Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so help me out here. I have a friend that is not new to shooting but new to the world of autos. He is German by heritage and is very proud of that fact. He has a Walther PPk and a P.38 and was looking for a soft shooting 9mm for carry. He has trouble with the muscles in his wrist. So we went out today and said he wants a nice 9mm for under $1000.00. My first choice was a Hk P7 but for $1500 that was more than he wanted to pay. He liked a Sig 226 and a Tarus 24/7(the heft of the Sig and the rubber grip of the Tarus). I showed him a new Walther P99 but he was not too impressed. Honestly neither was I. I have three in AS model but I did not like the feel or the trigger on the QA. I wish I could talk him into a Walther but I think he is leaning towards a Sig(How can you go wrong with a Sig 239). At least he didn't care for the Glock...any suggestions? I wish they had a P5 around....

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I never shot a "QA" and am not interested in precocked guns that you can't shoot without having to "manually" precocking them.....
that said you might also look at the H&K P2000.......or talk him into signing up on Gunbroker and auction a nice P5..... I am sure you let him shoot your P5....
You can get a P7 for around $1200 if you look on PCT and deals come along but you need to be ready to pull the trigger (sorry for the pun)
But I guess you can't go wrong with a Sig neither

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I have been so tempted to get a QA so many times - especially in OD green. But everytime I see one and I dry fire it - I just can't make myself buy it. I always shot low and to the left with a Glock, until I got my G34 that has a trigger that is a pound or so lighter. I have a feeling that w/ the QA< I'd end up doing the same with the heavy trigger.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The used, like new, P99 I have on layaway has a great trigger on it for a semi-auto. The rest of my handguns are single actions that I did trigger jobs on...never liked pistols due to the trigger. That is, until I handled that P99.

Jim

·
Registered
334 Posts
Okay so help me out here. I have a friend that is not new to shooting but new to the world of autos. He is German by heritage and is very proud of that fact. He has a Walther PPk and a P.38 and was looking for a soft shooting 9mm for carry. He has trouble with the muscles in his wrist. So we went out today and said he wants a nice 9mm for under $1000.00. My first choice was a Hk P7 but for $1500 that was more than he wanted to pay. He liked a Sig 226 and a Tarus 24/7(the heft of the Sig and the rubber grip of the Tarus). I showed him a new Walther P99 but he was not too impressed. Honestly neither was I. I have three in AS model but I did not like the feel or the trigger on the QA. I wish I could talk him into a Walther but I think he is leaning towards a Sig(How can you go wrong with a Sig 239). At least he didn't care for the Glock...any suggestions? I wish they had a P5 around....

FWIW:

You shoulda' tried an "AS" version...

And as Forrest would say: "that's all I'm gonna say about that" :D

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You shoulda' tried an "AS" version...
Well if the store we were in had them in stock I would have tried them. But FWIW, I own three P99's all AS models. Wouldn't own anything else....:cool:

·
Registered
435 Posts
My first P99 was a QA. I liked the gun but after one range trip the QA trigger bothered me enough that I eventually traded it away. To be honest I probably did not give the trigger a fair shake. I never really tried to get used to it.

But I kept thinking about the P99. I thought maybe I'd like the AS better. I bought one of these a couple months later. Really like the AS trigger. More traditional double action.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I never shot a "QA" and am not interested in precocked guns that you can't shoot without having to "manually" precocking them.....
Since that happens everytime you put bullets in it, it's not a problem.

I love the QA, except for the long reset on the trigger. It feels 'cleaner' than a glock trigger, with a better break.

The trigger linkage on the QA cams off of the slide. I found that if I applied a little lube (I use copper anti-sieze like you see on new glocks) to the contact point on the slide, and the sear surface, the trigger felt a bit nicer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since you cock it everytime you put bullets in it, it's not a problem... unless you're carrying it without bullets in it. It should not be de-cocked for carry, only for dis-assembly.

I love the QA, except for the long reset on the trigger. It feels 'cleaner' than a glock trigger, with a better break.

The trigger linkage on the QA cams off of the slide. I found that if I applied a little lube (I use copper anti-sieze like you see on new glocks) to the contact point on the slide, and the sear surface, the trigger felt a bit nicer.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have to admit that I am a QA "Lover", but I like the AS as well. Maybe my story will help. I ordered a P99 from CdNN thinking it was an AS, when it arrived it was a QA. I looked at the catalogue and sure enough it was supposed to be a QA. I didn't like the trigger when I dry fired it, but decided to keep it and give it a run. I couldn't believe how accurate I was with it, and I think the reason is that the trigger breaks much sooner than the AS. In other words the trigger breaks further from the rear of the trigger guard. But as said above, I do not like the long resent of the trigger, but under stress drills I don't really notice it. One of my favorite range games is to run my QA head to head with my P5 for accuracy. They are always a dead tie, even though the trigger pulls between the two are so different.

If at all possible one really needs to find a way to fire one. I would like to someday try an HK LEM trigger, they feel very similar to the QA to me.

If your friend doesn't like the Walther, I would defininately go HK. I have had bad experiences with "American" made Sigs, and I just don't like the cheap stamped parts on the German made Sig P225, even though it is an excellent gun.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Banddr2 : From what I'd tried, it's all relative and subjective, in terms of trigger travel distance and trigger pull, Walther QA is somewhat in between Sig DAK and Hk LEM; with DAK has a noticeable lighter pull and LEM has a loooooong pull.

Jake : How about Sig 225 & 228 for your friend? The ones stamped "Made in West Germany" on the slides.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really like my P99 QA but don't like the 40, wish I had the 9mm. With the QA I find that if you shoot rapid fire your able to get back on target. I never shot the AS and hope to someday so I can compare. The way most of you talk, if I found a P99 AS I would buy it on the spot.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Bonner:

When I was researching the Walther P99 pistol the two things I heard over and over from Walther P99 owners was to buy the 9mm "AS" model...

I bought my 9mm P99c/AS and it was such a fine pistol I then bought a full size 9mm P99. Both pistols shoot wonderfully right out the box, and I would recommend them to any potential firearms buyer..

I also have a Sig P239 and it's a super firearm... But IMO not any better than the Walther P99c/AS or P99/AS....

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also have a Sig P239 and it's a super firearm... But IMO not any better than the Walther P99c/AS or P99/AS....
I concur. I was going to get a 239...but after testing out a friends, I didn't think that it was any better than my P99c that I already owned. And since I had two full sized P99 I decided to keep it all in the family and got me a P5. Now where is that P5c that I have my eyes on....;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Jake Starr:

Did I mention that I like the Walther P5 also?

And a P1?

My P5 was a surplus SOG pistol and has some holster wear on the slide, but shoots poa/poi, functions perfectly and is sweet....

My P1 was a surplus Impactgun pistol (2yrs ago)and came "as new" with the "fat slide conversion" an extra new Walther Mag. wrapped in oil paper, a new flap holster, and small cleaning kit.. Shoots poa/poi, 100% reliable. All for $199.00

Now if I just hadn't sold that sweet little PP I had several years ago..

Every one of my Walthers are WAYYYY more potentially accurate than I am capable of taking advantage of, and the two P99's are unbelieveably accurate.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
71 Posts
My P99 QA Titanium slide

THE BEST damn gun I EVER shot ! It fits my hand, i can shoot 200 rounds through it and not have any "ache" in my fingers. So easy to shoot, my nine year old can consistantly shoot 3" circles at 15 yards. NEVER had a FTE/FTF.
If you shoot the QA, you will buy a QA.:D :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts