Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two new Walther PPK/S and just bought an older PP. It the older version that except 380’s among others but I would like to know more about it. SN 337638 and has the letters NDS one both sides. One of the instruction booklets had 10Mar1963 written on it which is the European way of writing the date. Where can I go to find info on the gun?? Thank you!

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Try WaltherForums.com Oh wait, that's where you are. Good going.

Somewhat like this one.. German police pistol and I can't remember which district your stamp represents but I got one from them as well. .32 and it is a pleasure to shoot. Mine is a 1969 model and I got a good buy on it but the ejector spring was missing and the hammer would sometimes follow the slide forward. A couple of new parts arrived in the mail one day from someone here. I installed them and all has been fine since. The hammer block spring was bad but I doubt you could tell it by comparing the old and new side by side and by eye. 1917

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Niedersachsen must have bought a lot of PPs over an extended period of time. Mine is s/n 357K =1966. I think those big Nds logos are kinda neat.

M

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Did you say your PP is a .380 cal model? That is also called a 9mmK (kurz) or a 9mm short. If so, they have a pretty stout recoil since these are blowback operated. They will kick back pretty hard against your shoulder if you have your arm outstretched. I was thinking most of these PP pistols were chambered in .32 ACP. Not sure why I thought that, guess I assumed they all purchased the same caliber. The .32 is much softer shooting. Smaller, lighter, less powerful round when compared to the .380 versions. Seems I remember the German Police moving up to 9mm after the Munich massacre in 1972. The old pistols were then sold. The PPK/S did not come about until after the U.S. Gun Control Act of 1968. 1917

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello Janemester, congratulations on your new purchase of a Walther PP, caliber 380 ACP.
A while ago I had the opportunity to shoot in the range a 1938 Walther PP pristine, in 7.65 caliber, and although I returned it, due to the deplorable state of its scratched on the very rusty pipe, an unforgivable detail for my standard. I remember saying to myself, this pistol is very enjoyable to shoot in range, for its low recoil. And although I was not satisfied with his precision 5 inches at 25 yards, this is very mediocre for me, in a weapon. I attributed the lack of precision to the poor condition of the pipe.
Now, when I got ready to shoot my new Walther PP, in 380 ACP caliber, I expected a strong recoil and the famous tram wound in my hand, due to several negative reports about it.
My pleasant surprise was that I was surprised by the little setback and pleasant that my PP was, in 380 ACP and absolutely nothing hurt me. It is more so nice and fast you can shoot with one hand, which removed all the ghosts from my fears and confirmed the correctness of my choice.
Perhaps, because it has a shorter slide, the PPK / S version, has a bigger recoil?
Well, I hope your appreciations, it will be a pleasure to enjoy reading your valuable opinions.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I don't believe in .380. Niedersachen (Lower Saxonia) didn't used any PP chambered in 9mm kurz. If it's .380, the gun is a 'marriage' of different parts/guns.

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
The .380's recoil is more like a 'twang' or a rap on the frame than an actual hard kicker like a .44 or light .357. Hopefully, it won't bother the OP's shoulder.
The longer, heavier slide on a PP is reputedly more pleasant to shoot than its shorter cousin.
Has it been decided that it is actually a .380?
Moon

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree with 1917, I'm also confused by the second sentence. Jane just reopened an old thread above about NDS pistol so I'm wondering exactly if this is the same pistol. Clarification by the OP is needed.

Duncan

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Acc. to the serial number OP mentioned it's chambered in 7,65mm and was probably made in 1963/1964. To be more correct check out the German proof date, visible thru ejection port.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Janemiester,

You have 2 threads going on what appears to be the same PP. You reopened a 15 year old thread and this one. Please clarify your questions. In both you say it "accepts .380". The correct thing to do is: 1. Take photos of both sides and post them, or 2. Give a detailed description of the left side of the slide, including the description of the caliber.

We are attempting to help you, but without your feedback we are beating a dead horse. One thing for certain DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LOAD THIS PISTOL UNTIL YOU ARE 100% CERTAIN OF ITS CALIBER. I hate to "yell" at you, but "accepts .380" is not acceptable. Maybe I'm just getting cranky from stay at home requirements, but this is also a safety issue. I know some magazines "accept" different calipers, but that doesn't mean it is safe to fire. My original Ortgies magazine does this, but the weapon is chambered in .32 acp. (Note: The barrel can be changed to .380 acp, and safely fire this round.)

Duncan

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
Even if it fits the mag, it won't fit the chamber. But yeah, we should be sure of caliber before loading.
A guy in this conversation actually managed to run a .32 casing the whole way thru' his Dillon press set for .380s, and seated the bullet. :eek: It's makes a real conversation starter.
Moon

Reactions: Duncanppk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Moon,

Yes, it won't chamber, but bad things happen when there is an ammo mix up. In a PP probably not as bad as some other weapons. However, some rifles will chamber another cartridge similar in case size, but with larger bullets. Really bad things then happen in these instances. Also, playing around with a cartridge jammed at the rear of the barrel can be very dangerous. Keep the work bench clean and cartridges well marked to avoid problems.

I just wanted to warn the OP about making sure of his calibers.

Duncan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am sorry that I am not navigating very well. Didn’t know how to take pictures. I think I know know and hope these pictures will help. There’s also an Eagle over a N under neath the grips. You will have to widen the picture to see the Eagles

Attachments

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Very nice. 7.65mm or .32. The pistol looks new. That one will be a pleasure to shoot compared to a .380 version. I have to restrict my wife from shooting mine.....she will go through all the ammo. Good going on a very nice pistol. 1917

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
I should add that sometimes, aftermarket grips can interfere with action of upper fire control parts. Should you have any issues....remove the grips and have a look for where something might be rubbing. 1917

1 - 20 of 20 Posts