Walther Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Same barrel length as the Walther P5 full-size, but shorter trigger reach, and smaller grip circumference despite 15-round magazine. Better trigger than P5. I find the grip very comfortable. Disassembly is like P99 and PPQ - in other words like Glock. For agencies employing unqualified people, it can also be disassembled without pulling the trigger by using a handcuff key or punch to remove the cover plate and striker assembly. Magazine disassembly in the usual fashion for double stack magazines from everyone except Glock. This is the gun the West Germans should have adopted in 1975 when the P5, P6, and P7 were adopted! Only 150 rounds at indoor range. No surprises. No problems, stoppages, or other problems. And, it has the blade in the trigger to prevent inertia firing if dropped on its rear. Of course, it has the firing pin block safety to prevent inertia firing if dropped on the muzzle. The FP block was introduced by Walther on its post-war P38, but this one is trigger activated as was the one on the P5. It checks all the boxes for a weapon suitable for open or concealed carry.
Air gun Tool Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Bag Office equipment Bumper Automotive design Font

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Machine gun

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Great review Shawn! I got to handle an F-series yesterday but didn't think to try the trigger. The handcuff key disassembly is interesting.

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
55 Posts
Interesting!

Using the photos from Walther's website to compare a Compact with an F -Series it looks to me like they've moved the trigger assembly back in the frame just a little to reduce the trigger reach. Look how the triggers line up against the slide stop lever. The reduction of the palm swell on the backstrap is pretty obvious too.

Product Font Gun accessory Auto part Metal

·
Registered
181 Posts
Interesting!

Using the photos from Walther's website to compare a Compact with an F -Series it looks to me like they've moved the trigger assembly back in the frame just a little to reduce the trigger reach. Look how the triggers line up against the slide stop lever. The reduction of the palm swell on the backstrap is pretty obvious too.

View attachment 104904
This is what I'm curious if the std trigger will drop into the F??

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is what I'm curious if the std trigger will drop into the F??
It is still stamped PDT. Walther's website doesn't mention a new trigger. It states "The F-Series trigger has been moved to a location where any hand can find the perfect trigger finger placement."

Going off that it is the same trigger and assembly. Just the location is moved. Think engines in cars. Ford's Ecoboost engine is in a lot of vehicles but it's the same engine.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It is still stamped PDT. Walther's website doesn't mention a new trigger. It states "The F-Series trigger has been moved to a location where any hand can find the perfect trigger finger placement."

Going off that it is the same trigger and assembly. Just the location is moved. Think engines in cars. Ford's Ecoboost engine is in a lot of vehicles but it's the same engine.
It appears from the specs there a PDT and PDT-F.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
From what I have seen, the trigger should not be able to be swapped out.

There is no second tab on the trigger bar on the PDP-F that lowers the trigger bar to reset the trigger underneath the SA lever in the sear housing. That tab has been relocated to the rear of the trigger bar, and is now visible from the outside on the rear-right of the slide. I'd also imagine that the tab on the trigger bar to raise the firing pin block will not be in the correct position if you swap the trigger assemblies.

I'm pretty sure it will not work.

·
Registered
181 Posts
From what I have seen, the trigger should not be able to be swapped out.

There is no second tab on the trigger bar on the PDP-F that lowers the trigger bar to reset the trigger underneath the SA lever in the sear housing. That tab has been relocated to the rear of the trigger bar, and is now visible from the outside on the rear-right of the slide. I'd also imagine that the tab on the trigger bar to raise the firing pin block will not be in the correct position if you swap the trigger assemblies.

I'm pretty sure it will not work.
I'd be curious if someone that has both would verify if that is the case.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I'd be curious if someone that has both would verify if that is the case.
Look at the first picture in this thread. Look about 3/8ths of an inch behind the slide release lever and notice that there is a notch in the slide that is not there on the full sized model.

That notch is there to provide the same function that the second tab on the trigger bar on the full sized model provides. What it does is lower the trigger bar when the slide moves to the rear, so that the trigger can reset when the notch on the trigger bar goes underneath the notch on the single action lever.

Just from that alone, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the parts will not swap.

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
55 Posts
Look at the first picture in this thread. Look about 3/8ths of an inch behind the slide release lever and notice that there is a notch in the slide that is not there on the full sized model.

That notch is there to provide the same function that the second tab on the trigger bar on the full sized model provides. What it does is lower the trigger bar when the slide moves to the rear, so that the trigger can reset when the notch on the trigger bar goes underneath the notch on the single action lever.

Just from that alone, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the parts will not swap.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Font

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
For what its worth, I've seen that notch on P99 DAO and P99Q pistols. Though, I'd imagine that it would be difficult to find trigger assemblies for either pistol here and now, and then there is the question of, will the other tab be in the correct position to lift the firing pin block.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts