Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy board,

Just thought I'd add my experience thus far...

I bought a P99 .40cal on Friday and it came with 2 blue-follower 10-rounders... dunno what they were stamped. I shot 50 rounds through them (total, not each) and everything seemed okay. When I went outside and loaded some defense ammo into one of them it broke open, as others have posted. Closer inspection reveals that it was also about to break on the other side of the floorplate, and the other mag was cracked on BOTH sides, the whole length of the floorplate.

I went back inside and showed it to the guy I bought it from- he said he'd never seen it before, and neither had a couple of the other guys there. So they opened a brand new SW99 case (!) and gave me the mags out of it because they didn't have identical mags in stock. These were orange followers (stamped with the S&W logo), but they DON'T match the picture on the FAQ site (http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/III/8.html). They look to me exactly like the light blue follower in the FAQ, with the dimple in the metal, only orange.

Anyway, I shot 80 rounds total through those today. On the second mag, the slide failed to lock back when it was empty. I then shot ~50 rounds through the other mag, and it seems fine. I shot the first mag again, and it did the same thing. The last 20 rounds I shot through a 12-rounder (Mec-Gar) and it worked fine.

Get this: the guy I showed it to (different guy) said I should keep shooting it and maybe it'd go away in 100-200 rounds! So I'm going back tomorrow, and WHEN it fails again I'll have it (or both... if one has trouble now, I don't really trust the other) replaced on the spot again.

Another thing to note was that on one of the 2 10-rounders I had a problem once almost like the slide locking back prematurely. It didn't lock back, it just failed to push the round out of the mag... at all. It was resting against the cartridge, still firmly in the mag. I locked it back and dropped it and it loaded up just fine. Dunno... coulda been me.

Other than the mag issues I think this gun is awesome. I'm hoping the trigger will smooth out a bit soon as the FAQ says it will. The accuracy is very good, IMO. I can make better groups with this at 40 feet than with a Ruger P89 at 21, after only 150 rounds. The short SA trigger pull is what does it...

·
Registered
539 Posts
What can we tell you, the .40 mags SUCK. Get new floorplates from S&W, they arrive in a few days when in stock. Oh that's right, they're not in stock. Doh!
The red followers aren't very good. I have two mags with red followers and need to send them to S&W for replacement. They don't lock open the slide when it's cold.

Maybe I should revisit that floorplate replacement I was working on.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went back to the range this evening and shot 100 rounds of Winchester White box ammo through the 2 clips, 5 rounds at a time. They were both fine until I tried rapid-fire, at which point one of them (the same one as before) stopped locking the slide back when empty. The sales manager swapped me for the 12-round SW99 mag out of the rental unit and I shot 50 Magtech range rounds through it... works just fine (BTW, the floorplate on the SW 12-rounder is similar in style to the Mec-Gar 12-rounder, ie not the kind that breaks). Had a little trouble racking the first round when all 12 were loaded, but I eventually deduced that I was riding the slide back just a little. In any case, locking and dropping the slide worked every time.

So, I now have 1 new 12-rounder that has ~25 rounds through it and works fine, 1 used 12-rounder with probably a few thousand rounds through it, also working fine, and a new SW-marked red-orange follower 10-rounder with ~80 rounds that thus far seems to work fine. I convinced myself today that the FTF errors I described earlier were probably operator error (limp wrist) or just a break-in thing- it did it twice today (2/150 vs. 2/100 yesterday) and both times were much less noticable than yesterday.

I suspect that all three mags will be good for quite some time...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts