Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My first post here and first P99. I bought a P99 AS in 9mm, AE date code. Overall the fit/finish is very, very nice. Came with 2 15 round LE mags too

The frame is definitely not warped like some of the other 04 models, but looking at the muzzle end, I did notice the slide seems to rest closer to the right side of the frame. One positive note, the barrel does appear nicely centered within the slide.

My only other autos are sigs....so i have nothing to compare it with. The Sig design is too different at the end of the frame.

I would think the slide shoud look centered on the frame, but if it's normal I don't care. Can't wait to try this out.....I thought I better get the 99 AS before it's almost impossible to do so.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can you provide a picture? I would like to see how bad this looks. Certainly your concern is valid, and to my knowledge this is a first -- that I have heard of anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, no way to post a pic. I'm not too worried about it. The provided test target showed roughly a 2 inch 5 shot group at 25 meters.

I'm sure if it was jacked up it would not have performed that nicely, nor functioned reliably during the test fire.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Other than aesthetics, the performance/funtioning of the pistol is probably not affected one iota. I doubt you'd be able to tell a difference in the grip required if the slide is cockeye to the frame, either. My wife's P22 is like that, and although it is a less expensive gun, it still shoots great!

-stunks

·
Registered
821 Posts
One thing I might watch out for, though, is excessive wear on the barrel hood and locking lugs (like to one side). If the gun is bad enough to cycle crooked, then that's when it goes back to Walther for probably replacement.

-stunks

·
Registered
232 Posts
I did a teardown photo instruction compilation back in June and there's a few pictures you should be able to use to figure out if everything's ok.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome pics, I appreciate it, but I can only spot the off center look if I'm staring directly at the muzzle end of the weapon.

I do appreciate the help though, thats's an outstanding breakdown you have.

·
Registered
65 Posts
thats the spring on the striker assembely that you replaced with the glock spring

·
Registered
232 Posts
yes, these pictures were taken before I did that however, that's the factory spring. The 4.5# Wolff is about 1" shorter uncompressed and much softer (makes it easier to put the keepers back in).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

I finally got around to giving the pistols it's inital field strip and cleaning. I reassembled it, checked the muzzle end of the slide and she's as straight as can be. Weird...but I feel better.

BTW....what an easy pistol to field strip and clean!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts