Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
In you were near Fort Worth, I'd say bring it on over....I've got lots of hammers of different sizes. Here's a picture of my son and I working on a Glock....just needed to give it a little 'love tap. I feel sure we can get that slide off your frame.

nope, nothing working. When I slide it forward it makes this loud clicking. I’m scared if I hit it too hard it’s snap something. I wish I could show you a video of what’s happening

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
Post 21.....all he had to do was pull the trigger.

As far as I know all striker fired pistols will need to be de-cocked prior to disassembly. Why is that? Well the striker is in the slide and the sear is in the frame. When the striker is cocked, the sear is making contact with the striker, holding it in the cocked position. If the pistol has no de-cocker, then you'll have to pull the trigger to release the striker. As for the 'take down levers', they interface with the barrel....so with no barrel, there's no need to touch the levers.

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
Hate to hear that. I've gone about as far as I can go without having the pistol on my workbench. My first recommendation would be to talk to Walther and see if they'd be willing to take a look at it....may take a little longer, but if anything gets damaged, they'll have the parts and expertise to fix it. If you're absolutely short on time, then a local smith would be the way to go.

I still think they're going to have to use a hammer to whack that slide off the frame.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Is that the 4.4" full-size or 4" compact PDP? They use the same recoil spring, but the 4.4" has a spacer insert at the front of the slide. As long as the take-down latch stays open, you should be able to hold the trigger down, flip the pistol upside down so that the barrel stays in the locked position and just palm slap the back of the slide so the whole thing goes forward again.

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
If the rsa wasn't in there, then absolutely, turn the pistol upside down, let gravity do its trick and the slide should come right off. BUT, what's going on here is, the rsa is installed backwards.....THAT's a whole new can of worms.....as I understand it, the slide cannot be move forward or rearward. I know why it can't go rearward, but I don't have xray vision and don't know exactly what part of the frame the rsa/spring coil is hanging up on. If the slide could be pushed back far enough, the slide end cap could be removed and the striker could be removed...BUT the striker/sear engagement is not the problem. I'd still put multiple wraps of tape around the trigger and frame, holding the trigger all the way to the rear prior to trying to fiddle with getting the slide to move forward off the frame.

I have a hacksaw, a big hammer and a cutting torch.

It's really hard trying to solve these problems when I can get my own hands on the pistol. I'm interested in knowing whether the front end of the guide rod (as shown in post no. 6) is fully seated in the front of the slide or is it just a smidgen off to one direction and making contact with the frame. At this point, and again, if it were my pistol, I'd be using an ice pick or awl or screw driver to try to move the front of that guide rod around a little to see if, maybe, it'll pop into the machined out 'well' in the front of the slide. It may only need to move a couple of rch's one way or another. Once again, I'm trying to solve a puzzle with my hands tied behind my back while standing on one leg.....in a dark room with only a 5 watt light bulb.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If the rsa wasn't in there, then absolutely, turn the pistol upside down, let gravity do its trick and the slide should come right off. BUT, what's going on here is, the rsa is installed backwards.....THAT's a whole new can of worms.....as I understand it, the slide cannot be move forward or rearward. I know why it can't go rearward, but I don't have xray vision and don't know exactly what part of the frame the rsa/spring coil is hanging up on. If the slide could be pushed back far enough, the slide end cap could be removed and the striker could be removed...BUT the striker/sear engagement is not the problem. I'd still put multiple wraps of tape around the trigger and frame, holding the trigger all the way to the rear prior to trying to fiddle with getting the slide to move forward off the frame.

I have a hacksaw, a big hammer and a cutting torch.

It's really hard trying to solve these problems when I can get my own hands on the pistol. I'm interested in knowing whether the front end of the guide rod (as shown in post no. 6) is fully seated in the front of the slide or is it just a smidgen off to one direction and making contact with the frame. At this point, and again, if it were my pistol, I'd be using an ice pick or awl or screw driver to try to move the front of that guide rod around a little to see if, maybe, it'll pop into the machined out 'well' in the front of the slide. It may only need to move a couple of rch's one way or another. Once again, I'm trying to solve a puzzle with my hands tied behind my back while standing on one leg.....in a dark room with only a 5 watt light bulb.
no luck with the upside down love taps either… oh well I suppose, she’s a lost cause. Here comes the gun smith 🥲

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
I've tried all the usual places to download a pdf of the PDP owners manual and an exploded parts view.....I keep striking out. Anybody have a link?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Xanthus and OF

Take a look at the slide takedo hiwn catch in post 1.
The top edge of the catch is angled "cocked).

Post 6 does look like the recoil spring is reversed.

Aslo the trigger is forward.

The PPQ and PDP uses a sear not the cruciform edge as the PPS .

You may have already tried this.

What if the recoil spring is out of line and cause the catch to hang up on it or the barrel.

Also could something interfer with the trigger bar not being able to release the sear?

Try wiggling independently:

The slide ,

the trigger

the take down catch and

The RSA.

Maybe with some tubing to symmetricaly force the rsa to compress slightly.

Do each independently to see if any one is binding or all have some slight degree of movement.

Also because the catch is cocked get some one to assist to you have three hands attempting to pull the trigger while wiggling the slide and catch.

In this case do not get a bigger hammer.

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
All good ideas. I can say with confidence that the take down lever, which is connected to the barrel lock is not part of the problem. The barrel locking lug is sitting on top of the barrel lock, pressing/holding it down, meaning, right now the barrel lock ain't lockin' nuttin'. The recoil spring can not reach the barrel lock, because the rsa which is inserted backward is acting like a solid rod...no compression is going to happen.

As for the trigger, all the trigger bar does is go back and make contact with the single action lever, pushing it rearward which will allow the single action sear to fall, releasing the striker. The sear catches the striker at a point about 5/16" before the slide is fully forward. In this case, the slide can't go back that far, because the rsa, being installed backward is acting like a solid rod.

The front part of the frame, under the guide rod, at least on my PPQ is very smooth, no sharp edges that might catch a spring coil.

At this point, I'm absolutely out of ideas.....other than using a drill press to stick down the hole in the front of the slide to drill the end of the rsa off, releasing the spring......yeah, who's gonna do that?

The red arrow is pointing to the back edge of the part 28.2 (barrel lock). There's a spring under that and it has a pin running through it to the take down catch.

The green arrow is pointing to the front edge of the barrel lock....this is the edge where the barrel lock will pop up in front of to keep the slide/barrel on the frame. The blue line is an approximate guess as to there the barrel lock is sitting right now. Meaning, its not doing, or locking anything at the moment, and there's no physical way the recoil spring can get to it.

This slide needs to come off the front.....what in the cornbread heck is keeping it from moving forward.....is the rsa cocked just a little bit? Man, I don't know.

·
Registered
884 Posts
All good ideas. I can say with confidence that the take down lever, which is connected to the barrel lock is not part of the problem. The barrel locking lug is sitting on top of the barrel lock, pressing/holding it down, meaning, right now the barrel lock ain't lockin' nuttin'. The recoil spring can not reach the barrel lock, because the rsa which is inserted backward is acting like a solid rod...no compression is going to happen.

As for the trigger, all the trigger bar does is go back and make contact with the single action lever, pushing it rearward which will allow the single action sear to fall, releasing the striker. The sear catches the striker at a point about 5/16" from before the slide is fully forward. In this case, the slide can't go back that far, because the rsa, being installed backward is acting like a solid rod.

The front part of the frame, under the guide rod, at least on my PPQ is very smooth, not sharp edges that might catch a spring coil.

At this point, I absolutely out of ideas.....other than using a drill press to stick down the hole in the front of the slide to drill the end of the rsa off, releasing the spring......yeah, who's gonna do that?

The red arrow is point to the back edge of the part 28.2 (barrel lock). There's a spring under that and it has a pin running through it to the take down catch.

The green arrow is point to the front edge of the barrel lock....this is the edge where the barrel lock will pop up in front of to keep the slide/barrel on the frame. The blue line is an approximate guess as to there the barrel lock is sitting right now. Meaning, its not doing, or locking anything at the moment, and there no physical way the recoil spring can get to it.

This slide needs to come off the front.....what in the cornbread heck is keeping it from moving forward.....is the rsa cocked just a little bit? Man, I don't know.
View attachment 97039

·
Registered
884 Posts
OF
Your last paragraph about what could be holding the slide.

My PPS classic has very close tolerances and when reassembling from a field strip, If I put the barrel in just slightly out of line it will get stuck.
So I thought possibly trying to see what is froze and what can slightly move may focus upon what is binding.

I would still try wiggling the slide and trigger to see if it is froze or if it can wiggle.

Then try moving the rsa with a tube or some non maring rod.

May be can be finessed. Or get it to a gun smith.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
I agree with OF. If you have not pulled and held trigger rearward while pulling slide forward then do that first. If that fails I also suggest using a brad point bit and drilling the RSA rod.

I duplicated the reversed RSA in my PPQ 45 and very slowly moved the slide rearward....both under the slide rails on the frame and above the rails. The RSA is unable to move side to side once it is in the dust cover channel. However, it will slightly wedge against the walls of the narrow channel in front of the locking block. In my testing I kept the trigger full rearward when slide was under the rails and the spacing both front and rear of the slide matched your photos.

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
I hear ya XRing. I just got off the phone with tech support in Arizona.....we came to the same conclusion. But I agree with you...a little wiggling or lightly tapping on the slide..left side, right side, top, bottom...etc. Last resort, drill er' out. 🤢

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
Are there any new PDP 4.5" owners out there that could field strip their gun and post a picture of the inside of the dust cover as well as a 'close-up' 'in focus' 😂 picture of the rear end of the recoil spring assembly?

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
Thought about this some more....strange......that's all I can say. I know why the slide can't move any farther to the rear, but what's stopping it from coming off forward???? I played with one of my FrankenQ's this morning. Here's a few pictures.

There's no barrel or rsa in this pistol right now. I put the slide on, pushed er' back and then forward until it stopped. This is the point where the hook on the sear makes contact with the foot of the striker. So, if you ever need to recock your Q, you don't have to do a full slide manipulation, just move er' back this far and back forward...striker will be cocked.

The real reason for showing this is because I wanted to point out that if the OP's slide never made it back this far, then his striker never got cocked. And I can say, with 100% confidence his slide, with the rsa installed backward, never made it back this far. So, how do you get this slide off??? Pull the trigger and push the slide forward.

I installed the rsa, but no barrel...just to show how it sits. NO WAY can the rsa move around much at all. And there's nothing that I can see for the rsa to hang up on. The forward part of the inside of the dust cover is nice and smooth, no sharp corners.

Rsa is still in there, but misalligned at the front. The front of the rsa is sitting on the edge of the lug on the front. This SURE looks like the OP's.

I realigned the rsa and it lets the slide go back a little farther.

I've got the barrel in now and this looks just like the OP's. The locking lug on the bottom of the barrel is depressing the barrel lock in the frame forcing it down....this is normal. Every time you put your slide on the frame this happens....you'll see the takedown catch levers move down and back up as the locking lug on the barrel passes over the top of the barrel lock in the frame. If you blink, you'll miss it.

And then there's this one, once again looking a lot like the OP's, where I've got the rsa installed but the front sitting on the edge of the lug.

All of that, and I have NO idea what's going on with the OP's slide.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thought about this some more....strange......that's all I can say. I know why the slide can't move any farther to the rear, but what's stopping it from coming off forward???? I played with one of my FrankenQ's this morning. Here's a few pictures.

There's no barrel or rsa in this pistol right now. I put the slide on, pushed er' back and then forward until it stopped. This is the point where the hook on the sear makes contact with the foot of the striker. So, if you ever need to recock your Q, you don't have to do a full slide manipulation, just move er' back this far and back forward...striker will be cocked.

The real reason for showing this is because I wanted to point out that if the OP's slide never made it back this far, then his striker never got cocked. And I can say, with 100% confidence his slide, with the rsa installed backward, never made it back this far. So, how do you get this slide off??? Pull the trigger and push the slide forward.
View attachment 97055

I installed the rsa, but no barrel...just to show how it sits. NO WAY can the rsa move around much at all. And there's nothing that I can see for the rsa to hang up on. The forward part of the inside of the dust cover is nice and smooth, no sharp corners.
View attachment 97057

Rsa is still in there, but misalligned at the front. The front of the rsa is sitting on the edge of the lug on the front. This SURE looks like the OP's.
View attachment 97060

I realigned the rsa and it lets the slide go back a little farther.
View attachment 97061

I've got the barrel in now and this looks just like the OP's. The locking lug on the bottom of the barrel is depressing the barrel lock in the frame forcing it down....this is normal. Every time you put your slide on the frame this happens....you'll see the takedown catch levers move down and back up as the locking lug on the barrel passes over the top of the barrel lock in the frame. If you blink, you'll miss it.
View attachment 97062

And then there's this one, once again looking a lot like the OP's, where I've got the rsa installed but the front sitting on the edge of the lug.
View attachment 97064

All of that, and I have NO idea what's going on with the OP's slide.
im taking mine to a gunsmith in an hour or 2, if they tell me what happened I’ll relay the info to you

21 - 40 of 62 Posts