Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I say but this pistol rocks...I`ve had a few other 9mm over the years and bought all without firing or handling any of them, just on opinions but I have to honestly say the P99 is the only one yet that lived up to it`s worth for me..this one is a definite keeper, something I have never said about any of my other guns. 200 rounds trouble free rounds so far. I never had any 9mm that I can shoot 50 rounds a range sesion and no FTF or FTE. all using the same ammo from the same crate. I wasn`t never a big fan of the P99 and then read a few reviews and one came up used and decided to go for it. Sure am glad I did:)
It is a bit snappy but my last plastic 9mm was also, very controlable and settles back on target nice for me. The grip is pefect. The pistol was shooting a bit low for me so I changed out the front sight and now it`s alot better. The only thing is a few times on certain mags the slide doesnt lock back. Accuracy seems great will get better more I get use to it.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Ummmm congrats on the P99... be sure to keep us posted on how much more you will like it once you got 500 down range....:D

·
Registered
225 Posts
What can I say but this pistol rocks..
I agree. I've had mine for about a month now. I've fired around 500 rounds through it without one FTF or FTE. I haven't cleaned it yet either. I'm hoping to have time this weekend to clean it for its first time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know 200 isn`t alot yet however it`s a record for me with no FTF or FTE and all this time I blamed the ammo for the other guns problems. All ammo using is from same crate FMJ S&B nickle plated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm rather amazed that mine has shot so many without being cleaned.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I am sure the P99 is capable of what any Glock is when it comes to shooting without cleaning.... while I have not shot more than 250 rounds without cleaning... sometimes I will just pull a boresnake through the barrel and call it good :eek:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
There was someone on this board who shot thousands of rds through his P99 without cleaning and without a hiccup...but I can't remember who:confused:

·
Registered
225 Posts
There was someone on this board who shot thousands of rds through his P99 without cleaning and without a hiccup...but I can't remember who:confused:
It won't be me. But if I don't get some time to clean it soon, I may give it a run. Right now the time choice is clean gun, shoot gun, write gun, or clean gun. I've got my priorities almost in order.:D

·
Registered
169 Posts
ive shot around 2000 rnds of wolf 180g fmj through my p99C .40 whith out a single ftf or fte.the only prob. i had was the slide wouldnt lock open,but that was due to the way i grip the pistol.i have big hands and after a few minor adjustments things are getting better.wolf ammo. isnt suttle,but i can get 500 rnds for 88.00$.not a bad deal.next purchase a Dillion reloading press:D

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know 200 isn`t alot yet however it`s a record for me with no FTF or FTE and all this time I blamed the ammo for the other guns problems. All ammo using is from same crate FMJ S&B nickle plated.
I hate to say it but you've been shooting some seriously poor guns. With FMJ it really should be thousands of rounds before you see a failure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well my older S&W wasn`t 100 perc every time I shot it and neither was my brand new MP446 Viking, the viking was suppose to feed anything but mine never. Thats why I said I always thought it was the ammo or maybe grip but the P99 hasn`t disappointed yet, the gun is really a hidden treasure. Alot of people brush it off because it`s not glock/sig/hk etc...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Geez

Come on guys! Clean your pistols! The longer you wait, the longer it will take you to clean it. The longer the carbon sits the harder it gets.I have a 99 AS and its the fastest cleanup of any pistol Ive ever owned. It wont take you more than an hour AT MOST. Also a boresnake is to cleaning firearms what mouthwash is to brushing teeth. Its only part of the process. :) The only time that a weapon should not be in a clean state is on the battlefield. We all need to respect these gems that we are privilaged enough to own. They might save our life one day. We have all heard the saying "better safe than sorry". To clean your firearm after every use is SAFE. If in your hour of need a weapon ever fails (no matter how small the chance) you will be sorry.:( Just because a weapon has the (extreme) capability of functioning while incredibly dirty (1000+rds.) It does not mean you dont have to clean it religiously.:rolleyes: So next time you shoot em', show em some love and clean em too!;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also a boresnake is to cleaning firearms what mouthwash is to brushing teeth. Its only part of the process. :)
What is your recommendation for the "rest of the process"?

·
Registered
43 Posts
What is your recommendation for the "rest of the process"?
Get a pistol cleaning rod (the little black plastic one that comes with the pistol is sub par), some brass bore brushes for your specific caliber , a patch jag (also for your caliber), patches and some cleaning solvent (hoppes, butches bore cleaner ect.).

1. Boresnake 5 to 10 times or until bore is shiny.

2. Disassemble your pistol as per your manual and take the barrel out.

3. Take the cleaning rod with the bore brush on it. apply solvent to the brush and run through the chamber side of the barrel back and forth 15 times or so. Reapply solvent and repeat.

4. Clean solvent off of the brush or else you will have no brush left (I use aerosol brake cleaner) Air dry 5 min.

5. Screw patch jag on to cleaning rod. Take a dry patch and run it through the barrel chamber first. Then wet a patch with solvent and run it through the barrel chamber first. Repeat the dry patch then wet patch until the patches come out clean.

6. Dry the barrel and bore throughly. Apply some gun oil (not solvent) to all surfaces, then wipe dry.

7. Clean the slide inside and out with some solvent on a patch, (Q-Tips work good for all the nooks and crannies) wipe dry and repeat with oil.

8. Clean and lightly lubricate all shiny metal in the frame (working parts).

9. put your pistol back together, hold it up to your nose and breath in deeply.;) Ahhh! Thats the smell of a clean weapon!:D

10. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Is there any reason not to use cut-up paper towels (the soft absorbant kind) in place of the pre-cut patches sold in gun-shops?

Russell

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ummm...

Is there any reason not to use cut-up paper towels (the soft absorbant kind) in place of the pre-cut patches sold in gun-shops?

Russell
Yeah, they are way too thin. If its the cost your concerned with, an easy alternative to pre-made patches is to cut up some clean old t-shirts. Ive done this before and it works like a charm:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Another source to keep in mind for cheap but useful cloth scraps is Walmart. They sell a decent size bag of chopped up cloth which are about the consistency of t-shirt material for two and a half bucks or so. They're far too irregular to use for the inside of the barrel but they work great for cleaning everything else without being expensive like a quality patch for the bore would cost.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts