Walther Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just bought a P99 in .40 S&W today. This looks like a great forum so I thought I'd post a question I have. My gun is the AS model and is new production (2006 serial number and a spent shell casing that is dated September 2006). The rear sight on my gun is different from the one shown in the owner's manual in that it does not adjust with the small allen wrench tool that came with it. Rather, the right side of the sight can only be adjusted with a flathead screwdriver which did NOT come with the gun.

I called Walther America/S&W and they told me they had no idea that Walther had changed the rear sight and that they were unaware of any new sight adjustment tool/screwdriver coming with the guns. My problem is that none of my flathead screwdrivers are a perfect fit, so I feel I'll end up scratching the screw up if I try to adjust the sight. Has anyone else seen this? Should I have received a special sight adjustment tool?

With the gun I received the 3 extra sights, 2 extra backstrap inserts, small allen wrench, black plastic cleaning tool, two 12-round magazines, and all paperwork. I've been reading on this forum about a magazine disassembly tool - should I have received this as well?

I am not new to handguns, but I am new to the P99. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think that the black plastic cleaning tool is the magazine disassembly tool. My pistol also came with a screw adjustment for the rear sight. I was able to use a 1/8 inch blade trim type screw driver to adjust the sight with no problems. I also have a couple of pocket screw drivers that fit the adjustment screw as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.  Here's a picture of my rear sight, which looks nothing like the one in the manual (which can be adjusted using the allen wrench tool supplied with the gun). I just e-mailed Walther in Germany to see if they had an "official" explanation.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
There is no sight adjustment tool you will get with your P99....all 3 of my P99 (2004) have this screw.....
I know where you can get the propper tool to adjust your sight... though I doubt you will need it as the P99 should be accurate out of the box.....
To my knowledge the allen head screws have not been used in a long time......
remember that a lot of those pics are stock pictures......

here is a pic of the scredriver

$3.95 but you need a minimum order of $25

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I just looked at my instructions.......
my manual shows a pre 2003 P99 with the same screw as in your picture... for a rounded flat head screw driver
no mention of a special screwdriver being included nor was there one in either one of the 3 I have, all where NIB when I bought them.....

·
Registered
821 Posts
I took a small flathead screwdriver, it was sharp on the edges, so I filed those down till they were round. Works great, but I never needed adjustment.

-stunks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (uncut @ Oct. 19 2006,1:19)]I just looked at my instructions.......
my manual shows a pre 2003 P99 with the same screw as in your picture... for a rounded flat head screw driver
no mention of a special screwdriver being included nor was there one in either one of the 3 I have, all where NIB when I bought them.....
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll find out if it needs adjustment when I shoot it. It's funny that this is a 2006 model yet it comes with a clearly outdated instruction manual. Page 19 shows the rear sight as having a small hole in it for adjustment, not a long slot for a screw driver. It also shows the old style gun with the older slide serrations, trigger guard, etc. I guess Walther needs to update their manuals.

How about the magazine disassembly tool? I just read that these are supposed to be yellow with a knob on the end, and that they are made by Mec-Gar. I did not get one of these (not that I really NEED it), but I'm just wondering if I should have received one. I read about it here:

http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/IX/14.html

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
My 2000 Commemorative P99 has that same screw...

If you push the plunger down with your thumb nail, you can turn the screw with almost anything... You don't need to use metal on it if you don't want to... I can completely change out my rear sight with only the use of my thumb nail...

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
smp253180
look again at your manual... and read what the 2 arrow's point to on that top picture on page 19.....

Nothing has changed on the function of the P99 ... so therefor no need to change manual... Walther does this just like any other company... updates are cosmetic... don't need "new" pictures to get the point...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (uncut @ Oct. 19 2006,6:49)]smp253180
look again at your manual... and read what the 2 arrow's point to on that top picture on page 19.....

Nothing has changed on the function of the P99 ... so therefor no need to change manual... Walther does this just like any other company... updates are cosmetic... don't need "new" pictures to get the point...
I just had a look at my manual again, and it looks like you are correct, uncut. The photo of the sight shows a "blur" (like a reflection from a camera flash) in the center of the screw driver slot. If I look at the photo REALLY closely, I can see a full slot there. With the blur it looks like a small slot for an allen wrench tool, which is why I was confused. Maybe my manual just has a printing defect right in the area of the slot, but you really have to look hard to see a full screw driver slot in the photo. Thanks for pointing that out to me!!!

Now, out of curiosity, do you have any idea about the yellow mag disassembly tool?

Cheers,
SMP

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I have had to make a slight adjustment on my fullsize P99 and my SW99 when I first got them. I just use a small screwdriver. The manual DOES tell you which way to turn the screw - depending if you are hitting right or left. I have looked at the manual on occassion to remind myself when I had to make the adjustments.

The yellow tool can be used to knock out the pin to change out the grip. Others here will tell U other uses for it as well. That's all I have ever used it for. I suppose U can use it to remove the bottom of the magazines as well.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
SMP
you might wait for somebody else to answer the question about the "yellow" tool.
All my P99's are 2004 and did come with the tool. But I am not aware if the newer P99's still come with it.....

·
Registered
189 Posts
The yellow tool is to disassemble the magazines. This was handy when the magazine capacity was 10 and the base plate / bottom of the mag was thicker / longer to take up the space. The button of the mag would be down a little "tube", so the length of the yellow tool was perfect.

Here's a link to the page in the P99 FAQ that explains it too:

http://www.gunfaqs.org/P99FAQ/IX/14.html

Here's an old thread where I show the diffs in a 10 and 12 round .40 mag and you can see the mag plates to compare:

Magazine Diff Thread

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for all your replies. I called Walther America/S&W again and they are shipping me the yellow tool. The person I spoke with honestly didn't know whether the new guns were supposed to come with one, so he checked with someone else and came back on the phone saying, "I have the tool right here, sir. Can I have your address?"

Anyway, at least they took care of me.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I've always used a blunt screwdriver whenever I need to disassemble a mag. The yellow tool is great for the pin on the grips, though. Works well without damaging the pin like a screwdriver might....

To be honest, out of all my P99s, I have only used the yellow thing 1x - when I tried out the grips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts