Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new p99 AS in .40 and when your holding it and then shake it side to side , it rattles from the front slide area. It seems as if the inner slide groove is milled a hair too much where it meets the frame. I realize this is not an orthodox and safe way to handle the gun , but I am stickler for fit and finish ( especially when it comes to German stuff!) It is otherwise a fine gun and has about a 1000 rounds thru it. None of the semi's I have had before had slide rattle and I have had some junk. Is this typical?? Do I have legitimate gripe to send it in for warranty work? It annoys the hell out of me. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
My p99c locks up very well once I have a round in the chamber... It seems to me that slightly looser tolerances will assure complete reliability in adverse conditions; so long as it doesn't significantly affect accuracy thats fine by me.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Mine had play from day one (2004 9mm full and compact)

We has discussed this at some point and many said that some play is needed for the reliability .....

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Since the barrel, slide and sights are all tight relative to each other, accuracy shouldn't be affected. Mine has a small amount of play, but I wouldn't call it a rattle.

·
Patron
211 Posts
As long as the BARREL is not loose in the slide when the slide is forward your accuracy will not be compromised. The P99 is like the Glock, HK and SiG in that respect. The barrel "locks" in the slide when in battery at the hole in the front and the top of the slide above the chamber. If that "unit" has slop when it on the slide after that it's of no concern (unless it ridiculous of course). Then you may have a rail problem...........

·
Registered
67 Posts
After I got my 04 P99.40 I came here with the same questions.  It rattles more than my previous P99s but seems to shoot better.  No other pistol I have or had has this much play or racket.  It rattles Loudly.  Loaded chamber or mag hardly makes a difference.  I was concerned because I wanted to do some custom work on it.  It continued to shoot great and S&W told me not to worry about it.  They said if it shoots great, it shouldn't be a problem.
  I went around town and compared mine to new ones and all seemed to have a little play but not as much as mine.  I kept it, had work done to it and have now put over 2000 round through it and have never had a failure of any kind.  It really bothers me but it outshoots my previous pistolas and outshoots my friends 03 P99.  So until something happens, it will remaing my favorite pistol and favorite carry piece.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I guess After hearing what everyone has said, I will have to live with it. The gun shoots fine, its me who needs the practice. The factory proof sheet has excellent grouping. Thanks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fencejumper @ Dec. 04 2006,5:07)]Well, I guess After hearing what everyone has said, I will have to live with it. The gun shoots fine, its me who needs the practice. The factory proof sheet has excellent grouping. Thanks
It's a service gun, you can roll around in the mud and it will still shoot. The frame and slide are supposed to be loose. If you want a peice of Walther art, check out SOG (Souther Ohio guns) and get a former polizei P5. Those are still tight and built like a watch after 20 years of service. And at an affordable price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts