Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up my new P-990 tonight. Just came in from CDNN

Question: should I strip it down and clean it out and oil it before using. I usually do this will new guns.

any special instructions peculiar to the P-990 DAO that are different from the AS and Q styles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Updated

Shot my new p990. Very interesting gun. Trigger pull is long but weight pull is not more than one of my smiths. Very smooth pull though. gun is suprisingly accurate - was able to hit bulls eye frequently. Not a bad little gun and nice to carry since its good double action. I like it.

I am impressed with Walther. Definitely light years better than any Glock. As good as XD and I think better. Nice and smooth trigger. wondering what the AS is like. Think I'll get the P-99C AS at CDNN in a few months. Otherwise, accuracy is good with this gun despite being double action.

I like it, I like it, I like it.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Now, from what I understand, the QA is a 6.5 lb trigger w/ a fairly short pull, and the P990 is a longer, 7lb trigger?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think the p990 is more than 7 lbs. thought i don't know exactly. it isn't the weight that's an issue but the length of the pull. it is long. one think i did was stage the trigger - ie pull it back somewhat then wait then trip it. but otherwise its not bad at all to shoot and yes, it is very accurate for a DAO gun.

i have to wait on the p99c. i bought five guns in three months so my bank account is a little low at this point.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I did some reading online, and some sight listed it at 7 lbs, so that is where I got that from. Thanks for the info, though..

·
Registered
821 Posts
990 (DAO) pull is close to 10 pounds, which is the same as the first DA pull on the AS model.

The QA (parially cocked striker) has the 7-8 pound trigger, I believe, but it is a shorter pull, so the weight isn't as big of an issue.

-stunks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. whatever the pull was it really wasn't bad at all. Its amazing how accurate it was. Even with the long pull I shoot bulls eyes at 7 yards with some consistency. Great little gun. Leave it to the Germans to make a good gun.

The p 990 is way better than the Glock I've shot. It feels so much better and it way more accuracte. Damn good little gun.

I want to try the p99c compact now to see if its comfortable for me. I will also consider the P-99 in .40. I was going to get that but 40 is pretty powerful in a light weight polymer frame.

really enjoyed that P-990 DAO. For the price you can't beat it.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Yes, in the compact, I think the 9mm is the better way to go - I have 1 and love it.

I just called CDNN - They only have compact 9mm A/S P99s, no more full size ones. I am disappointed - Your 990 is a great price, but I don't think I wanna chance it - I don't care for the QA trigger, so I doubt I'd like the 990.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shipwreck

Well sorry about missing the P-99 in 40. Is that 99c like the "baby Glock"
I have medium size hands and my pinkie was always off the grip on the "baby Glock." It was uncomfortable. I didn't like shooting with just three fingers. If I can get my pinkie on the grip then it would be OK.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Yes, the compact is like the baby Glock - Have you ever tried a baby Glock w/ the pierce grip, however? It changed the floor plate of the mag, and it had a spot for your pinky.

The compact Walther is set up the same, althought it only comes w/ 1 mag with that pinky extension, and then the other mag comes with a flat floor plate - U can order extra floorplates, but I was lucky enough to have someone on AR15.com send me one for free. But, U can always buy extra mags with that finger extension already on it for $20.

I find the gun very comfortable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shipwreck

thanks. Going to think about it. There's just so many choices out there that I can't make up my mind between 1911, SIGs and 99C.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Well, I love my 1911s, and i really want a Nighthawk 1911 - but that is a $2200 gun
- I am trying to get a p/t job to pay for that - if I do, I may get one in about a year (it would just be for 1 day a week). If not, then I am outta luck on that

But, I did sell my Beretta 92FS, and I really want a full size P99 in 9mm w/ the A/S trigger - have had no luck yet. But, I do love my SW99 - so far, this style of 9mm is the most accurate gun for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After 800 rounds through one P990 and 300 rounds through the other P990, I like them for the price and intended use (house guns).

One thing I noticed was that I "short stroked" them alot on reset. After squeezing off a round, there is a noticable "click" like feel w/out a reset, then a second click w/ the actual reset further along.

These 2 clicks were causing me problems, I am used to shorter reset and only 1 "click". If it weren't for the short stroking, I would like them alot better, probably even enough for carry.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Gunbroker has still some NIB......
Also if you google it enough you will find other online dealers who still have em..... also If all hell breaks loose.... you might consider calling every Walther autho dealer and see if they ship one to a dealer near you..... I know for fact the gunstores here in Utah still have a few

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I am tempted to try it - I am very skeptical of buying a gun sight unseen - I passed on CDNN months ago because I said I would never do it - But enough of U guys have bought from them and posted good things that I thought I'd be willing to at least go with them - So I called this morning, but they only have compacts left... Not sure I wanna chance it w/ someone else.... I'm still thinking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shipwreck

You really should try the P-990 first. I am used to revolver style pulls and though I loved the 1911s I've tried, the P-990 is NO match for the pull on a good 1911. So don't expect it to as accurate as the good journeyman type 1911. For home defense or carry for $299 is perfect. Also, I checked with CDNN yesterday and they are sold out of P-990. To some folks a trigger is like a glass of fine red wine. That's true for me too, but I can drink anything and enjoy it.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (arnie08515 @ Jan. 31 2006,08:57)]Shipwreck

You really should try the P-990 first. I am used to revolver style pulls and though I loved the 1911s I've tried, the P-990 is NO match for the pull on a good 1911. So don't expect it to as accurate as the good journeyman type 1911. For home defense or carry for $299 is perfect. Also, I checked with CDNN yesterday and they are sold out of P-990. To some folks a trigger is like a glass of fine red wine. That's true for me too, but I can drink anything and enjoy it.
Well, thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'd need to try it first in person.

Anyway, I shot my SW99 w/ the SA pull better than my 1911 the last time I went - I've found a trigger system that really works for me in something outside of a 1911 - So, if I got any other P99s, I'd prefer it to be the same.

But, for the money, it sounds great. I'm glad they are sold out of that so I am not tempted - because at that price, itw ould make a good extra gun to keep in the car or something.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts