Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand-new P22 that won't extract consistently when I hand-cycle it (successfully extracts maybe 1 of 15). I haven't fired the gun yet and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experinece.

I've tried Federal, Winchester, and Aquila ammo with comparable results; I also checked about 5 times to make sure everything was nice and clean around the extractor.

My first thought was ammo, so I am going to pick up some mini-mags tomorrow (seems they work well for people here).

Other thoughts:
-Maybe it will extract when actually fired? (anyone want to try hand cycling a few rounds and tell me how it goes?)
-Maybe the extractor spring is weak?
-??

Other stuff: the gun is a 2003 model (AD date code), S&W marked, mags have the "A" suffix and feed fine.

Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated; should I talk to the shop before I fire it, or take it to the range and then deal with Walrep and/or the local shop?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Chairman,

Just run a few boxes (CCI MiniMags are fine) of high velocity ammo through it to get it started (run it). If you encounter FTF/FTE issues and/or anything else worth reporting, please, let us know.

Unless you actually shoot it no theoretical pros and cons will hold any water.

Since you have already removed the factory lube and have lightly oiled it (w/ a Teflon-based dry-lube preferably), go out there and have fun. This is a most enjoyable .22 pistol.

After 2K-3K rounds start using Subsonics. Subsonic .22 ammo is easier to control with less noise than HV fodder.

Then if one day you add: 1) a threaded adaptor and a silencer and 2) a Red Dot Sight to your P22, you will reach nirvana!

Crete

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the thoughts; this is my first rimfire pistol--all my other handgun experience is with Sigs. I have a whole pile of mini mags just waiting for school to give me a little break; and a silencer is on my wish list--but not for a couple years. I have to figure out where I am going to end up after I graduate (if I can even own a silencer there...)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Range report!

Took the new P22 out today and ran a couple hundred mini mags through it without any problems! I had one near stovepipe, but I was trying to empty the mag as fast as I could, and may have been limp-wristing it.

Thanks for the help guys; the P22 really is fun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, I don't even bother with anything beneath sonic ammo for mine... recoil isn't a hassle for me so I like shooting the Hi-Vel stuff. Mine seems to cycle alot better and I've shot 10rd strings inside of 2.5 seconds (That's as close as my brother can accurately measure while I'm shooting).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts