Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all;

I just purchased a P99 thursday and was wondering if gun cleaning solvent and oils will damage or mar the frame?  Thank you in advance for any answers.

And yes, I really enjoy this pistol.  Already been to the range and was quite impressed.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Simple Green, hot water, an old toothbrush, and a hair drier.
Squeeky clean frame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hair dryer?

I live with 4 women!  I would be shot with my own guns if I tried to get one of their hair dryers!

I take it though that the secret is to make sure that all of the water is out of the frame, and oil applied to all the appropriate places.

Should the recoil spring be greased or oiled or left dry?

·
Registered
411 Posts
After you use their hair drier once for cleaning guns...... then it's your hair drier.

Get all the water out, lightly oil, and start shooting.
I leave the recoil spring dry, after all it is metal to plastic, not metal to metal.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I have used everything from Gun Scrubber to Hoppe's, to CLP on my P99's and I have never noticed any frame damage; cosmetically or otherwise.

I think you are safe with any commercially prepared product.

·
Registered
178 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (NM_P99 @ July 19 2003,5:11)]Simple Green, hot water, an old toothbrush, and a hair drier.
Squeeky clean frame.
I use the same.  Works like a charm.  Just be sure to completely re-lube and protect after you dry it off. I use FP-10 for both.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I hesitate to use water on any part or group of part which may have metal which could rust. I know you use a dryer but I do not trust them/me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes, you need to get your own hair dryer!
Simple Green as stated for the frame. I don't do this step that often. CLP seems fine on everything with no frame damage. Gun Scrubber would be a no for the frame. Many bore cleaners indicate keep off plastics, so handle accordingly.

·
Registered
411 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chip00 @ July 21 2003,10:22)]I hesitate to use water on any part or group of part which may have metal which could rust.  I know you use a dryer but I do not trust them/me.
The biggest thing, is to use very very hot water to rinse the frame with, before you even start up the hair dryer, the hot water starts evaporating. I've done this many times, and have seen no rusting problems at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I go the SimpleGreen route too, hot water rinse, blow out with compressed air then the heat gun on low, a few drops of oil and I'm ready to go!!!
Lightly oil these pistols and do it alittle more often and you'll get far less gunk build up and you'll have to total clean less often.
Oil lubes, but it's also a gunk magnet, there's a big difference between an oil film and a coat of oil.gun grease is the same way, a film of grease not a glob of grease.
a great investment for oiling fire control parts, mag release parts, adj sights ect, is a needle type oiler. a drop out of one of then is about 1/5 of a drop out of a bottle and about 1/3 of a drop out of one of the bottle extension tubes that come with them. And they usually got a long thin tube to get down in those hard to reach trigger pivit areas. Or even a sewing machine needle oiler works good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts