Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had this baby about a month and I finally go to hit the range with it. I felt every thing was going well. I was using CCI Mini Mag as that seems to be the prefered ammo which ive seen on this forum prior to purchasing the P22. So after 100rds I started to notice the ammo was impacting very erratic at best. Some left, some right. I went into a very supported position and carefully squeezed off a mag of 10. no joy in the 5 inch taget at 7m. I packed up and headed home to clean. While conducting a simple cursory inspection of the out side of the weapon after clearing, I noticed extreme chipping and scuffing of the metal around the barrel tip. Upon further inspection I noticed the scuffing and chipping extended into the barrel, approx. 1/4in. I thouroghly cleaned the weapon prior to use and made sure it was fuction checked and well lubricated. (not dripping but well lubed). Im curious if anyone has any idea. Right now i can only assume the barrel failed. I do have 16 years in the Infantry and am a Master Gunner. Ive been around guns since I was 8. its almost like the barrel was simply crumbling as I shot.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Nah.....that's lead. M1911

Oh yeah, welcome Remenant.

Does it look something like this? Anytime rounds start key holing, moving around for no apparent reason, etc. you either have lead deposits or a loose barrel. Make sure the barrel nut stays tight on the P22 also. That lead is fun to remove too......break out a big bottle of elbow grease. If you are Army....it is lead. If you are a Marine......well, most of em I knew kinda shot all over the target and into the dirt anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update with Pics

I will check to see if it is actually Lead deposits. However it appeared as gouges in the barrel tip.

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
That's leading for sure, but you may also have a rough crown that's shaving lead off the bullet. I had a similar issue with my S&W MP22c, and a little Flitz run through the bore a few times with a tight-fitting patch cleaned it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes it was absolutely lead. Im still trying to get it out. Makes sense about the rough crown. Thank you all for the amazing responses. Oh and yeah I was bragging about the pistol. Mixed evenly with skepticism since the aveage review of the pistol is less than stellar. However aside from my rookiness with the P22 as it is new to me, I'm a believer in it. Take care and Remember the Fallen this Weekend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Absolutely. I used a lot of information from this forum and certainly the decor within to help me decide. As for shooting too fast. I did not rapid fire, I also did not fire controlled pairs. Slow well aimed shot as I was just trying to get familiar with the pistol.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
I think it rather rare to lead up a barrel, even the P22 with plated ammo. Waxed or bare lead is another story. One time I had a shoot out between a P22 and a Ruger Mark III target pistol. The test was to see which would fire the most rounds before stoppages....any stoppage. 99% of the bets were on the Ruger. I knew better. I knew the Walther was going to kick azz. It did. I knew exactly what was going to take the Ruger down and it did. Heat. I wasn't rapid firing but the Ruger simply couldn't disparate the heat fast enough and shooting plated RGBs stopped the pistol at 400 or 500 rounds. No cleaning was allowed. The P22 finished the 1,000 or more round mark and was still going strong but I was getting hungry and quit. Some folks cried foul.....but, it was a fair shoot. The P22 with looser tolerances and a cooler barrel ran and ran. I have also leaded up; the P22 firing Thunderbolts and in the summer around here, a pistol sitting in the sun can get hot enough from that alone to make it too hot to hold.

Lead is hard to get out. :cool: M1911

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190643

Link above....man, the foolishness I've done having fun with .22 pistols. I was also testing some prototype magazines for Walther but I couldn't mention that at the time. They were the B series. Back in the day when a box of 500+ rounds cost $6.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any special tips for removing that lead? Normal barrel brush and struggle is what I'm thinking.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Remember that comment about a big can of elbow grease. Some folks soak with Kroil, some with other cleaners. I'm not sure you couldn't remove the barrel and heat it a bit to soften the lead somewhat but for the most part....it takes scrubbing. You can find about 100 remedies for lead removal. None of them without that elbow grease. The rifling in the barrel of a P2 is fairly shallow and I found that once the lead begins to let go long slivers of it come out pretty easily. Look Gunney.....I thought this would be close to your expertise. What, those tanks don't have leading issues. :) The lead simply melts and with each shot get pounded tighter and tighter against the barrel. I doubt there is anything wrong with the crown or barrel nut. In over ten years of following the pistol I've never read of an issue there even once.

In your case if a brass brush isn't making much progress you might try the blunt end of a cleaning rod with a patch fitted sort of tight in the barrel. Lubricate every thing well and tap the cleaning rod lightly forward as you encounter resistance. In this way you might loosen the plug and knock it out of the barrel. Then clean it shiny clean with the brush and a patch.

Just stay after it and use plated ammo. If you aren't using plated....fire somewhat a bit slower. M1911

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE

Took her out again today and fired another 250rds of CCI mini mag. First 100 went well and then during the 101-150 very sketchy at best. the shots seemed to have a mind of their own. Basically erratic and all over the place. I had previously tightened the barrel nut but no avail. then from rounds 151-250 the shots started to tighten and stopped being erratic. Even managed to put the last 50 into a golf ball sized group at 10m.

Further more I put that elbow grease into the leading I mistook for damage. Ran a spear tip jag through the barrel. Wow was it so very not easy to push through. Eventually it fell through and here are some pics of the huge chunk which came with the tip.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
You should not be having more leading issues especially with plated ammo. Save that wad, you can almost make another bullet out of it. CCI is plated as I recall. Take a close look at that barrel to make sure the entire bore is sparkling clean from chamber to muzzle. It is possible to leave some in the bore and it can shine up pretty bright also. In the link I put up the Ruger was leading and the chamber was getting dirty. I knew that would take it down first as I had fired the Ruger to stoppage several times before. What big steel barrel heats up....it stays heated up. While I was firing the rounds were going off as much as 8" from poa and in all directions. Since my backstop is only 24" square...that was getting too close for comfort. Then, it seems to have blown out the lead and gotten back to firing properly until the tighter chamber stopped the rounds from fully seating. The shoot off wasn't rigged, the P22 is just looser and will run longer. At 82' the Ruger will group 5 rounds in under 1/2". The P22 with a 5" barrel is close behind at under 1". M1911

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
...Eventually it fell through and here are some pics of the huge chunk which came with the tip.
One has to ask: how and why? Was it the ammo, or something about the muzzle end of the barrel?

Never seen anything like that before, but then I have not seen all P22s --only enough of them to know that I don't want another one ---ever.

M

1 - 20 of 34 Posts