Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pick it up this morning. 2nd hand from a guy at the gun shop. 200 rounds throught it no problems. I shoot a clip. Nice. Wife shots a clip jams every other round. I shot another clip fine. Repeat a couple times. I'm watching her. Other than inexperience nothing I can see. Obviously not the gun. Ideas?
...casing eject jam

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yep. Poor grip.

Have her hold that gun with top of the grip/frame firmly against the top of the web of the hand. Slide should line up along the wrist and forearm. She might try a two hand hold if she is not using one now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with all above .
probably limp wristing,
but are you both using the same mag,if your using different mags it might be that the one she was using was bad.
not likley though .
if the brass aint ejecting when she shoots ,and its 100% good when you shoot , its almost gotta be limp wristing

·
Registered
14 Posts
I highly recommend you and your wife watch this video. It'll improve your accuracy, and overall shoot experience. My wife had the same issue shooting my P99as. She couldn't hold the pistol tight enough using conventional grip style. So I researched different grip methods. I stumbled upon this highly informative YouTube video from Todd Jarrett. Take a look...

Hope this helps!
Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

All much appreciated. Will check her grip, and mine, based on your feedback and vid. She does have hand strength issues, almost had a heart attack watching her work the slide a couple times.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I don't know how much it will help with cycling the slide, depending on whether it's a hand or arm strength issue, but this will definitely help with shooting grip. Prohands : Home : Hand Exercisers : Prohands, Via, Gripmaster, Pro, Hand Exercisers, Flexibility, Dexterity, Strength They even have handgun specific exercises. I highly recommend them. You definitely want to start lower than you think as far as weight. Lower weight, higher reps. I've had various grip exercisers over the years and despite that, I still had to go back and order lighter ones. These, more than the generic ones, really help, because of the handgun specific exercises.

·
Registered
269 Posts
All much appreciated. Will check her grip, and mine, based on your feedback and vid. She does have hand strength issues, almost had a heart attack watching her work the slide a couple times.
One thing that may be helpful is getting her to change her mindset on working the slide.

Don't think of it as pulling the slide back with the "off hand" while holding the pistol stationary in the strong hand.

Instead think of it as holding the slide firmly in place with the off hand and pushing forward on the pistol with the strong hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Works

Works. Pushing with the shooting hand addressed some of the strength issue and definitely helped control where the business end was pointing. Also moved the slide back in her off hand, not relying on strength of that thumb...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Works. Pushing with the shooting hand addressed some of the strength issue and definitely helped control where the business end was pointing. Also moved the slide back in her off hand, not relying on strength of that thumb...
Glad to hear it.

I'm by no means a weak dude, but I remember being surprised at just how much force was required to rack the slide on my P99 when I first got it before I started using that method.

I also tend to grab the slide overhand covering the entire area behind the ejection port, with the heel of my palm on the left vertical side of the slide while my fingers wrap over top and grip the right vertical side. This keeps the thumb out of the process entirely. Then I push with the shooting hand. Doing it that way it's almost surprising how trivial it is to cycle the slide. Doesn't seem like it should be, but it is.

Sometimes it's surprising what a simple change of perspective will do. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts