Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a truly NIB P-5. The serial is 0268XX, "Interarms Alexandria" and "Made in Germany" on the right hand of the slide. Booklet is a bit wrinkled from being pressed in the box and it is written in German with English, French and Spanish translations.

The gunshop took it in trade from a local who bought it in the '80s, put it away and never fired it. No marks on the pistol, mags or inside the mechanism. Black plastic grip.

Anyone tell me how to determine the age of this beauty?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Congrats!

IIRC, Walther uses the alphabetic system for date codes:

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  K

0  1  2  3   4  5  6  7  8  9

a date code of "ID" = 1983 "II" = 1988 etc (there is no "J" code)

The date code letters should be grouped near the Ulm & nitros proofmarks

HTH

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IC = 1982.

Great--Thanks

I'm pretty excited with it.  It was on gunbroker, but it did not sell.  He mentioned that he would take trades in the listing and I contacted him after the auction ended and went to his shop (he is about and hour and a haf away by interstate).  I traded a really nice CZ pistol and $$, and now I have it.

I tried to find a value for it before hand, but was unable to do so and so I had to decide if it was worth the asking price when I looked at it.  

I hate to take it to the range, it is perfect and unfired.  I was expecting that it would be in OK condition, but this is beyond my expecations.  In addition, the gunshop owner was a great guy to deal with.-- a real gentleman.

Do you have an idea of the value?  I searched the boards and saw asking prices of 750+; Midwest Ordinace has one NIB with a serial of over 100K at 799.99--is that a correct range?  If so I got a great deal.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Hello Cigarman,

Seen new, unfired go from $800.00 to $950.00. And before you get strange thoughts, let me remind you that P5s were designed and meant to be fired.

Congratulations. You did good. Pretty accurate and cool-looking little fellow you got there.

Now you need a PP Super.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been waiting for you, my Friend.  As I told you, I know where a Super is.  A guy comes to the gunshows locally and I have seen it at every show he has been at for 2 years.  He has it every time--wants a mint for it and it is not 9mm Police.  He has a sign that it is one of 1500 made or some such.

At this point I am happy with my P-5.  

Now I need a PPK and PPK/S.

I have had  a model every CZ pistol made and now I take on the Walthers...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Walther PP Super .380. IIRC, Dieter Marschall mentioned 14,000 manufactured in 9x18U and 4,000 in .380. The .380s sell from $750.00 to $1,200 depending on condition. Pretty hard to come by, but can be found with a bit of patience. Accurate as heck, the 3.62 in. barrel makes it easy. And I've heard no one complain about the grip. Born to be held.

Having given my Sphinx AT-380M to my father-in-law as a New Year's day present, my .380 has become my secondary carry. P5 has been for awhile now my primary.

You already have a Manurhin. Remember that postwar, all PPs and PPKs were manufactured by Manurhin until 1980 something. PPK/s I'm not sure where. Interarms?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I remember correctly he wants 675 for it; I guess that is not a mint after reading your comments here.

·
Registered
754 Posts
$675.00 is a very good deal for a Walther PP Super .380. Which leads me to think that either, the gun is really junkie or it's not a .380. Or the seller ran out of the green pills.

Do yourself a favor and next time out haggle with the seller(knowing the deals you find and obtain). It will say 9mm kurz, left slide. If 9x18, then 9x18. Takedown is the same as your Manurhin. And it's as easy as this. If it looks good, it's good. If it looks like junk, it's junkie. No secrets with the PP Super. If it has been fired much, you will feel the gritty, loose trigger. Replace the mainspring. Voila!

People didn't(haven't) fire(d) the .380s much. It is sort of a safe queen for most anybody. But, how accurate they are. A pleasure to shoot. Put some Hirtenberger on it, and off it goes!  No WWB from Wally's World for this guy. Loves hot European ammo.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976520039.htm
A good buy.(Port, left. Starboard, right)

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976422178.htm
A crappy buy. No mags(btw, $60.00 each +-).

·
Registered
280 Posts
hey cigarman, my date code is IB and serial is 0232xx for comparision.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Walrus.

One of the frustrating things about this pistol is the lack of info on them. I have found a number of websites, but all of them repeat the same info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts