Walther Forums banner

New P99AS Owner

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  onebigcubano 
#1 ·
I just picked up a P99AS this last weekend. I think it's an '04 model - it has the standard picatinny rail and no hump in the trigger guard. My wife and I took it to the range and found out it aims high compared to our SA XD9. Does anyone here shoot both a P99 and an XD9 that can recommend which front sight to install on the P99 to achieve a similar point of aim to an SA XD9? I'm going to make a trip to the indoor range later this week since it's easier to see what I'm shooting at indoors with the red targets.

#2 ·
To make sure of year, check for letter sequence on pistol...
The following is how to translate the letters into digits, which then correspond to the last two digits of the year:

A = 0

B = 1

C = 2

D = 3

E = 4

F = 5

G = 6

H = 7

I = 8

K = 9
Thus, an "AE" P99 was made in 2004 ("AE" = "04").

As far as front sight, mine(AE=04) fired high too. I installed the # 4 sight and it is dead on accurate.

#4 ·
Mines right on the money, first time I took it out I placed a 3 round group at 7yds in under 1/2"

scared the hell out of me, I thought something was wrong

#5 ·
If it's an NIB gun, then you should have gotten the extra sights with it. Try Jake's suggestion and change the sight. Mine was just like madecov's -- out of the box it was scary accurate. I suspect it has more to do with how different people hold the gun (probably biased by the other pistols they own!) than it does with the sights themselves. But that's why you get extra sights...to customize it to work for you!

#7 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake Starr @ Aug. 01 2005,22:27)]You may be breaking your wrist up...try this site...
http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/TargetRightHanded.pdf
Definately not that. If I can put 8-10 rounds in almost the same hole with a 4" XD9 and a 5" mil-spec 1911 at 15 yards, I'm sure it's not grip/technique. I'll throw a couple more boxes of WWB down range this week while testing the front sights. I'm mainly concerned about having night sights installed and the aim still being different than my XD9 with Trijicons. I guess it's a moot point since I'm sure I can get a handle on the P99 with some more practice. Nice gun so far
Now I need to get that P22 I've been thinking about

#8 ·
Definitely get the P22.

It has made me a better shooter. I can shoot more, more cheaply, and with hardly any recoil, it really helped me cure some of my bad habits (flinch, deathgrip, etc.).

For those reasons, and just because it shoots well, you should get it! My only complaint is that it is picky about .22 ammo. It is flawless with MiniMags, and doesn't like anything else, really. Federal bulk pack is next as far as feeding, but they're not quite hot enough to fully cycle the slide for the first two or three rounds because of the upward pressure from the magazine...

OTHER than that, great training/fun gun to have. It's not a Ruger MK II, but at least you can CLEAN the P22 regularly!

-stunks

#9 ·
Every shop here in Arkansas puts a $349 price tag on the P22s. Maybe I can find a used one around somewhere. If you don't have cash they don't like to make deals. I read about many P22 purchases getting out the door around $250-$270 NIB. We originally bought the P99 for my wife but even the 9mm is a bit much for her to handle. I accomplished one thing at the range this weekend - ensuring she can operate a semi-auto handgun without being afraid of it. Maybe the P22 could make her have fun at the range too?

#10 ·
P22 is a great little shooter and it is quite accurate for what it is…there have been some FTF problems in the past but these were mainly due to poor magazines. I bought a P22, liked it so much I bought a second. Like them so well I bought a P99. Liked it so much I bought another…that tell you anything?

#15 ·
My wife doesn't care for my P99... she's not used to the recoil, but at a gun show, she picked up the P22, and I'll be getting her one of those now... She doesn't carry, but it will be fun to take her to the range, too. It's too small for me, but I'm going to try the extended magazine and see if it doesn't tear up my hand.

#17 ·
SWEET! I went back to Gander Mountain and asked to see the demo gun again. It had the 15 round magzines in it. I explained the situation to the salesman and managerabout buying this past Saturday and trying to call. They appologized for the error and ordered two 15 rounders for me and I get to keep my 10 rounders that came with the gun. So $519.99 for an 04 P99AS with 4 magazines isn't too bad huh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.