Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all let me say this is a great site. I recently got into Walthers when I got a post-war P38. Two weeks ago I purchased a PP in 7.65mm. It is a 1969 Interarms import with the "Eagle" grip. Accesories where a matching box, 1 extension mag, serialized target and cleaning rod. The pistol is matching and has all the German proof marks. Can you answer a few questions?
1) What are the major differences between a PP and a PPK? I have not seen many true post-war PP's. PPK/S seems to be the norm.
2) What is it worth? I would rank her 90+% :)
3) Was this gun banned in 1968 along with the regular PPK?
4) Are the "German" PP's rare and were many imported?
I originally thought it was a PPK so I hope I did not get taken. :eek:

Last Saturday I got to shoot this gun. Man, all I can say is it sure is accurate. At 25 to 30 feet I could keep all the rounds within a 3 in splatter target. It doesn't get much better than this. I am glad I got the PP now. I think the size is perfect for this caliber. My only complaint is the ammo is slightly on the high price side. :confused:

Keep on Collectin....
MI-litaria

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Here we go!!!

1) The PPK and PP are basically the same pistol. The barrel and slide is shorter on the PPK by about 1/2" and the butt of the PPK is about 1/4" shorter than the PP. The PPK is lighter in wieght because the metal backstrap of the PP has been eliminated and is covered by a wrap around grip. PP stands for "Police Pistol" the PPK for Police Pistol "Kriminal" which I am told was to designate it for "Detective" or plain clothes Police.

2) What is it worth? Some wise person on the internet said, "You can never pay too much, only too soon."

3) The PP was not banned in 1968 by the arbitrary provisions of th '68 Gun Control Act. The PPK was due to its smaller size. The PPK/S is simply a PPK slide on a PP frame. The longer grip allowed the PPK/S enough "points" for importation.

4) German Model PP pistols are not rare. They have been imported here since day one, though before WW2 not in great numbers. Lots came back as war booty in the late 1940's and were sold surplus in the 1950's and 1960's. When the German Police changed to new pistols in the 1980's lots of PP .32's were imported and sold at bargain prices.

Your PP Model imported by Interarms will hopefully have been better treated than the surplus police pistols. The Eagle Grip is not common and since you have the box and acessories, seems that you did OK!

Welcome to the Forum!

The Greatest Gun Writer of all time, Skeeter Skelton wrote: "The Walther is, I believe, the safest, finest pocket automatic ever made, and mine is not for sale." Neither are mine!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for all the info! I am new to Walthers and really like my PP and P38. My only issue with the P38 is it shoots low at 10 yds:rolleyes: I looked at the First Edition PPS today and I am not sure if I like it or not. Also they wanted $669 for it :eek: Once again I appreciate your input.

MI-litaria

1 - 4 of 4 Posts