Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a newer gun owner. I own a CZ 2075 Rami, and I just bought a Ft Smith Walther PPK Black that is scheduled to arrive later this week.

I mainly bought the PPK for CC and am transitioning the Rami to my Nightstand Home Defense as it was a little thick for me. I’m a relatively thin guy.

Anyway, nice to meet you all. I’ve been reading and watching videos and trying to improve my aim at the range. One question I have is how do you document your targets for improvement? How many rounds do you put through before you put a new target up? Right now I’m putting date, gun, ammo, both/L/R hand.(I’m naturally left handed but it’s a right handed world so I am getting used to shooting Right.)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welcome! This is a great site with lots of information! :)

On my targets, I put the date, the gun, ammunition used, and the distance fired.
I go to an indoor range for an hour. Typically, I bring 3 pistols with me. So I end up not putting a lot of rounds thru an individual pistol.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome to the fold from coastal North Carolina. The Rami and PPK are both fine handguns and I like their heft. They are nice for concealed carry but can be frustrating as range guns.

To answer some of your questions, I stopped using commercial targets years ago and don't save them. I keep a shooting journal and record what the used target tells me about my efforts or any problems. I drill for a specific purpose and use an appropriate target I download and print from here... pistol-training.com » Drills. At the outdoor range, I often use 6" paper plates, 3X5 cards, and Post-its.

Learning to better your shooting performance with the aid of a qualified instructor who will point out what you are doing wrong and how to correct your effort will save you money in the long run and spare you the aggravation bad habits can create.

Education, training, and practice are important to reach our shooting goals. Watching videos is educational but we advance quicker with the help of a qualified instructor. We send our kids to driver's education where they get a classroom education; then, have them go out with a qualified instructor to teach them the right way to do things and point out how they can gain driving skills competence and personal confidence through practice. The same goes for the sport of skydiving. Too many folks spend hours at the range practicing their bad habits, developing a "flinch", and give up on our sport.

Shooting is a fun sport and we need to see ourselves as athletes who learn, train, and practice as such. The best to you and I hope you have many years enjoying our sport!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts