Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a p99 (titanium coated slide) 9mm on layaway and the store finally got it in from the wherehouse. I noticed some slide play but it didnt seem to be too much. Is this common?
I also noticed the part of the barrel showing at the ejection port had a few sratches. Other than that the finish was acceptable with no scratches that I could detect.
Should I have them get another one from the wherehouse?
Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Please describe this play in the slide a little more. My 9mm P99 hardly moves at all side to side, but just a small bit. It does of course move forward and back as it was meant to but there is no free play in it since the recoil spring keeps things tight.

The scratches on the barrel shroud and ejection port are normal. These pistols are test fired and so I think that these marks are from the test firing. I have almost 3000 rounds through mine and the wear on the barrel shroud and ejection port is visible, but it is no more than it was back when I had only 500 rounds through it. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it is just finish wear and there is no actual gouging of the metal.

-Yoshi

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are right regarding the barrel scratches.
I'd like to get a Bar-Sto barrel eventually if they will ever make one in 9mm.

It's movement that would affect the tolerances of the frame and slide rails side to side. I've inspected a Beretta 9mm and the slide was tighter fitting on the frame.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I can move my slide L/R less than 1/2 mm both on the front and back.

Keep in mind that the frame does not actually pin down the slide. There are 4 small rails on the front and back of the frame. The rear set is on the very back of the frame. The front set is right above the "Made in Germany" printed on the frame on the right side. These 4 rails fit into the groove that runs the inside length of the slide. These are the only contact points that the slide has with the frame.

The barrel and recoil spring are the other two parts which contact the frame. These parts will not be tight fitting as they move constantly when firing and are placed within the slide which also cycles. The barrel contacts the frame with the lugs on the bottom at the silver angular block at the center of the frame. The recoil spring fits into the round recess in the frame directly ahead of the block for the barrel.

None of these contact points are very tight fitting, so some play in the slide is to be expected. The weapon will even rattle a bit if you shake it side to side. My advice is to take it to the range and test it out. I'm willing to bet you'll have a trouble free and fantastic time!

-Yoshi

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I agree with you.

I was unable to obtain the P99 with the blue slide in 9mm at the closest dealer as he said they stopped stocking them. They did however have the military version in 9mm.  I have the military version in the .177 pellet pistol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts