Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of the white plastic "presentation" grips for my Gouse engraved PPK. My opinion is still out, what's yours?

With finger extension:

Without finger extension:

Tucked in with its cousin:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I like the black grips better. With the white grips it looks too much like the factory engraved versions from the 1960's.

The white grips are a good look in the case, but for carry I would go with black or a nice set of wood grips from Nill!!!

Still, a pistol you can be really proud of!

:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I like the white grips... though they are not for carry I would think.....
I do love the PP.... man that is a sweet one :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing I like about the white grips is that, in the dark, you couldn't tell them from the standard black. They feel exactly the same, same dimensions, same checkering. Unlike any other PPK grips I've checked out, they don't bulk up the overall "feel."

·
Registered
9 Posts
It looks like the pistol is stainless. I think they might look better on a blued piece. BTW, where did you get them? I've been thinking about some for my PPK/s which now wears buffalo horn.

I ,too, am not wild about the finger extensions. I replaced mine with the flat floorplates.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
mm6mm6,

Sounds like you are leaning towards the white grips.

Looked at them again this morning, they remind me of a pair of white shoes I bought back in the 1970's - they looked good in the box, but wearing them I felt like I should have been selling milk products or dancing.... :D

I would like to see you try an older pair of mottled brown!

As this has to be one of your favorite pistols, get several pairs of grips and rotate them around. I have done that for special handguns, and it's fun ...Warning: I always seem to end up putting the originals back on!

Still, Nill grips look really nice, sharp checkering and a bit more rounded - probably a much nicer feel than the plastic.

No matter what pants it's wearing ...it still looks great! :)

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
+1 to 153's comments. You also have to wonder what a set of those lovely rose-colored wood grips would look like on that puppy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MM6MM6

I actually like the white grips. They are the same as the orginal black ones. They will not change the grip or feel of the gun. Where did you buy them I have a S&W PPKS-1 and would like to buy a pair.

BTW your gun looks great! I want to do that to my gun but with the old style engraving. Thanks

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I saw them on a Walther website for $250 and remembered that Walther offered them on their factory fancy guns. I checked Ebay and found this pair. I didn't pay even close to half of the $250 price. BUT...they're not factory Walther grips. They are knock offs and were not listed as such in the auction. However, the opening bid was just $1 with no reserve so no matter who infringed on Walther's copyright, they are only worth what I was willing to pay. They're rather flimsy compared to the stiff black plastic factory grips. They fit okay but where they meet in the back has a tiny gap. I sanded a spare black plastic extension magazine bottom, primed it and then painted it with gloss white Testors model paint. For display, it looks pretty good.

As to how I feel about the white grips...the black ones are back on the gun now. But I have the white ones on a shelf....

(By the way, Gouse does Oak Leaf and Acorn engraving really well too, but it's more expensive. I looked at pictures of old factory Walther PPK's and saw that they did "Oak Leaf and Acorn," "Ornamental," and "Scroll." I like Scroll the best!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the reply. No I am not going to pay $250.00 for a pair of plastic grips. I think the original black ones cost 45.00 and I think that is to much for some thin molded plastic grips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts