Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time I used my new P99 Titanium .40 at the range was a wonderful day. I was so impressed with it I gave my husband a turn. He shot 10 rds (offhand) at 15 yds. all in the 9-10 rings. That day we fired 100 rds. thru the Walther. I went to the range 3x that week and noticed that each day I used it the accuracy got worse and I gave up in frustration on the P99, instead I practiced with my Glock and went home. I mentioned it to my husband and told him it was probably me so we went together on the weekend. He fired the gun on a rest at the same distance as before. The shots were all over the target just as they had been for me during the past week. He tried resighting/reshooting the gun and was as disappointed as I had been.

The gun has been cleaned and oiled each time after using. My husband inspected it after I showed him some heavy wear on the underside of the slide where it comes back over the barrel when fired. We don't know if this is normal or not. He also noticed what looked like a machining error on the right portion of the ejection port, which also showed signs of wear. The bearing area on the front of the slide where the barrel goes through was worn unevenly. It was wider and higher on the left than on the right.

He called Walther and they sent a pre-paid label so it went back this week. It will be interesting to see what they find. While I'm waiting, I thought I'd run it past you experienced Walther owners for some feedback.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You don't, by any chance, have pictures -- do you?  I'm having a bit of a problem visualizing all of that.  There have been some "issues" regarding cracked locking blocks and I'd like to know if you might have that problem, as well.  Do a "SEARCH" over on www.parkcitiestactical.com when you have time.  I'd appreciate it if you would come back here and comment.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It definately does not sound normal.
My P99 has over 5000 rounds thru it, with very minimal wear showing anywhere on the barrel or slide. Everything just has a nice polished look to it now. And it'll still shoot 5 shots into one ragged hole at 15 yards, if I do my part.
You definately got a lemon.
Here is a pic of my slide after 5000+ rounds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it certainly looks better than mine. See that vertical line there on the underside of the slide? If you drag your fingernail along the end of it will you feel a depression? Mine also has about an inch of metal scraped off (approx. 3/1000 of an inch deep) before that line. My barrel shows more wear than yours also.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The slide is still very smooth, there is no noticeable depression, or wear that you can feel.
The top of my barrel has very minor polishing on the top front of the chamber area, where the lock up with the slide occurs, but again, there is no actual metal worn down, just polishing.
Sounds like maybe your slide was not properly heat treated.
Keep us informed of how Walther takes care of it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This update is from another thread authored by walthergal:

I just found out Walther will be sending me a new P99 to replace the (new) one I send them for repairs. After they read the letter my husband wrote describing all the problems I've noticed with it, he said the technician took one look at the gun and said forget it It was a lemon I hope the new one is a peach!

Wish me better luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts