Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m new to the world of Walther pistols. Came from Glock to see how these babies work. I just purchased this pistol yesterday, I was checking the oil wellness of the gun, taking it apart to check the barrel and spring. When putting the gun together the slide has become jammed in somehow. It’s maybe 2 centimeters away from being flush with the grip of the gun, how it normally is supposed to be. It will slide 2 centimeters forward but won’t move. If I pull the trigger it’ll jam too and make a double click. I’ve unloaded the magazine and everything. There’s also a very slight gap in the slide and gun while it’s on. The release handles for the slide is down and won’t become flush with the handle like normal either. Is there any fix to this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks to me like the captive recoil Spring shifted while you are putting it back together. Try and see if you can separate the slide from the frame again.

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
There's no round in the chamber....right??? I'm looking at that and scratching my head. The takedown latch is still in the down position because the slide/barrel isn't back far enough for the barrel lock to clear the lug on the bottom of the barrel. The only thing that comes to mind would be whether the recoil spring assembly was inserted/oriented correctly....meaning was it put back in backwards? The gap between the lower part of the slide and the top of the frame seems to be okay to me.

I solved one kinda like this the other day, when someone forgot to install the recoil spring when they put the slide on the frame. Barrel flopped up an an unusual angle and the slide became stuck. Cured it with a rubber mallet. :giggle:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's no round in the chamber....right??? I'm looking at that and scratching my head. The takedown latch is still in the down position because the slide/barrel isn't back far enough for the barrel lock to clear the lug on the bottom of the barrel. The only thing that comes to mind would be whether the recoil spring assembly was inserted/oriented correctly....meaning was it put back in backwards? The gap between the lower part of the slide and the top of the frame seems to be okay to me.

I solved one kinda like this the other day, when someone forgot to install the recoil spring when they put the slide on the frame. Barrel flopped up an an unusual angle and the slide became stuck. Cured it with a rubber mallet. :giggle:
It’s unloaded of course lmaoo. I’m not sure exactly what to do because it won’t give me any lee way with it moving. I’m scared of I force it too much it’ll break, and I need it for my new job staring in 2 weeks 😢

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
That sure looks like the rear end of the recoil spring assembly. Hold on, I'm taking more pictures.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sure looks like the rear end of the recoil spring assembly. Hold on, I'm taking more pictures.
I did drop the spring on my bed and just grabbed it without thinking. I kinda figured it was the spring lodging my slide up. Any ideas as to how to get it to unjam?

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
Okay, here ya go.....I did remove and install my rsa backwards....but I'm not going to try to put the slide on the frame like that...just wanted to see if it was possible to put the rsa in backwards.

Sideview....you can see the blue end at the front....which is backwards.

How bout taking a picture like this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, here ya go.....I did remove and install my rsa backwards....but I'm not going to try to put the slide on the frame like that...just wanted to see if it was possible to put the rsa in backwards.

View attachment 97025

Sideview....you can see the blue end at the front....which is backwards.
View attachment 97026

How bout taking a picture like this.
View attachment 97027
mine doesn’t show the spring like that. This is very irritating 😭

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
I did drop the spring on my bed and just grabbed it without thinking. I kinda figured it was the spring lodging my slide up. Any ideas as to how to get it to unjam?
Are you confirming that the spring is in backwards? Two things to keep in mind.....the barrel lock levers need to be depressed to get the barrel off the frame....but I'm thinking the lock is not actually locking the barrel right now. The other thing is the trigger mechanism. You know the striker has to be decocked prior to disassembly, which means on a PPQ/PDP, we just pull the trigger which will release the striker. The striker is recocked when the slide is moved rearward about 1/4 to 5/16 of an inch. If you try to force the slide off the frame with the striker cocked, something is going to be damaged. SOOOO, make sure you hold the trigger to the rear while trying to get the slide to move forward. Use some masking tape and wrap it around the grip and trigger a few times to hold the trigger to the rear. Now, if it were mine, I'd rest the front of the frame on the edge of my wooden work table, then take a rubber mallet or a 2X4 and give the rear of the slide a tap....tap it lightly, if that didn't move it, tap it a little harder.....continue until it comes off or you've reached your upper stress level.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you confirming that the spring is on backwards? Two things to keep in mind.....the barrel lock levers need to be depressed to get the barrel off the frame....but I'm thinking the lock is not actually locking the barrel right now. The other thing is the trigger mechanism. You know the striker has to be decocked prior to disassembly, which means on a PPQ/PDP, we just pull the trigger which will release the striker. The striker is recocked when the slide is moved rearward about 1/4 to 5/16 of an inch. If you try to force the slide off the frame with the striker cocked, something is going to be damaged. SOOOO, make sure you hold the trigger to the rear while trying to get the slide to move forward. Use some masking tape and wrap it around the grip and trigger a few times to hold the trigger to the rear. Now, if it were mine, I'd rest the front of the frame on the edge of my wooden work table, then take a rubber mallet or a 2X4 and give the rear of the slide a tap....tap it lightly, if that didn't move it, tap it a little harder.....continue until it comes off or you've reached your upper stress level.
I’ll give it a few love taps while holdin that trigger down. I’ll send a update as soon as I get home to do it, thanks for helpin man. You’re Savin my job an my bank account lmaoo. Let’s hope she’ll work.

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
I went back and looked at your picture in post no. 6. When I initially viewed it, it looked a little odd because it looked like the end of the rsa was recessed and not flush with the end of the slide like mine in post no. 5. You must have the 4.5 inch.

When I did the test on mine a while ago, installing the rsa backwards, it wasn't as easy to install...I had to work at it a little bit, but I did compress the spring and get the spring to fit in the normal groove in the barrel. I'm wondering if your rsa is even in the cutout/groove in the barrel. I'd still go with my recommendations above, or if you don't feel comfortable, take it to a gunsmith or call Walther and see if they would take a look at it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went back and looked at your picture in post no. 6. When I initially view it, it looked a little odd because it looked like the end of the rsa was recessed and not flush with the end of the slide like mine in post no. 5. You must have the 4.5 inch.

When I did the test on mine a while ago, installing the rsa backwards, it wasn't as easy to install...I had to work at it a little bit, but I did compress the spring and get the spring to fit in the normal groove in the barrel. I'm wondering if your rsa is even in the cutout/groove in the barrel. I'd still go with my recommendations above, or if you don't feel comfortable, take it to a gunsmith or call Walther and see if they would take a look at it.
Push comes to shove, I’ll have it taken to a gun smith to get her fixed. I’ve never had this happen before with any of my guns. Guess my complacency got the best of me.

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
Push comes to shove, I’ll have it taken to a gun smith to get her fixed. I’ve never had this happen before with any of my guns. Guess my complacency got the best of me.
If you're 'time limited', then using a local gun smith would be quicker than sending the pistol in to Walther.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you 'time limited', then using a local gun smith would be quicker than sending the pistol in to Walther.
Yeah, I have a local store I can take it too. Hopefit won’t take a week to get it back if I can’t manage it. I’m gonna try the rubber mallet trick. Just nervous I’m gonna break it when then taps to the back 😅

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In you were near Fort Worth, I'd say bring it on over....I've got lots of hammers of different sizes. Here's a picture of my son and I working on a Glock....just needed to give it a little 'love tap. I feel sure we can get that slide off your frame.

If only I did man haha, I’m over in South Carolina 🥲

1 - 20 of 62 Posts