Walther Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
You gotta admit....he has some pretty good looking cleaning rods. All I can afford is an old Elm stick cut off the nearest tree. I personally think he got to shooting, got a big grin on his face and his trigger finger went full auto. M1911

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I actually haven't tried to rapid fire or controlled pairs yet. I'm still trying to get a reliable and repeatable grouping. I actually got the spear tip for a dollar and the bore brush for two. The rod assembly with handle was the bank breaker. $14.00. However it was well spent I think since the barrel is now clean smooth and shiny. The groves on the P22 are very shallow, however you can see them all the way from chamber to tip.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
I'm not surprised the Ruger eventually went down. I've heard that the stoopid loaded chamber thingy Ruger uses on the Mark III pistols is an effective crap trap.
If a round won't fully seat....the firing pin won't work. I'm not even sure the trigger works on the MK series of pistols if the bolt doesn't close. This is a good thing. The chamber on .22s can and will get dirty and since nearly all springs are relatively weak, especially the recoil spring whether around the barrel, under it or in the bolt you get a stoppage rather than an out of battery nuclear explosion. I don't think the loaded chamber indicator has any thing to do with it, at least not from my experience but the contraption is ugly. M1911

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I've had this baby about a month and I finally go to hit the range with it. I felt every thing was going well. I was using CCI Mini Mag as that seems to be the prefered ammo which ive seen on this forum prior to purchasing the P22. So after 100rds I started to notice the ammo was impacting very erratic at best. Some left, some right. I went into a very supported position and carefully squeezed off a mag of 10. no joy in the 5 inch taget at 7m. I packed up and headed home to clean. While conducting a simple cursory inspection of the out side of the weapon after clearing, I noticed extreme chipping and scuffing of the metal around the barrel tip. Upon further inspection I noticed the scuffing and chipping extended into the barrel, approx. 1/4in. I thouroghly cleaned the weapon prior to use and made sure it was fuction checked and well lubricated. (not dripping but well lubed). Im curious if anyone has any idea. Right now i can only assume the barrel failed. I do have 16 years in the Infantry and am a Master Gunner. Ive been around guns since I was 8. its almost like the barrel was simply crumbling as I shot.
I jus bought a brand new P22q and I have the exact same problem after shooting 50 rounds. Did you get your gun fixed? Did Walther replace the barrel?
Thanks in advance. —PK

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
It's probably lead build up. Plated ammo does a better job of resisting this. Soft bare lead is the worst especially if it is hot and you are shooting fast. Doesn't matter which .22 pistol. And that lead is a bit hard to scrub out. Barrels are really tough, they have to be. 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I've had this baby about a month and I finally go to hit the range with it. I felt every thing was going well. I was using CCI Mini Mag as that seems to be the prefered ammo which ive seen on this forum prior to purchasing the P22. So after 100rds I started to notice the ammo was impacting very erratic at best. Some left, some right. I went into a very supported position and carefully squeezed off a mag of 10. no joy in the 5 inch taget at 7m. I packed up and headed home to clean. While conducting a simple cursory inspection of the out side of the weapon after clearing, I noticed extreme chipping and scuffing of the metal around the barrel tip. Upon further inspection I noticed the scuffing and chipping extended into the barrel, approx. 1/4in. I thouroghly cleaned the weapon prior to use and made sure it was fuction checked and well lubricated. (not dripping but well lubed). Im curious if anyone has any idea. Right now i can only assume the barrel failed. I do have 16 years in the Infantry and am a Master Gunner. Ive been around guns since I was 8. its almost like the barrel was simply crumbling as I shot.
I was just at the range with my P22Q.Last month I had previously sent 20 rounds of old Remington and at least 180 Winchester. On Monday we shot 50 more Winchester We noticed the rounds were erratic and key holing the target. Got it home and noticed the cleaning rod no longer fit in the barrel!! Inside the barrel looked damaged and crinkly, especially near the bore end. Took several attempts to force the rod through. I actually had to "hammer" the brush through! Took about 2 hours with a copper bristled brush and Remington 40 - X bore cleaner to finally get all the crinklyness out! Land and grooves are all shiny. Been around guns for about 50 years and have never seen lead fouling this bad, not even in the Army. Took LOTS of elbow grease to fix. Seems these Walthers are prone to this by reading other forums. I don't know if there is a solution to this, nor do I know if Walther is aware of this. From what I have been reading here, ammo is not the issue since all of us have experienced what seems like "barrel failure". I'm going to shoot it again Monday because it's "Old Farts" night at the range. I'll let you know how I do or rather how my Walther fares.
tootired76

·
Registered
389 Posts
I was just at the range with my P22Q.Last month I had previously sent 20 rounds of old Remington and at least 180 Winchester. On Monday we shot 50 more Winchester We noticed the rounds were erratic and key holing the target. Got it home and noticed the cleaning rod no longer fit in the barrel!! Inside the barrel looked damaged and crinkly, especially near the bore end. Took several attempts to force the rod through. I actually had to "hammer" the brush through! Took about 2 hours with a copper bristled brush and Remington 40 - X bore cleaner to finally get all the crinklyness out! Land and grooves are all shiny. Been around guns for about 50 years and have never seen lead fouling this bad, not even in the Army. Took LOTS of elbow grease to fix. Seems these Walthers are prone to this by reading other forums. I don't know if there is a solution to this, nor do I know if Walther is aware of this. From what I have been reading here, ammo is not the issue since all of us have experienced what seems like "barrel failure". I'm going to shoot it again Monday because it's "Old Farts" night at the range. I'll let you know how I do or rather how my Walther fares.
tootired76
Taurus has similar issues with some TX22 barrels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
tootired76
Was at the range this afternoon. Shot 60 rounds through the P22Q. Interesting results. All were shot at 7 yards. Lower right was the first 20 rounds. Lower left was the 2nd 20 rounds. Middle you can see the rounds starting to get erratic with another 20 shots.All 60 were Winchester Super X FMJ hollow points.
tootired76
White Automotive design Plant Font Rim

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
The cure is......plated ammo. Keep the chamber clean and the barrel will go thousands and thousands of rounds before needing a cleaning. You are right about that elbow grease tootired, sometimes that is the only solution and you might need a lot of it. 1917

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Were the groups above offhand tootired? They look similar to me. The P22, Ruger SR22, Smith .22 compact are all short barrel, light weight, semi auto pistols. Which makes them all a bit tricky to shoot straight. A P22 mounted in a mechanical rest will easily group five round 1" and under at 25 meters. The rest is up to the shooter. But short barrel, light weight pistols are easily pulled off target compared to heavy ones. I put a red dot on one of mine. Wife called that cheating as she put them all in a tight circle at 21'. 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
Were the groups above offhand tootired? They look similar to me. The P22, Ruger SR22, Smith .22 compact are all short barrel, light weight, semi auto pistols. Which makes them all a bit tricky to shoot straight. A P22 mounted in a mechanical rest will easily group five round 1" and under at 25 meters. The rest is up to the shooter. But short barrel, light weight pistols are easily pulled off target compared to heavy ones. I put a red dot on one of mine. Wife called that cheating as she put them all in a tight circle at 21'. 1917
Yes. I fired all without resting my hands or arms on or against anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK! Was at Old Fart's day yesterday. Here is my results with CCI ammo. Shot 100 total. 20 through each bull at 7 yards. Held arms against bench. Upon arriving home I cleaned the Walther. No lead fouling of the barrel this time!! And it seemed there was a lot less black carbon crap! You can see on the target pic where I hurried my shots. Second pic is the ammo I have shot through my P22Q. I don't know if I can co-relate lead fouling to hollow points. Third it seems to me CCI and Winchester are plated. I suppose I need to shoot more for more accurate data!! (that breaks my heartt!!)
White Circle Font Art Pattern

21 - 37 of 37 Posts