Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
You say that as if it's well known the new PPK/S's aren't selling well. How do you know this? It's my understanding it's a limited production gun, so kind of hard to get locally. From my own experience buying one, the local gunshop was able to get a hold of just one and I bought it the same week apparently. I went back a couple weeks later for some .22lr ammo and discovered one of the other employees was considering buying it himself. I do view the PP series as niche guns though. The particular salesman the day I bought it was shocked I'd be willing to carry a .380.

I am surprised an Interarms one went for that high. I wouldn't think an Interarms one would have any collector value. Just another used gun from 30+ years ago. I'd pay about $150 for a such a thing and would feel like I was rolling the dice as to whether or not I just tossed that money in the trash. It isn't like it's a WW2 or pre-WW2 gun.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You say that as if it's well known the new PPK/S's aren't selling well. How do you know this? .
I know this because I sell guns for a living. I've got both a PPK and PPK/S sitting on the shelf unsold for a couple of weeks now with no takers and only a few lookers. The whole market is down not just Walther.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh, ok. I have noticed my local store seems to have the same inventory every time I grab ammo or a new toy. Always the same rifles in the same place as the month before. Maybe different guns, but seems unlikely since none of it is sorted and new stuff goes wherever there's a spot. Don't know the situation of the handgun market. Maybe it's the same.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I know this because I sell guns for a living. I've got both a PPK and PPK/S sitting on the shelf unsold for a couple of weeks now with no takers and only a few lookers. The whole market is down not just Walther.
I think next year because of the election demand will be greater.

I saw a PPK at my LGS this week and while nice it it wasn't $800 nice, to me it's a $600 firearm.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
I am surprised an Interarms one went for that high. I wouldn't think an Interarms one would have any collector value. Just another used gun from 30+ years ago. I'd pay about $150 for a such a thing and would feel like I was rolling the dice as to whether or not I just tossed that money in the trash. It isn't like it's a WW2 or pre-WW2 gun.
That is an Ulm built Walther imported by Interarms sold at a average price, I assume because it is a 9mmk and there were no papers and not quite pristine.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Ulm built Walthers were trash but I am willing to be educated.

BTW Jimbo knows of what he speaks! I've seen some of his collection! Believe me he knows.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The price is high but its very good quality. Some people don't have 650.00 or more dollars to spend. I want another PPK but I hate that long beaver tail. Its not comfortable to shoot for me it hits bone. So that means I have to spend that kind of money and then go grind off that beaver tail. My S&W PPK shoots very good and without any issues and with no beavertail its a whole lot better for my hand since I fixed that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I waited and bought the new PPKS through a gunbroker auction $555 + shipping, thought I got a heckuva deal. I will agree the beavertail is a bit long but for my hand isn’t uncomfortably so and do enjoy shooting it. That being said I have two early PPs (1944 & 195X) in .32, I do much prefer they way they shoot and their very low recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is an Ulm built Walther imported by Interarms sold at a average price, I assume because it is a 9mmk and there were no papers and not quite pristine.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Ulm built Walthers were trash but I am willing to be educated.

BTW Jimbo knows of what he speaks! I've seen some of his collection! Believe me he knows.

I have no opinion on Ulm one way or the other, it's simply a used gun and therefore automatically worth significantly less than a new one unless there is some sort of collector value. Add in the fact that it's an internet sale and so there is no way to actually inspect the gun and the whole thing feels terribly risky to me.

Reasons for the loss in value: lots of people clean their guns improperly (e.g. tear up the bore) or horribly neglect them. I'm generally very hesitant to buy two things used: guns and motorcycles. Both require a great deal of caution when looking at a used one due to the above issues. So why spend $700 on an old PPK/S that may be completely trashed on the inside when you can get a brand new one for the same price or less? It makes no sense to me.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Interesting thoughts BB however... upon carefully reading of the description nothing would lead me to worry about this weapon. The seller also has a stellar reputation on GB which adds to the "comfort zone".

With only a few bids on the weapon I'll bet it was a buy it now, however it was still a fair price and knowing how well built those weapons are and the reputation of the seller, I'm willing to bet it cycles and shoots just fine.

BTW some folks think the pre GCA PPK imported weapons are collectable. I don't and I don't believe this one falls into that grade but the weapon none the less is a quality product.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
I wonder if the new American made PPK models will show up in Europe someday. I haven't found any sign of it yet.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I saw two new PPK yesterday one stainless one not the bottom front edge on both were longer than frame by at least a quarter of an inch and that beavertail . The salesman told me those two were the first PPK they had received so far all they had been able to get were s'es and they sold quickly . At that price point I would rather have an Interarms or a Manny for the same price ,I know what the quality of them will be and the looks ,fit and finish are superb by comparison . I bought a "41" Model 37 F.E.G. in 7.65 with two mags and it's holster for a third of the price . Still has most of it's blueing factory walnut grips a pristine bore and all matching serial numbers . Ayb
A

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I wasn't aware that they were.

They seem to be selling out rather quickly everywhere, what with folks on forums complaining about being unable to find them anywhere.

My LGS has gotten a few of them in over the course of the year and each one was gone within the week. Just last week they got one of the Limited Edition Stainless PPK/S with Walnut Grips in, it was gone the very next day.

Ah, but then again, the demand for PPKs seems to vary dramatically by state, seeing as it wasn't long ago that folks told me of Interarms PPKs collecting dust on shelves for $300 in their area, yet the cheapest I had ever seen an Interarms PPK go for in my area was a well worn PPK/S for $700 that sold within the month, with the absolute cheapest PPK I had ever seen locally was a LNIB S&W PPK/S for $500, which I ended up buying for myself.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I wonder if the new American made PPK models will show up in Europe someday. I haven't found any sign of it yet.
I'll be very surprised if you do as long as you can buy 3 classics there for the price of the latest copy here.

[olsoul]BTW Jimbo knows of what he speaks! I've seen some of his collection![olsoul]

Jim it's been a while since you've seen my stuff. My years in the gun biz have been VERY kind to the collection. If someone were to hold a Florida Greet & Shoot in PSL this year I'd be happy to bring 'em….just sayin'.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
I'll be very surprised if you do as long as you can buy 3 classics there for the price of the latest copy here.
The Rangers and the Smiths were available. Despite they were expensive, they where bought. Also in my collection there are some American made Walthers. In Switzerland, the last batch of the Smiths was sold officially for 1,200 Swiss Francs (equivalent to about $1,200). You have to take into account that collectors buy everything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have bought 4 PPK/s in the last two months and getting them was like pulling teeth.
The only easy one - the First Edition PPK/s380auto - my local TALO Distributor snspprf one up for me and sent it to my local FFL. All 1250 pieces of that limited run were sold in 7 days. I paid a tad over $700. Last I checked they were selling on gunbroker for $1100 to $1600. I was kinda shocked to see one actually sold for $1600. I looked that auction over head to toe - it was no different than mine.

Sportsman's Warehouse sent me an email the Nickle PPK/s 22 was in stock Oct 5th. On arrival at the website it was also on sale for $260. Of course I clicked on that as hard as I could. At work the next day I told my co-workers - but SWH had then sold out. Mine never arrived. I had to call SWH customer support - they promised me the next one that arrived + at the sale price. Got that one early November.

Oct 22 - email from SWH saying the stainless 380 was in stock. I hit that. Like the 22 above it was stuck in computer limbo - was suspose to arrive Nov 11, never did. Back to the phone, they cancelled it. Promised me the next one to arrive. They called Monday - its in the mail now and should be here Dec 4th.

American Armed Forces Exchange Services (AAFES) listed the Black PPK/s 22 for just under $400 last week. I hit that. It arrived three days ago. It's serial number is only 600 higher than the nickel from the month before.

That first 22? SWH put a hold on my credit card, oversold it, missed the deadline, tells me to be patient three times - then out of nowhere cancelled it. The day after I got the surprise cancelled email, SWH sends me an email "How do you like your new gun now that its in your hands?" WTF? LOL. Next day another email, "How do you like our online gun ordering?" Yeah - I could have flamed them but decided not to. Especially since I now know the head of the gun dept because of all the shipping and computer issues. SWH has been very nice me on the phone...... but someone in thier gun ordering chain does not know the difference between 'allocated' and 'stock on hand'.

Normally, I avoid all the box stores and AAFES like the plague. I want to support the local gunshop. Day comes I need a part or help - the housewife behind the counter at AAFEES wont be any help!

In a few days I will have a full set collection of Fort Smith low serial number PPK/s's.

Reactions: Austin Powers
1 - 17 of 17 Posts