Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought this gun today at the gun show in orlando florida. it is a new gun from one of the dealerd there. the slide is marked P99 and about a half inch back the letters TA. does anyone know what these letters mean? thanks.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Well now, there was just a big discussion about this gun a little while ago.  Congratulations on your purchase!  I'm glad to see there are some here in the States.

Give us a range report as soon as you can.

Extremist should be able to tell you what TA means. Probably not what we think it is

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You mean like this?

That is VERY interesting, unless Walther is pulling a surprise on us, or your dealer did an import from Germany, this gun is very rare (probably less than 50 produced), and not in production. I am actually trying to import one for my collection. If you got one, you are a lucky dog

I recently posted an article about this pistol on my Walther P99 page: Walther P99 TA

I'd be very curious to see pictures of it if you don't mind and also find out:

- what the S/N is (these were Police Trial Pistols with special S/N that are BAA 0xx)
- What did you pay for it?
- Does it have import markings on it?

I've never seen officially what the "TA" stands for, but if I had to make up an explanation for it, it would be:

P99 TA = P99 Totally Ambidextrous

James

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, i'll let you all know as soon as i pick it up tomorrow. i couldn't take it home today because the FDLE was closed and could not do a background check. i already bought 1000 rounds of 115gr. fmj winchester white box, so i will be doing lots of shooting my next range visit.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Please let me know if the dealer has more of them. I certainly wouldn't want to waste my time, and money importing one.

I was preparing to spend about $1000 to get one. I sure as heck don't want to do that if your dealer has another one

Contact me offline please and let me know. [email protected]

James

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the gun has the smith and wesson import information etched on the right side of the slide, and it has wide serrations at the back of the slide like a sw99. it is also single action/double action. the price for this was $499.00. he only had one. tomorrow i will ask him if he can get or has anymore at his gun shop and let you know. when i get it, i will take a picture of it and post it so you can see it. the SN# FAB9228

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Turns out Mr. Ratliffe bought himself a 2004 Model P99 AS, NOT a TA. Unfortunately, he's having problems with it

Regards,
James

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Well, that's too bad....on both accounts. I was looking forward to a TA myself.

What are his problems with the AS?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
From his description, it sounds like it is decocking after a SA trigger pull. I think we heard of this one other time on this board but I can't remember what the solution was.

James

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have another older p99 that doesn't do this, so i switched uppers with the defective lower and it does the same thing. that rules out the striker. i think it's in the fire control group or the trigger bar guide.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (P88 @ Jan. 03 2005,3:27)]Well, that's too bad....on both accounts. I was looking forward to a TA myself.
I decided to pass on this P99 TA. If anyone wants to get the seller's contact info, let me know.

James

1 - 12 of 12 Posts