Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!
This is my first post in this forum, so I thought I would first say hello to all, glad to be here.

Background Info
I have wanted a Walther PPK for a very long time. For reasons I cannot begin to explain, I have put off the purchase for quite a while. When I had the money, I would look for Cowboy Guns, as I am into CAS shooting. Lately, though, my interests have been shifting, and I found myself with enough money to find a decent Walther if I looked around enough.
At my main gun store, I happened to see that the S&W PPK (used) that they had there was still in the case and for what I considered a reasonable price ($399). I offered them $400 out the door, and received a counter-offer of $405. I decided not to play games and went to a little gun shop closer to home. They happened to have taken in a stainless Interarms PPK that morning, with box, paperwork, and two magazines. They said they would take $350 for it. I jumped on it, and was very happy.

Yesterday, I took the little gun to the range to see what was what. I was using Winchester ammo (11.75 a box :) ) and home made targets.

To put it bluntly, this little gun surpassed all of my expectations for reliability and accuracy. At 7 yards, I could easily pick and choose where I wanted to place the bullets, and 1" groups were easy. At 15 yards, the groups opened up a bit, but I could tighten them if I hunkered down and seriously concentrated.

In conclusion, I am a very happy PPK owner, and this little gun will be with me for a very long time.:D

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sundownrider,

We live in the same city and I'd be curious to know which shop you found the PPK in. The only two shops nearby, Rink's or Freddie Bear, would have charged at least $500.00.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually found it at Rinks. I happened to stop in at the right time and the gun hadn't been put out in the case yet. I offered $375 out the door, and they said fine. Which came out to be $350 + tax and such.
Sometimes I get lucky.

I know what you mean about FreddieBear. Their prices would make you think the guns are gold plated on the inside.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Sundownrider: Welcome! You stole that little PPK! Congrats on getting away clean from a fellow Cowboy Action Shooter. My alias is Silver 'Stang Steve and I shoot with the Bristol Plains Pistoleros in Bristol, Wisconsin (just over the border for me from Illinois). I shoot Colt .44 Specials, a Marlin 1894 Octagon made in 1973 in .44 Magnum (but I shoot my reload Specials in it) and a Rossi exposed hammer 12 gauge side by side. I guess I'm slightly opposite of you in that I was a Walther guy before I started down the path to Cowboy Shooting!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm kinda new here too, but I think it would be ok to say Welcome! as well. My story is almost exactly the same as yours. About three weeks ago I found a used stainless Interarms PPK/s at the local GS. They wanted $375, but as I've done a fair amount of business with them, they took my offer of $350. Box, papers, and both mags. I've run three boxes through it so far, with no failures. I guess the former owner already broke it in. Earlier this week I put some cocobolo grips on it....

Congrats on your find! Now, go out and get a P1!

PhilR.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Congratulations to both you new PPK owners!

I am sure you will have many years of enjoyment with your "new" guns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey mm6mm6!

I've heard you Bristol pards a good bunch. I shoot Cowboy down in Plainfield, IL with Oak Park Sprotsman's Club under the alias Solomon Kane. You might know a fella I shoot with, Chicago Steeley.

Yeah, CAS is fun, but I have always wanted a PPK, and this little one was just meant to be.

Side note - I cleaned the PPK last night and a little trouble getting the slide off/on. It took a little more force than I figured it would, but everything seems to be fine. LOT of oil in the gun, tells me the last owner either fired it very little, or oiled the heck out of it.
Are tough slide the norm, or should I look for burrs and the like?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
SundownRider,

The .380 spring is pretty stiff.

The pistol sure doesn't need a ton of oil in it either. I would put a little wipe of oil on the slide rails and let it go, or you could put some of that "tetra" grease on the same area.

PhilR,

That's nice!!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
SundownRider, my four Walthers' slides all come off very easily. The angle has to be just right when you lift on one of them. A friend's PPK/S is a bit tougher. The angle has to be jussssssssst right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thiokol,
Thanks for the offer. I need one of those, but I need to focus on Christmas right now and my very pregnant wife (!).

I'll probably give you a hollar around mid January when things have calmed a bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
While searching the internet I came across this board and to be honest it was far and above anything I had found as far as the knowledge and help you give each other. I joined with the hope I could get some experienced answer(s).
I have bought several handguns from a local dealer and had had always asked if he ever got in a blued PPK to please let me know.
Today I stopped by to say "Hi" and he had a used Interarms PPK in SS. When I asked why he didn't call he rightfully said "you had always said you wanted one in blue".
He said it was made by Ranger for Interarms (it said Made in USA on the left side of the slide and Interarms logo on the right side).
He would let me have it for $325.00 - it was in nice condition and included the case and an extra Mag.
It seemed like a great deal, but I really don't know if it is or not. Also I don't know if I would be better off waiting for a blue one.
I asked him to hold it until Monday when I will let him know if I am taking it and would appreciate any help you could give me.
Thank you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know how to post so I appologize if this doesn't work

While searching the internet I came across this board and to be honest it was far and above anything I had found as far as the knowledge and help you give each other. I joined with the hope I could get some experienced answer(s).
I have bought several handguns from a local dealer and had had always asked if he ever got in a blued PPK to please let me know.
Today I stopped by to say "Hi" and he had a used Interarms PPK in SS. When I asked why he didn't call he rightfully said "you had always said you wanted one in blue".
He said it was made by Ranger for Interarms (it said Made in USA on the left side of the slide and Interarms logo on the right side).
He would let me have it for $325.00 - it was in nice condition and included the case and an extra Mag.
It seemed like a great deal, but I really don't know if it is or not. Also I don't know if I would be better off waiting for a blue one.
I asked him to hold it until Monday when I will let him know if I am taking it and would appreciate any help you could give me.
Thank you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am not expert (far from it), but if it doesn't have a Walther banner on it, I would assume it not a real walther. I have seen the made in the USA on an interarms walther, but it also had a walther banner. I would do some heavy research before I paid that gun. Also look the walther stamps ... search for "eagle over N" or an antler to determine if its a real walther or not. If you search on this board, you can find pictures of these symbols to see what I am talking about, if you don't know already. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I followed your advice and located a picture the Walther markings/writing on the left side of the slide appear to be correct (as I remember them).
The Interarms on the right side of the slide was the same as the one I saw.
I never thought of looking for proof marks, or maker stamps.
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Welcome Chuck!

If you hop over to www.GunBroker.com and type "walther ppk" in the search box, you'll come up with some for auction.

This will give you a much better idea of what the Interarms Walthers "sell" for and what people are "asking" for them.

I believe $325 is a fantastic price for an excellent condition PPK in stainless. That's what I paid for a brand new one in 1988 when they were retailing for $425!

Be sure you know the difference between a PPK and a PPK/S. $325 for either is good but for the smaller/lighter PPK it's a really good deal.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts