Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used Walther P99 with a titanium slide. It has all German proof markings and says "Walther USA LLC, Springfield, MA" on the front right of the slide. Serial number is 032xxx, and I see what looks like the letters AA on the front right side of the slide.

Questions: is the "AA" the "date code" I have seen referenced in other posts? If so, can I find out what year this was manufactured?

Second, I saw a discussion of QPQ vs titanium coated slides. I assume mine is QPQ since it does not say "Titanium Coated" on the slide. What is the significance of this?

Thanks!

Pete

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hawkman,

AA signifies 2000 date of manufacture. Since yours is marked with the Walther USA LLC import markings, it is a QPQ since the first Titaniums were the ones marked with the Smith & Wesson moniker and were AB 2001 date code (I have one of the first ones available).

QPQ is different than the Titanium coating, it's duller and not a smooth shiny finish, but rather a matte type finish. As to which one is better, that's a toss-up.

BTW, for any of you in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, I went by Mandall Shooting Supplies yesterday and they had a couple of new QPQs on their shelfs, with the Walther USA LLC import markings if you are interested.

James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts