magazine (7 more rounds, plus 1 already in the chamber) the weapon malfunctions over 90% of the time after the first shot. (see photo below for type of malfunction).

I tried both Walther labeled mags that came with the weapon. Both result in the same situation and both are quite difficult to remove with 6 remaining in the mag and 1 in the chamber.

Ammo being used was Blazer 95gr FMJ and Fiochii 95gr FMJ.

Not sure what to make of this. When not loaded 7+1 the weapon seems to be perfectly reliable (although I only shot about 80 rounds or so) and had no malfunctions unless I was trying to +1 upload the pistol.

I have some Mec-Gar branded magazines and some Federal Black Label 380 ACP I might try at my next range visit.

I spoke to the gun smith at the range and he acted like it was completely normal for my pistol to crap itself when loaded 7+1... I was going to call him a moron but then I realized I'm not that familiar with the PP series outside of what I've seen in the James Bond flicks (which leads me to believe it's accurate at 100 yards and never malfunctions - ever). I thanked him for his 'insight' and decided I'd ask the Walther forums before trashing him.

Is my experience par for the course? Is there something wrong with my gun or mags? Should I send it back to Walther?

Edited for additional info: For clarification, when loaded 7+1, only the 2nd round fired experiences a malfunction. First one goes off fine, second one fails to load properly. IE - the first round the gun tries to strip from the mag has issues. Round 1 fires, round 2 hangs up, round 3,4,5,6,7,8 have no issue (after clearing the malfunction).These issues don't seem to occur while slingshotting a full mag on an empty chamber. I found that the weapon quite eagerly went into battery even with a pretty milquetoast rack if the chamber was empty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I load mine for +1, I start with a magazine with only one round. I load the pistol, then drop the empty mag and replace it with a fully loaded mag. All my single stack 9mm and 380's do what you describe unless I load them as I outlined.

The top round in the mag rides forward, not from you stripping the mag out, but by the slide's action. This is normal. My P210 does the same.

Make sure to tap the magazine so the rounds are fully seated. If they are not, that can induce malfunctions in any gun. If you attempt to load the pistol how you describe, the rounds will not be fully seated when you go to top off the mag.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you scarecrow. That sounds like a very reasonable way to solve my 'problem'. I'm almost positive that something to do with the 6 out of 7 almost full mag hanging up was causing issues. I'm going to try what you said at the range. I'll remember to bring the extra mags and ammo too.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I do the exact same thing as scarecrow144 does. I have also found that not letting the slide go forward via the slingshot method can cause this. Make sure you aren't riding the slide home. Pull the sucker back and let it go!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Upon firing, the slide must recoil with enough force to overcome the recoil spring and the hammer spring (to cock the hammer.) Recoiling over a mag filled with seven rounds pushing up, might be adding just enough friction to cause a stoppage resulting from the slide not coming back far enough to fully eject the spent casing and/or strip off the top round in the mag. Given a stock 20 pound recoil spring, the slide can some times short stroke even with just 6 rounds in the mag. With 7 rounds in the mag, chances are even greater, so another option is to try a reduced power recoil spring.

The best (most reliable) option might be to just go with a 7 round mag and nix the 7+1, especially if you (because of ammo availability) are not always shooting the same ammo.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Somewhere back in the archives they discuss that the mods to the feed ramp/barrel chamber area in the new S&Ws, to allow for Hollow Point and Truncated bullets to load flawlessly, caused the round below the one just chambered to move forward a bit more than prior Walthers, causing the mag to need a pull to get it out... and add one more to top off the mag.
Haven't looked at a new Arkansas pistol but think they'd be the same.

My two S&Ws do this but run fine after doing that with any quality ammo used.
We load our ammo but never had problems with factory ammo as well.

As stated above... load your mags carefully and I tap mine on the back before inserting.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the great replies. I definitely have some good advice to take to my next range trip.

For clarification, when loaded 7+1, only the 2nd round fired experiences a malfunction. First one goes off fine, second one fails to load properly. IE - the first round the gun tries to strip from the mag has issues. Round 1 fires, round 2 hangs up, round 3,4,5,6,7,8 have no issue (after clearing the malfunction).These issues don't seem to occur while slingshotting a full mag on an empty chamber. I found that the weapon quite eagerly went into battery even with a pretty milquetoast rack.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It doesn't take much to screw up the cycling of the PPK and PPK/S in .380 ACP. It would be interesting to know if the design specs considered the upward friction of either 6+1 (PPK) or 7+1 (PPK/S).

PS: For my two stainless steel Ranger PPK pistols, I like to work some Tetra gun grease onto all the slide to frame friction areas. It doesn't take much and I work it in with a q-tip.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I remember my 1974 W. German PPK/S choking once when I +1ed it. I was advised (on this forum) that it the design wasn't really suited for a +1 setup. I dunno. Who knows. But the friction theory seems to make sense. That said... you'd think there'd be more of a "known quantity" with this issue if it was inherent to the design.

I will say that I think it fed okay with a +1 load on other occasions. So, maybe a fluke? But regardless: I want to have +1 capability in a carry gun.

That particular gun also had an issue where the mag would drop out while firing. Every time. Every mag. EXCEPT for the 1 mag that came with the gun--which ran fine all the time (well, except that one +1 incident).

Long story short: I traded it for an East German Makarov. Which I love and still carry. And it runs a +1 setup just fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
According to walther USA gunsmith it's suppose to do that I called them about mine and they said it was normal for the next round to move forward about 1/8 inch it won't hurt the gun simply press the mag release reseat the mag and press the mag release a 2nd time and it should come out easy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I mean, I don’t think the round sliding forward is a problem in itself; all my single-stack 9mms do that... Sig P239, Kahr K9. I think my Sig P230 did it too. Some double stack nines even do it. My Smith 6904 does. I think my Hi Power might do it to some degree. But I think the question is... as cramped and tense as things are in .380 PPK... is that gonna cause an issue with a +1 situation?

I’m thinking maybe “yeah.” Maybe it would be different in a .32/7.65?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
In your first pic the round is entering the chamber from a down angle and most often the jams I see are with the bullet pointing up.... like the Bobcat 22s before they pinched the feed lips in a bit on their mags about a decade ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy folks,

I'm having some issues with my new PPK/S stainless (Ft Smith) in 380ACP that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.

Whenever I insert a fully loaded magazine (7 rds), strip a round into the chamber (now 6 in magazine, 1 in chamber) and try to drop the partially empty magazine - the mag doesn't seem like it wants to drop free (see photo below where the mag sticks). I have to yank it out with a moderate amount of force. I note when I do this, the top round in the magazine slides forward. (see photo below)

If I then insert a fully loaded magazine (7 more rounds, plus 1 already in the chamber) the weapon malfunctions over 90% of the time after the first shot. (see photo below for type of malfunction).

I tried both Walther labeled mags that came with the weapon. Both result in the same situation and both are quite difficult to remove with 6 remaining in the mag and 1 in the chamber.

Not sure what to make of this. When not loaded 7+1 the weapon seems to be perfectly reliable (although I only shot about 80 rounds or so) and had no malfunctions unless I was trying to +1 upload the pistol.

I have some Mec-Gar branded magazines and some Federal Black Label 380 ACP I might try at my next range visit.

I spoke to the gun smith at the range and he acted like it was completely normal for my pistol to crap itself when loaded 7+1... I was going to call him a moron but then I realized I'm not that familiar with the PP series outside of what I've seen in the James Bond flicks (which leads me to believe it's accurate at 100 yards and never malfunctions - ever). I thanked him for his 'insight' and decided I'd ask the Walther forums before trashing him.

Is my experience par for the course? Is there something wrong with my gun or mags? Should I send it back to Walther?

Edited for additional info: For clarification, when loaded 7+1, only the 2nd round fired experiences a malfunction. First one goes off fine, second one fails to load properly. IE - the first round the gun tries to strip from the mag has issues. Round 1 fires, round 2 hangs up, round 3,4,5,6,7,8 have no issue (after clearing the malfunction).These issues don't seem to occur while slingshotting a full mag on an empty chamber. I found that the weapon quite eagerly went into battery even with a pretty milquetoast rack if the chamber was empty.

I alway tap the back of the mag to seat rounds and when I first got the ppk/s the night befor I would go shooting I would load the mags let them sit till I go shooting. Never had a problem. Do u have to walther built ppk/s

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy folks,

I see in the first pic u are useing a snap cap. The a zoom snap caps do not work in this pistol

·
Registered
27 Posts
I never load +1. The gun and magazine were designed for a certain number of rounds. That's what I stick too. Loading +1 is just another chance for a malfunction to happen. If I want more rounds, I'll buy a magazine that holds more or use a gun that has more capacity.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I never load +1. The gun and magazine were designed for a certain number of rounds. That's what I stick too. Loading +1 is just another chance for a malfunction to happen. If I want more rounds, I'll buy a magazine that holds more or use a gun that has more capacity.
I guess I'm unclear on what you're saying. When I hear "+1", I assume they're talking about the six cartridges in the magazine (or whatever the magazine's normal capacity is) and "+1" in the chamber. Which, is standard for pretty much all semi-automatic firearms. Is that what you're talking about?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wonder how common it is for police departments or military organizations to teach or allow this "full magazine plus one in the chamber" tactic?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts