Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new firearms enthusiast and recently purchased my first semi-auto handgun, a NIB P22 with nickel slide. I have owned a S&W J-Frame for years as a home defense piece but it is not much fun to shoot at the range. So I decide to buy a 22LR as my first semi-auto to have something affordable to shoot and see how well l liked it.

So I have a "newbie" question for you senior members of the forum.

I have owned the P22 for 5 weeks and have made four trips to the range, each time shooting about 150 rounds. The first three trips I shot exclusively CCI Mini Mags, on my last trip I tried a mix of WWB, Remington Thunderbolt and CCI Mini Mags. On three occasions I have had a spent casing stuck in the chamber. Really stuck and it took some effort to remove. Racking the slide would not remove it. In two instances it occurred with the Mini Mags and the last time it occurred with the WWB in the first magazine with a clean gun.

I am aware of the P22's rep as an ammo snob and expected FTF/FTE issues.
I cleaned the weapon before it's initial use and cleaned it after each subsequent use.

So my newbie question ...Is this normal behavior for a 22LR pistol?

My initial thoughts were that I might have a defective extractor or perhaps a damaged barrel/chamber. Since I was mostly using CCI mini mags I thought the ammo was probably not the issue.

BTW, the gun will sometime eject the spent rounds towards my face. I have had them hit me on the forehead. This does not occur with every shot but it does happen each time I have been to the range. At best the cases eject closely over my right shoulder. Is this something I should expect Walther to correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi and welcome...
Not sure what WWB is (Wally World Bulk?).
Stuck casings.... have seen this off and on for a number of years. I guess I would not suspect the extractor (blowback system...extractor does not come into play), but instead faulty ammo. I do not trust or like Thunderbolts at all as they can lead up your barrel in a hurry. I always have a small wooden dowel in my case which I use to push out stuck brass. Insert from the business end of the barrel and tap on the wood till it pops out. I have also had live rounds get stuck and used the same method to remove them. You could possibly damage the chamber face or... well you get the picture. CCI minimags = happy shooting.
Remington Golden Bullets = same .

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Welcome glacierhiker....better move fast, it appears those big rascals are melting fast. :( jbr01 has it right. Those thunderbolts can really lead up your barrel and chamber. Just because the barrel appears clean and shiny doesn't mean you got the lead out. Lead gets shiny too. A round should freely drop into and fall out of a clean chamber. If it doesn't.....your chamber isn't clean yet. WWB is many times the short name for anything Winchester in a white box. What, a spent case hit you right between the eyes?.....:eek: Uh, yepper, a problem that has been with the P22 since day one. The solution is to close up the gap between the extractor tip and the rim of a spent case. Many threads on this. Welcome to the Forum and join in the fun. If read up on some stuff around here. If you have problems with the pistol we can probably set you straight. M1911

·
Registered
176 Posts
I always make sure I'm shooting with a hat and eye protection and I don't worry about brass hitting me in the face. It's a quirk of the gun that I've gotten used to.

As far as the rounds stuck in chamber, that simply tells me you have a dirty chamber. Same thing happened to a buddy of mine who swore up and down he cleans after every trip to the range. Turns out he was just running a Boresnake through his .22 until the barrel looked shiny. He finally gave it a good cleaning, and everything's feeding fine again.

Just remember, something shiny isn't necessarily clean.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
I put a Volquartz extractor in mine, made a little improvement.

After a while, it started to mess up again, so I took it all apart and cleaned it really well, and noticed my fancy schmancy extractor was broken on the "hook" edge. Stuck the stocker back in, filed down the hammer face, clipped 2 coils off of the recoil spring, and now she'll run through almost any ammo that's 1250 fps or faster. CCI mini mags and stingers are flawless, though if I run several mags through pretty fast they tend to not pull the cases from the chamber occasionally. I've got some lead bullet rounds that work pretty well, but I tend to not shoot them as often due to barrel/chamber leading.

I could mill down the hammer a slight bit more, and/or notch the back of the slide where the hammer's face rides as the pistol cycles, but for now it's good enough. If I ever stick a can on it and run "quiet" ammo, I might just go that route if the slower ammo proves to be a problem. :p

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've sometimes had that problem with M22s or Aquilas, but never with Minimags or RGBs. If I don't have anything to poke the spent case out with, by holding the slide/barrel with my right hand and squeezing the extractor really hard with my right thumb and racking the slide will usually clear the case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi JBR01,
When you say " I do not trust or like Thunderbolts at all as they can lead up your barrel in a hurry", is there something specifically inferior about Thunderbolts or would this apply to all lead nosed ammo?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I bought a bunch of the Thunderbolts early on and did not realize what was going on inside my barrel till I took a good led light and saw streaks and clumps up and down. Many patches and brushes later I could see the clean shiny rifling again. I tried to take pictures of it all, but I'm just not that good at lighting and macro stuff. I had another batch of lead nosed rounds from Blazer which seemed to do better, perhaps harder lead? Don't know. I finally settled on Remington Golden bullets and have not looked back. The Rem's have a copper coating or something like that. Ignition is always positive (oh, sure a few duds...) and very close in power to the also excellent CCI minimags. Both of these brands allow the slide to cycle fully even with a full mag. Gee, I wish I could by some of these again. None of any brand name around here... :mad:

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had that problem with one particular brand of ammo (SuperX HV, I think).

CCI minimags, velocitors, stingers have alway been the best. At $8.00 per 100 this isn't too bad for minimags.

Keep it clean, and clean the magazines too, and you'll be fine.

Regards,
Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts