Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new (date code AD) P5C to the range today and fired 185 rounds through it. Man is it a nice gun, nearly negligible recoil, quick to bring back on target, and very accurate to shoot. It's a definite keeper and will be my daily carry gun from now on. Its only rival for that honor might be the new H&K P7M8 I just bought, I'll know when I shoot the P7. I've retired the Sig 239DAK in .357Sig that used to be my carry gun. The P5C is just so much better a shooter and it's more ergonomically right for me. Plus, it's lighter, more balanced, and conceals better than the 239.

The problems I was having with chambering a round seem to have "gone away" like by magic. I don't know how or why. Maybe it was because the gun was brand new and had never been fired. It was having trouble feeding a round into the chamber when I manually closed the slide, the round kept getting stuck, didn't matter if it was ball ammo or a jacketed round. A similar problem was described here, earlier.

I keep a detailed range log of what I shoot through what gun. Here's the log for the maiden voyage of my 5C in the exact order of shooting. First rounds were:

50 rounds of American Ammunition/Israeli Military Industries 90 grain ball frangible. No FTF manually releasing slide before shooting a new magazine. One FTF during firing easily cleared, round partially fed into chamber, slide held open.

20 rounds Federal Personal Defense 115 grain JHP C98P. No FTF manually releasing the slide to chamber the first round. One serious FTF near the start of the second magazine, round stuck in slide with nose nearly vertical, trapped under hood. Had to insert a ball point pen case to push down the rounds in the mag in order to get the mag to release and let the stuck round fall free. There were other shooters in lanes next to mine so safety was extra important. Cleared the stoppage and shot the rest of this ammo OK.

20 rounds Speer Gold Dot 124 grain GDHP 23618. Loaded and fired off fine.

25 rounds Remington Golden Saber 147 grain brass JHP G59MMC. Loaded and fired off fine.

50 rounds Federal American Eagle 115 grain FMJ AE9DP. Loaded and fired off fine.

I really like this gun. It fits my hand like it was made for it. It points like it was part of my hand. It's remarkably accurate and when I do my bit I can put shots nearly anywhere I want them to go freehand up to 50 yards. Even shooting weak hand I could put most rounds I shot where I wanted them in a standard bad guy target at 25 yards.

Maybe the gun just needed "breaking in"? I'll know better after a few more range trips. But for now, my 5C stays on my strong side hip loaded with Golden Sabres.

I've posted this to the Walther subsection of Glock Talk, too.

Sorry, no pics. The gun wears Nills grips with the thumb rest and just looks KEWL.

Hats off to Earl of Earl's Repair Service (www.carlwalther.com) for working with me and more importantly having a 5C in stock when I called for one.

:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Mike.....
pictures pictures pircutres....
I think it is hard to compare the P5 and P7 other that both were police guns....
The P5 will have a much softer recoil... and I have said many times it feels like a .22lr....
IMHO the P7 still makes a better CCW compared to the P5... but that's just me... I love them both.....

*edit.... forgot to mention... welcome to the Forum... just now noticed that this was your first post.....enjoy your stay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try to figure out how my camera works and upload pics some day soon :)

Hope to have the H&K P7M8 here today or Monday. After I clean and lube it I'll run a variety of 9mm through it and report back on how it shoots for me compared to my 5C.

I paid $1,604 for the NIB P5C including two (I think it was) extra mags. Worth every cent. I also got (for extra money) a Walther black leather thumb break belt holster at the time but the fit is so snug it's tough to work the snap to close it up so I'm buying the open top version of the same.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
WOWOWOWOWOW.

Well, enjoy the gun :)

If its worth it to U, that's all that counts. I spent almost as much on my PS90 (more, with all the accesories for it)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You got a deal!

I think I did, too:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts