Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where do people find these pistols? Bought it from a Member at RFC. I think he sells various stuff there. He had what appeared to be a beautiful PP .22 which I have been wanting to go with the .22 PPK/S I got from Viper. I actually prefer the PP. He wanted $550 which I though reasonable. There isn't one scratch on the pistol and barely any noticeable high edge wear. I can tell by the barrel exterior it has been fired, the bottom of the breech rail and the mag has a bit of wear to the finish along the spline. Other than that it is a beautiful pistol with no wear or rust. There is a stamping in two places that I don't know what they mean, but since I'm buying a shooter I'm not concerned with them.

Under the left, base of the frame is a tiny, neat stamp saying 1A1 MIN (0)??? The other visible stamp is a neat .BP .Br .23 I have no idea what that is the bottom of the left panel has MADE IN GERMANY molded into the plastic. It is a '73 year pistol. The right side of the barrel has a very tiny stamp that looks like an Eagle/N.

I can't see where there has been any meddling with the pistol other than the obvious letters/numbers. Which were fully disclosed. The roll marks pass the fingernail test. The pinky extension has a crack which I will try to glue back together. Everything appears to function properly, the pistol decocks at the proper position of the safety. There is no wear to the grips. The bore and chamber appear to be in excellent shape. The mag, while appearing to be in excellent shape inside and out suffers from a nose down cartridge position on round 8, 9 and 10. Due to my recent work on mag function for these pistols I've seen this very thing before and I expect I know exactly what will cure it. Rim stagger slots. Before I do that I'm going to install the P22 parts and see if that works.

BTW, I pulled out the original PP .22 mag with the broken left ear someone sent me which now has a P22 follower, spring, base and bumper....but will only hold 9 rounds. Ran 100%. Same for a stock, unmodified PP .22 mag. Even the Bernadelli, jammed with 12 rounds worked reliably. I did have to give the slide a slight shove forward on that 12th round as it was in there pretty tight. But, a slight modification to the P22 follower would cure that. It ran 100%, locked the slide open.

There isn't any import stamping such as Interarms on the right side of the slide....just the SN and Eagle/N.....perhaps the BP stands for Border Patrol. Not a scratch on it including where people routinely scratch up the rear of the frame while trying to get the slide on. No rust. I'm happy with it. We should get a lot of shooting out of it. Now to get the mag up to snuff. I know these old mags are rare and expensive but if a couple of neatly cut cut stagger slots cure what ails it.....I won't mind. I will clean the already clean inside first and try again. After that...it is getting P22 parts and if I still have issues it is getting some stagger slots. 1917

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did one quick mag test....swapped the entire parts off a flat bottom PP .22 mag that ran fine into the mag that came with the pistol. Better but iffy on the first three rounds. The nose of the hollow points do not stack up nose high and are right on the verge of jamming into the bottom of the feed ramp. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Lifting the nose of the first round makes it feed.

This is exactly what I noticed on the Bernadelli mag and when I added stagger slots the top rounds immediately shifted nose up and firmly so. That stopped the same issue I was having. The older .22 mag measures 0.238" between the front most lips, 0.20" at the front of the rail and 0.24' at the rear of the rail. On the new mag that came with the PP the front lip width measures 0.260", 0.19" at the front of the rail and 0.231" at the rear of the rail. So the rear of the rails are just a bit tighter but that doesn't seem to matter as the stack of rounds causes the top rounds to go nose down. With 7 rounds, everything runs 100%. Stagger slots will be added to the old broken ear, original PP .22 mag first to see what effect that has on top round nose position. The nose needs to be up and stay up until on the feed ramp. 1917

To illustrate the point....look at the first five or six rounds in the Bernadelli....note how they progressively lay flatter and flatter. But where I added stagger slots, the nose of the rounds were allowed to move upward noticeably and the top round cannot have its nose pressed down. The stagger slot is allowing the rims of the cartridges to slip off sidewise allowing the nose to stay up. I still think original PP .22 mags would benefit from stagger slots.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Ha, that did it. Nose up and you can't press it down without it popping back up. Feeds 10 nicely now. But, hand fitters.... an old PP magazine body is not a P22, a Bernadelli or a Mec-Gar when it comes to the steel it is made of. Must have come from rare earth something. I could not drill it. I could use my snap punch to make a small divot to guide drilling or grinding with a diamond tip bit and that was it. A tiny Dremel cut off wheel didn't have any problems cutting between the drill points.

All of that went pretty good but not following the MG Mike rule.....I screwed up a bit. I had an otherwise perfectly functioning P22 follower, so, I decided to shorten it so I could get 10 rounds in the mag. I promptly began to bind for some reason. Will sort that later. To solve that problem and keep moving forward I grabbed the guts out of another PP .22 mag. Worked great....almost. The steel part that fits under the follower would not go down the mag smoothly. The front and left side of of the part was 0.004" too wide. What to do....aw heck, emery board that sucker down a bit and it fit well.... I have no idea of the history of either mag. One came with the new pistol and one came in the mail with a broken left ear. That is the one in the photo above.....now with P22 style stagger slots. Make the distance from the rear of the mag to the rear of the slot appx. 0.075"- 0.080" so that the slanting rims line up with the slot. Just like on a P22, getting that 10th round to drop in requires a couple of pulls on the follower tab.

This rim stagger slot now allows the top rounds to sit nose up like I think it should. I only ran 10 rounds through it. Of course after 500 rounds with no mag hangups...I'll consider it a success. This takes a good hour or so of effort to get it all measured, drilled, cut and polished. I pay the clowns at my Ford stealership $145/hr if I take my truck in......gunsmiths are worth a whole lot more.

All I'm trying to do is show how some of this could be done and how it would look. A machine shop might be able to make short work of it all if they had the measurements but don't crush the mags in a vise working on them. 1917

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just noticed....no wonder I had to jiggle that tenth round to get it seated....allowing the rounds to stagger....and that isn't the 10th one, it is the 11th one. I'll learn to count next week. I was not going for 11 rounds. 1917

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've fully loaded the broken ear mag 15-20 times, the top round nose stays tight up and it feeds every time. #10, 9 and 8. I've also run five or six full mags through the pistol with it and it ran 100%. Still not much of a test but I expect it to continue to function properly. I don't see what the front ears do. It appears the right ear, with the square notch in it stops the stock steel follower but I'm not sure about that....seems like a bad idea. I think the pull down button stops the follower. Of course the follower slamming into the ear from one round down isn't much.....but if you are one of these people who likes to sit on the couch and continuously pull the follower down and let it slam into the top of the mag......I'd stop that foolishness pronto. These things don't grow on trees. 1917

1 - 8 of 8 Posts