Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks, I'd be very much interested in hearing why that slide won't come off....what's holding it?????
Went to the gun smith, was told if he unscrewed the gun he’d end up voiding the lifetime warranty or some bs like that. So I filled out a Walther repair form an waiting to hear from them…. 😡

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
In one of the videos I watched, the guy made the comment that the rsa was modular....the spring was held on and could be removed, much like the striker spring. I personally look at the way the striker spring is held on and liken it to the way valve spring retainers and keepers work on an automotive head.....very similar in they way they work. So, I'm looking at this picture and wondering, if the rsa was centered in the front of the slide, wouldn't it be possible to push the slide back (just like you do when you're removing the striker spring cups). The end of the rsa should start to be exposed, allowing you to remove the keepers, then let the slide come forward and with any luck it'll come all the way off. All it'd take is about 12 or so pounds of force to push the slide back....don't push on the barrel...just the slide.

This still doesn't answer the question of why in the cornbread heck is that slide stuck....just looking at, and after fiddling around with mine some more today, I can't see or think of any reason that thing would be stuck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got it fixed an back to me. They didn’t tell me what happened, but I got it fixed. It was definitely a recoil spring dislodge though
Glad you got it back and it is working properly. Hopefully you won't have further issues. Please let us know how it goes. :cool:

Reactions: Xanthus

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am literally suffering from this exact same problem!! Looks like i'll have to send mine in as well just like you did... It'd be nice to know exactly what I did wrong though to avoid it when i get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Saintsleazy. Did you also put your recoil spring assembly in backwards. Or did you leave it out all together....or. Tell us what you did, step by step to get to this point. And what you've done or tried in an effort to remove the slide.

In addition, pictures might be helpful.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am literally suffering from this exact same problem!! Looks like i'll have to send mine in as well just like you did... It'd be nice to know exactly what I did wrong though to avoid it when i get it fixed.
I'm sorry that happened to you. Please let us know the resolution from Walther.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah I put the damn recoil spring in backwards lol.. Had I known that would result in such a huge consequence I would've been more careful before trying to reassemble it.. I sent a message to Walther customer support last night. Haven't heard anything back from them yet. Do ya'll know how timely Walther is with customer support requests?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh and the recoil spring might look oddly scratched up because I was poking at it with a literal ink pen trying to get it to move or somethin lol.. I'm a simpleton sometimes.

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
One more thing I ran across. There's this little thingamajobber called a damper insert that goes in the slide, in front of the rsa. I have NO idea how that dohickey works and I'm thinking it may be part of the problem.

Maybe a fellow forum member that can get their slide off can take some disassembly pictures .... I want to see the bottom of the slide showing the rsa and damper insert ... which begs another question...can the damper insert be installed backwards, further exacerbating the problem? Sheet, I don't know.

Yep, send it back to Walther.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a member of a REALLY awesome gun range called Proshots. It's essentially a shooting "guild", because of the wide range of services this place offers. Call it a gun club that's just open to the public. I happen to be a member, and I get reasonable discount on all blacksmithing services.. So wouldn't it make more sense economically and time wise to just have a blacksmith take care of it? So far i'm pretty unimpressed with Walther's customer service and subsequently the subjective value of their "limited lifetime warranty" on me is fading quickly.

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
Not sure I'd let a blacksmith work on my gun. My thoughts are this.....If you send it to Walther and they can't fix it, they may just replace it. If your blacksmith flubs up your pistol, he'll just hand it back to you. And, if you THEN send it to Walther, they'll SELL you another pistol.

I used to be a blacksmith. Here's a picture of my son and I working on a Glock. (Send it to Walther)

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
It looks like something is jamming into the takedown lever. Has anyone tried pulling down on the lever while tapping the slide forward? Is the layout inside here really any different from a P99 or PPQ?

Having a quick look at my P99 the recoil spring won't go in backwards. Looking at the OP's original photos it looks like the takedown lever is part of what is bound up due to its cocked position. Does pressing on the rear of the chamber from the top of the slide help anything? Pull down on the takedown lever.....hard. 1917

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
1917....Get your your P99C. Remove the slide then very slowly put the slide back on the frame and slide it back until it comes to a REALLY tough spot....seems like a 'hard' stop. That's the point when the rear of the locking lug on the barrel makes contact with the spring loaded barrel lock in the frame. Now push a little harder and watch the takedown latch move down as the slide moves reward....I guess the barrel lug is about 3/8" long so after the slide goes back more than 3/8" the barrel lock will pop up in front of the barrel locking lug.

All of that to say that, in the OP picture, the take down lever is being held down by the 'bottom' of the barrel locking lug.

That's a 5", so he's got a damper insert in front of the rsa, and I currently don't fully understand how that damper insert works, but I suspect the damper insert is part of the problem. Or, I could just be all wet too.

I'm really curious as to what the hangup is when installing the rsa backwards.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Following 100% without looking at the P99 again. So from what I see two possible problems here. The reversed recoil spring has a larger ring on the front end....which is now reversed. 1st thing that can jam into something or press the barrel up prematurely. Can the reversed rsa be compressed and even placed in the proper detents under the barrel? I can't compress the reversed P99 rsa so the rear retaining ring can drop into the recess provided for it. The same might be true for the PPQ and PDP....don't know, don't have either.

Is it possible for the rear retaining plate to jump over the takedown lug.....probably not. Possible to jam the barrel...probably. Is the rear ring larger than the front? Probably. Agree the takedown lever is in some position in the down or partially down position and not locking the barrel/slide. Pull it down and tap the slide forward to free the larger end of the rsa from jamming the barrel. You have one now....pull that slide off and figure it out. I don't know about a damper or filler on the front end but I don't think that is the problem. Is the front retaining plate larger than the rear? If so it is jamming something when the slide is installed....and I don't think it reaches far enough rearward to actually catch on something....but it certainly could cause a hard jam. But, I don't have one of these pistols. 1917

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
Errrr, I'm in the waiting room at the hospital right now, I'm the taxi driver, not the patient. I don't think I'm gonna pull my 45 out right now and start playing with it. :(

I'll look later, after I get back to the house.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts