Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m an ex-pat Brit recently retired to South Carolina. I just picked up my first ever pistol - a FS 4.5” PDP - although I’m no stranger to firearms having owned a few bolt and lever action rifles for many years, which I also reloaded.

I’m very impressed so far with the PDP and I’m looking forward to learning from, and hopefully contributing to, this forum.

- Kevin.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi, I’m an ex-pat Brit recently retired to South Carolina. I just picked up my first ever pistol - a FS 4.5” PDP - although I’m no stranger to firearms having owned a few bolt and lever action rifles for many years, which I also reloaded.

I’m very impressed so far with the PDP and I’m looking forward to learning from, and hopefully contributing to, this forum.

- Kevin.
Welcome from Northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t plan on carrying it - it’s a bit too big for me to do that - but I do have a South Carolina CWP.

I have a Holosun 508T X2 GD that I’ll mount as soon as I get the optics plate.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
123 Posts

- Kevin.
If you were from America I would not give you this information (you will understand why after you have lived here awhile) but since you are from Britain I feel obligated to give you this life saving information. The Walther pdp is nothing more than a copy of the unsafe Glock system.

You must pull the trigger first to take the slide off for cleaning. This is an extremely dangerous type of takedown because if you forget just "one time" to check the chamber for a loaded round you will shoot yourself or worse yet some other person unintentionally. I have seen some very horrific videos of people who accidently shot themselves with Glocks while attempting to disassemble them for cleaning and Walther has the same takedown procedure.

This gun has no manual safety which means if you accidentally snag the trigger the gun will fire. One lady competitor using a Glock (which uses the same trigger system as the Walther pdp) attempted to holster her gun and the trigger caught on a projection in the holster and the gun fired and the bullet went all the way down her thigh to her foot. She is now, despite many expensive and excruciatingly painful operations, crippled for life.

And remember that the trigger safety does not work period. Anything entering the trigger guard will deactivate it so it is basically only a "feel good" safety that is about as useless as tits on a bull.

"People do not fear what they cannot see" and pre-loaded striker fired pistols (the striker is actually mostly cocked usually about 67%) will fire just like a revolver would with the hammer cocked back when the trigger is accidentally snagged. No one in their right mind would carry a revolver with the hammer cocked back because they can see the danger because they can see the hammer cocked back. Not so with the pre-loaded striker fired weapon as it has a concealed striker which is cocked but cannot be seen with the naked eye so people see no danger in this type of system when the gun does not have a manual safety. It reminds you of people who refuse to get vaccinated because they cannot see the deadly germs being inhaled.

Now then there are safer guns out there, even preloaded striker fired guns ,which have manual safeties as well as safer takedown systems that do not require you to pull the trigger to take off the slide.

The safest takedown systems are ones that requires you to pull the slide back and lock it back before taking the slide off, that way if there is a forgotten round in the chamber it will be ejected out of the chamber.

There are also guns like the hammer fired HK P30 and P30sk that let you keep the manual safety in the "on" position while loading or unloading the gun or carrying it, which makes it about impossible to accidentally shoot yourself when performing these operations. They have a loaded chamber indicator and can be de-cocked without toughing the trigger via a tab on the back of the slide. They also require you to lock back the slide to take it off thereby ejecting any forgotten round still in the chamber.

I have seen many people who have bought Glocks send them in and spend well over $100 to have a manual safety put on them but unfortunately there is no such safety available for the Walther and of course both the Glock and Walther have the unsafe takedown systems.

I have often got in heated arguments over this and I often quote the famous scene from a Dirty Harry Movie. In the movie Dirty Harry has knocked a criminal to the pavement and his Walther P38 is lying on the pavement only inches from his hand. Dirty Harry has his big .44 magnum pointed at the criminal and he says "During all this excitement I have forgotten if I fired 5 shots or 6 shots (implying his gun may or may not be empty) so go ahead and grab your gun, "Do you fell lucky punk". The same could be said when you carry a pre-loaded striker fired gun that does not have a manual safety or safe takedown system "Do you feel lucky today".

By the way if you want to stick with a striker fired Walther the Walther P99 was a way safer gun to carry as you could and should carry it in the double action mode and it had a decocker as well which also made it somewhat safer to take down for cleaning as long as you used the decocker and not the trigger to uncock it.

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you were from America I would not give you this information (you will understand why after you have lived here awhile) but since you are from Britain I feel obligated to give you this life saving information. The Walther pdp is nothing more than a copy of the unsafe Glock system.
Thank you for your opinions. I have actually lived in the US for over 40 years. Is that long enough? :rolleyes:

I am very happy with my Walther PDP.

·
Banned
594 Posts

You must pull the trigger first to take the slide off for cleaning. This is an extremely dangerous type of takedown because if you forget just "one time" to check the chamber for a loaded round you will shoot yourself or worse yet some other person unintentionally. I have seen some very horrific videos of people who accidently shot themselves with Glocks while attempting to disassemble them for cleaning and Walther has the same takedown procedure.

This gun has no manual safety which means if you accidentally snag the trigger the gun will fire. One lady competitor using a Glock (which uses the same trigger system as the Walther pdp) attempted to holster her gun and the trigger caught on a projection in the holster and the gun fired and the bullet went all the way down her thigh to her foot. She is now, despite many expensive and excruciatingly painful operations, crippled for life.

And remember that the trigger safety does not work period. Anything entering the trigger guard will deactivate it so it is basically only a "feel good" safety that is about as useless as tits on a bull.

"People do not fear what they cannot see" and pre-loaded striker fired pistols (the striker is actually mostly cocked usually about 67%) will fire just like a revolver would with the hammer cocked back when the trigger is accidentally snagged. No one in their right mind would carry a revolver with the hammer cocked back because they can see the danger because they can see the hammer cocked back. Not so with the pre-loaded striker fired weapon as it has a concealed striker which is cocked but cannot be seen with the naked eye so people see no danger in this type of system when the gun does not have a manual safety. It reminds you of people who refuse to get vaccinated because they cannot see the deadly germs being inhaled.

Now then there are safer guns out there, even preloaded striker fired guns ,which have manual safeties as well as safer takedown systems that do not require you to pull the trigger to take off the slide.

The safest takedown systems are ones that requires you to pull the slide back and lock it back before taking the slide off, that way if there is a forgotten round in the chamber it will be ejected out of the chamber.

There are also guns like the hammer fired HK P30 and P30sk that let you keep the manual safety in the "on" position while loading or unloading the gun or carrying it, which makes it about impossible to accidentally shoot yourself when performing these operations. They have a loaded chamber indicator and can be de-cocked without toughing the trigger via a tab on the back of the slide. They also require you to lock back the slide to take it off thereby ejecting any forgotten round still in the chamber.

I have seen many people who have bought Glocks send them in and spend well over $100 to have a manual safety put on them but unfortunately there is no such safety available for the Walther and of course both the Glock and Walther have the unsafe takedown systems.

I have often got in heated arguments over this and I often quote the famous scene from a Dirty Harry Movie. In the movie Dirty Harry has knocked a criminal to the pavement and his Walther P38 is lying on the pavement only inches from his hand. Dirty Harry has his big .44 magnum pointed at the criminal and he says "During all this excitement I have forgotten if I fired 5 shots or 6 shots (implying his gun may or may not be empty) so go ahead and grab your gun, "Do you fell lucky punk". The same could be said when you carry a pre-loaded striker fired gun that does not have a manual safety or safe takedown system "Do you feel lucky today".

By the way if you want to stick with a striker fired Walther the Walther P99 was a way safer gun to carry as you could and should carry it in the double action mode and it had a decocker as well which also made it somewhat safer to take down for cleaning as long as you used the decocker and not the trigger to uncock it.
@bhp9
Before I finally leave Walther Forums, I would like to express my thanks for your contribution. This article gives a very good and impressive overview of the problems and dangers of today's allegedly oh so modern pre-cocked striker-fired pistols without a manual safety.
It is a pity that the Walther company has also taken this path of lower handling safety with their recently presented and produced models. And there are no versions with manual safety available for these new models up to now, in contrast to other manufacturers of pistols.
Another addition to your very good contribution: I don't know of any long guns, whether they are rifles or shotguns, whether they are semi-automatic or not, regardless of the caliber, that don't have a manual safety.
But with some pre-cocked striker-fired pistols, which are generally more dangerous because of their shortness and better handiness, it is believed that a manual safety can be dispensed and is replaced with a more unsafe safety in the trigger. Whoever can understand that may understand...
Once again: thank you for your post.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts