Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day before yesterday I went to the local gun show looking for a small revolver, S&W 357 Airlite or similar, so I could carry more often. None of the revolvers appealed to me, but somehow a Walther PPK/S-1 .380 in stainless steel made by Smith & Wesson followed me home. I hate it when that happens.
(Impulse buy). I had done ZERO research but I liked the gun and the way it felt. I carried it all afternoon and was convinced it was the one - I only had to shoot it.

That evening I scoured the Internet for info, and low and behold 90% of the posts I found are negative. I should preface this post by saying I am not a gun expert, but there seemed to be some confusion between the different PPK/S models (the ones made in Europe, the ones made by Interarms? and the ones made by S&W). In any case, almost all posts talked about jams, skin burns, problems loading, etc. etc. Made me wonder why James Bond would ever use such a piece of garbage.

Yesterday I took it to the range, and I was afraid of pulling the trigger because of all the bad press I read about this gun - but I did it anyway, expecting it to jam. It didn't. I pulled the trigger again. It worked. 100 rounds later (of the cheap Winchester stuff they sell at Walmart). I also put 40 rounds of Winchester Supreme XT - flawless. The groups were tight at 14 and 21 feet and I did not burn my skin once.

This gun weighs 26oz fully loaded with 7+1 380 ammo. The first shot is DA with subsequent shots being SA. You can also cock the hammer manually to make the first shot SA, and it has a decocker/safety similar to the H&K USP. It has a pin that protrudes from the back to let you know it is loaded. It does not have a slide catch/release, which I found odd. It took me a while to figure out how to pull the slide and have it catch to inspect the gun and then another while to figure out how to release it - it will only catch when there is an empty magazine in the gun. To release you need to release the magazine first and then pull the slide back a bit, and it will release. Odd, but I got used to it quickly.

It is thinner and a bit smaller than the Springfield XD Sub, but feels very hefty in the hand (the XD Sub loaded weighed 31oz). Recoil was less than the XD (my XD is a .40). I realize that the .380 caliber (or 9mm short) has its critics and is less powerful than the .40 or .45, or even the standard 9mm, but the gun felt and shot really well.

I was expecting the gun to burst in my hand, again because of all the bad press. I guess my low expectations were easy to surpass, but I am really happy with this gun. It is very, very comfortable to carry with a Protech IWB holster. I guess I'll join the 5% of folks who really like this gun and are happy with its performance.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
concgrats.....and welcome to the boards...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pics of the newest addition to my family, along with some comparison shots.  Click on any image to get a hi-res version.

Here is my PPK/S next to my Springfield XD Subcompact.

From left to right - H&K USP Compact, XD Subcompact, PPK/S.

From top to bottom - H&K USP Compact, XD Subcompact, PPK/S.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Excellent pictures and post. Nice to see a new owner pleased with the S&W model.

I guess with the S&W products, there may be some bad ones out there, as hand-fitting an older design like the PPK series takes time, and time = $.

Please let us know how the reliability holds up after 500, 1,000, and more rounds. From the looks of it, S&W seems to have done a very nice job, but I guess the extended beavertail is not a plus for all folks, and the sharp edges are to be expected at the price point. Much easier to avoid them with polymer pistols.

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
713 Posts
Enjoy you pistol and keep well oiled and clean.It will serve you for years. I have a old Interarms and it is a great pistol. I use as my main carry gun. My 45's stay home most days. I belive 380 at common SD range will do the job. The Best 380 HP now seems to be the Corbon DPX round. 70cal expansion and over 1000FPS with a 80 gr. Copper bullet. I carry mine in a Don Hume pocket holster or DH IWB. with pocket getting nod most of time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Very interesting comparisons, ZB,

Your pics show clearly that the geometrical dimensions don't say much about the size of the gun in real CC life. In this aspect, I prefer to carry a Walther PP or a Colt Commander whose flat and round slide melt on the hip, than a Glock or a SIG...

Along the years, I noticed also that the makers have understood how dimensions are importants for customers. Some have strange ways to measure. For example, Glock advertises on the lengh of the slide, not the overall lengh - so you can add about 1/3" for the barrel muzzle and the grip tang.

All that gives even more sense to the saying that you must try yourself - holding, carrying, shooting - before buying.

L.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome to the PPK/S Fan Club. Took me a bit to get converted. But I did the same impulse buy you did too.

Couple of things to keep it working flawlessly. Never try to load a round into the chamber thru the ejection port - always feed the round into the chamber thru the mag. Else it will FTF. Stay with the plastic grips, wood grips that fit properly are impossible to find (even the factory ones don't fit) and they will also cause a FTF if not fitted properly.

Else just keep her clean and well oiled. She is not a picky eater and will serve you well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought the PPK/S-1 were extremely hard to find. In CA they can be sold but not the PPK/S. I understood that the -1 were made for certain markets with tough gun laws, CA, MA. Can you tell any difference between a S&W PPK/S and a PPK/S-1?

Jerry

·
Registered
120 Posts
That seems to be the question of the hour!!
Just what IS the difference??
Maybe it has a special chip embedded in it that automatically dials the bad guy's lawyer so he can get the lawsuit started!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a S&W PPK/S earlier in the year and have had nothing but problems with it. Jamming every couple of runds eventually smoothed out to one or twice a mag...then the extractor/slide stop snapped in half.

To be fair, the S&W guys are sending me one gratis and were very pleasant, but I'm seriously disappointed with the reliability (but not the accuracy.) I had an FEG .380 knockoff for 10 years that never malfunctioned, and neither has my P99; I would have expected better from Walther.

I'll give her another chance, once I get the part in. Right now, though, I'm having to carry the larger (but lighter) FN 5.7mm. May go back to the P99 compact, if the PPK doesn't behave.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Congrats on your new gun. It is a great gun to hold, shoot & carry. Mine has been very reliable and accurate going on 23 years.

I think the bad press is because larger calibers are now available in sizes and weights closer to the PPK/S. And it is in vogue to poo poo on the .380 caliber. Also, a few of the S&W models have had problems. I am not aware of any issues with the Interarms model except for the shorter beaver tail.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (zinfull @ July 29 2006,7:41)]I thought the PPK/S-1 were extremely hard to find.  In CA they can be sold but not the PPK/S.  I understood that the -1 were made for certain markets with tough gun laws, CA, MA.  Can you tell any difference between a S&W PPK/S and a PPK/S-1?

Jerry
The PPK/S may be restricted here as all pistols sold here (new) must be safety tested by the DOJ.  This does not apply to private party transfers.  As there is no distributor for the older pistol actively selling new firearms there is no one with a financial interest in paying for the testing.  The program was an effort 6-7 years ago to place a defacto ban on "Saturday Night Specials"  the thought was no one would bother having cheap $80-150.00 handguns tested.  For the most part they were right.  The unintended consequence (or maybe intended) was that no pistol is sold in California unless or until it passed the test.  Several cottage gun makers still simply do not play the game.  I can't say as I blame them.

Here's the law...

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regs/sb15regs.htm

Here are the two in similar shots.  The PPK/S-1 has a more pronounced beaver tail.  The trigger gaurd seems smaller to me but it might be the frame around the gaurd is larger on the PPK/S-1 and there is a little less room for my beefy finger.  That may be in part a result of the only external mod I made to the PPK/S aside from the grips.  You will notice they both have a smooth tripper.  The earlier PPK/S came with a serrated trigger. I think it's a combination of these things. 

The earlier PPK/S I have is a satin bead blasted finish.  The PPK/S-1 is fairly polished which while nice shows more flaws.  I needed to spend a few hours straightening out the finish and smoothing some of the sharp edges on the PPK/S-1.  It's pretty straight now.  I will be putting on a set of Nill grips in the coming weeks.

I do notice my PPK/S-1 #045x doesn't have the serial number area on the right side of the grip cut in relief like the later versions have.  

Sorry about the sucky photos it was late when I finished installing the Hogue grips on the PPK/S and I had to take these in total darkness.  

·
Registered
17 Posts
It looks like presently all PPK/S-1 models are approved for sale in California...  None of the PPK/S models are.  There are 48 hangun makers with 1,249 specific models listed. Models must be approved by model number, and exact type or finish not simply number.

PPK / Stainless Steel  Pistol  3.35"  .380 ACP  11/8/2007
PPK / Steel  Pistol  3.35"  380 ACP  2/14/2007
PPK 75th Anniversary / Stainless Steel, Steel  Pistol  3.35"  .380  2/27/2007
PPK/S-1 / Stainless Steel  Pistol  3.35"  .380 ACP  5/8/2007
PPK/S-1 Two Tone / Stainless Steel, Steel  Pistol  3.35"  .380 ACP  5/27/2007
P22CA Military / Polymer, Alloy, Steel  Pistol  3.4"  .22 LR  5/2/2007
P22CA / Polymer, Alloy, Steel  Pistol  3.42"  .22 LR  9/20/2007
P22CA Nickel / Polymer, Alloy, Steel  Pistol  3.42"  .22 LR  6/21/2007
P99C AS / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  3.5"  9mm  11/22/2007
P99c DAO / Steel and Polymer  Pistol  3.5"  9mm  5/5/2007
P99C QA / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  3.5"  .40 S&W  1/18/2007
P99C QA / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  3.5"  9mm  11/12/2007
P99 (black) / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  4"  9mm  12/31/2007
P99 (green) military / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  4"  9mm  6/14/2007
P99 QA Desert Sand / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  4"  .40 S&W  6/17/2007
P99 Titanium Coated / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  4"  9mm  10/1/2007
P990 / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  4"  9mm  12/31/2007
P99AS / Steel and Polymer  Pistol  4"  9mm  9/30/2007
P99QA / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  4"  9mm  9/30/2007
P99QA Military (green) / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  4"  9mm  12/2/2007
P99QA Titanium Coated / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  4"  9mm  12/2/2007
P99 (black) / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  4.12"  .40 S&W  12/31/2007
P99 (green) military / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  4.12"  .40 S&W  6/14/2007
P99 Titanium Coated / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  4.12"  .40 S & W  10/1/2007
P990 / Polymer, Steel  Pistol  4.12"  .40 S&W  1/2/2007
P99AS / Steel and Polymer  Pistol  4.12"  .40 S&W  9/30/2007
P99QA / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  4.12"  .40 S&W  9/30/2007
P99QA Military (green) / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  4.12"  .40 S&W  12/2/2007
P99QA Titanium Coated / Steel, Polymer  Pistol  4.12"  .40 S&W  12/2/2007
P1 / Composite, Steel  Pistol  4.94"  9mm  8/21/2007
P22CA / Polymer, Alloy, Steel  Pistol  5"  .22 LR  9/22/2007
P22CA Military / Polymer, Alloy, Steel  Pistol  5"  .22 LR  5/2/2007
P22CA Nickel / Polymer, Alloy Steel  Pistol  5"  .22 LR  5/2/2007

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hearby rescind my previous snarky comments about the PPK/S. Having gotten the replacement slidestop/extractor (which was MUCH more solid-looking that the original part), the handgun fired just fine. 100 rounds through it and only one feed jam. The thing still kicks like a mule on crack, but the function was solid and I shot between 2 1/4" and 3.5" groups at 15yrds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts