Walther Forums banner

New P22 Barrel Damage

6K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  tootired76 
#1 ·
So I've had this baby about a month and I finally go to hit the range with it. I felt every thing was going well. I was using CCI Mini Mag as that seems to be the prefered ammo which ive seen on this forum prior to purchasing the P22. So after 100rds I started to notice the ammo was impacting very erratic at best. Some left, some right. I went into a very supported position and carefully squeezed off a mag of 10. no joy in the 5 inch taget at 7m. I packed up and headed home to clean. While conducting a simple cursory inspection of the out side of the weapon after clearing, I noticed extreme chipping and scuffing of the metal around the barrel tip. Upon further inspection I noticed the scuffing and chipping extended into the barrel, approx. 1/4in. I thouroghly cleaned the weapon prior to use and made sure it was fuction checked and well lubricated. (not dripping but well lubed). Im curious if anyone has any idea. Right now i can only assume the barrel failed. I do have 16 years in the Infantry and am a Master Gunner. Ive been around guns since I was 8. its almost like the barrel was simply crumbling as I shot.

#32 ·
Were the groups above offhand tootired? They look similar to me. The P22, Ruger SR22, Smith .22 compact are all short barrel, light weight, semi auto pistols. Which makes them all a bit tricky to shoot straight. A P22 mounted in a mechanical rest will easily group five round 1" and under at 25 meters. The rest is up to the shooter. But short barrel, light weight pistols are easily pulled off target compared to heavy ones. I put a red dot on one of mine. Wife called that cheating as she put them all in a tight circle at 21'. 1917

#35 ·
OK! Was at Old Fart's day yesterday. Here is my results with CCI ammo. Shot 100 total. 20 through each bull at 7 yards. Held arms against bench. Upon arriving home I cleaned the Walther. No lead fouling of the barrel this time!! And it seemed there was a lot less black carbon crap! You can see on the target pic where I hurried my shots. Second pic is the ammo I have shot through my P22Q. I don't know if I can co-relate lead fouling to hollow points. Third it seems to me CCI and Winchester are plated. I suppose I need to shoot more for more accurate data!! (that breaks my heartt!!)
White Circle Font Art Pattern

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.