Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smith announced a new Shield variant with 10-round capacity today.

Interestingly they are going with a flat-faced trigger with dingus rather than their hinged-trigger design.

This is what I thought Walther would do with the PPS.

Does this put more pressure on Walther to respond with an evolved PPS??

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Smith announced a new Shield variant with 10-round capacity today.

Interestingly they are going with a flat-faced trigger with dingus rather than their hinged-trigger design.

This is what I thought Walther would do with the PPS.

Does this put more pressure on Walther to respond with an evolved PPS??
Walther should have introduced a subcompact 10+ round cc competitor instead of (IMO) a "me too" that only competes with existing Walthers.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The Shield Plus actually comes with a flush 10-round mag and an extended 13-round mag. It is hard to imagine a 13+1 configuration in the same size pistol as the original Shield that only held 8+1 with its extended magazine.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Shield Plus actually comes with a flush 10-round mag and an extended 13-round mag. It is hard to imagine a 13+1 configuration in the same size pistol as the original Shield that only held 8+1 with its extended magazine.
The grip has got be thicker than the original. That's not necessarily bad. The original felt painfully thin in my hands.

I'm currious as to what Smith did to the trigger. While fine for it's intended purpose, I just never enjoyed the feel of the Shields trigger. Obviously others didn't mind it as Smith sold literally a million of them.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You are correct that the grip is about .10" larger overall, but most would not even notice that. the slide is the same, which means that all the aftermarket holsters and sights should work just fine.

The trigger has once again bee improved and I've now seen two reviews that show it being sub 5lbs, and with an even shorter reset.

I believe that the literal number of units sold is closer to 4 million now.

Reactions: TT86

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are correct that the grip is about .10" larger overall, but most would not even notice that. the slide is the same, which means that all the aftermarket holsters and sights should work just fine.

I believe that the literal number of units sold is closer to 4 million now.
Thanks for the response. I knew the gun sold well but I had no idea is sold that well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I learned to shoot with my Gen 1 Shield and probably why shooting my new PDP accurately has come easy. I didn't think I'd ever sell/trade it, but the Plus definitely has me thinking otherwise. The 13+1 capacity & better trigger in the same size is going to be hard not to.

I've shot both the Sig P365 & P365XL and I like the Shield better. I felt the Glock 43X shot most comparable to my Shield.

·
Registered
146 Posts
They will need to make it a bit smaller than current PPS. Tad shorter barrel bit wider, Optic ready, sight flexibility i.e Glock sights like PDP.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Well, I just ordered the M&P Shield Plus 13+1. I have and older Shield as my truck gun. I love my Walther PPS m2, my PPQ m2, my P99 and my P99sc. I love my Hellcat and my XDS mod2 with the Crimson Trace 1500 optic. I also love my 1911's among others. What can I say? I love guns!

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I just ordered the M&P Shield Plus 13+1. I have and older Shield as my truck gun. I love my Walther PPS m2, my PPQ m2, my P99 and my P99sc. I love my Hellcat and my XDS mod2 with the Crimson Trace 1500 optic. I also love my 1911's among others. What can I say? I love guns!
Congratulations!

I got to shoot a Shield Plus today. I was impressed. It's a better gun than the original which already was a good gun.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I never even got the 2.0 Shield, so it will be a huge improvement over the one I have. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Walther better get on the ball soon with a high capacity micro compact. Now that Smith & Wesson and Ruger have jumped in the pool the PPS M2 will become a dinosaur. I love mine but the lure of similar size concealable firearms with twice the capacity will change some minds.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Just my observation, but it appears to me that Walther's primary target is in the compact to full size handgun shooters, competitive handgun shooters and LE market. They have a few offerings in the sub-compact / easily concealed arena, but that does not appear to be where they are really focused. Maybe they figure that it is a crowded market and folks aren't going to look past the trend setters that reside there. I ended up trading for my PPS M2, or I probably would not have even looked at one. I have really enjoyed it and found it to be a great firearm, but Walther just doesn't really have a "name" that folks look at in that market. Again, it's JMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just my observation, but it appears to me that Walther's primary target is in the compact to full size handgun shooters, competitive handgun shooters and LE market. They have a few offerings in the sub-compact / easily concealed arena, but that does not appear to be where they are really focused. Maybe they figure that it is a crowded market and folks aren't going to look past the trend setters that reside there. I ended up trading for my PPS M2, or I probably would not have even looked at one. I have really enjoyed it and found it to be a great firearm, but Walther just doesn't really have a "name" that folks look at in that market. Again, it's JMHO.
This stuff comes in waves. I agree Walther is going after LE/Competition shooters as well as shooters wanting to use an RDS.

In the past, Walther was very innovative with the PPK. The PPS M1 was innovative. I think the first of the polymer, single-stack 9mms. The CCP and PK380 were attempts to go after the segment of the market now seemingly dominated by the Smith EZShield.

My point being in the past they clearly went after the smaller pistol market.

This time around though they were clearly caught on the wrong foot.

In Walther's latest podcast, Cody from Walther again makes reference to US laws that make importing small pistols challenging.

I have to believe Walther is trying to do something as is probably Beretta, FN or anybody else that wants a piece of that market.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I have to believe Walther is trying to do something as is probably Beretta, FN or anybody else that wants a piece of that market.
That is why they are building/expanding their US plant in Arkansas, I'm sure! Maybe then they will go after this market.

·
Registered
884 Posts
US laws 1968 Gun Control Act bans small handgun imports.

Micro size would need to be manufactured in the US.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm probably in the minority here but I tried a friend's P365 and P365XL and wasn't a fan. I really wanted to like these pistols, but I found the grip circumference too small, the trigger guard too small, and the magazine release awkward. When I learned about the Shield Plus, my first thought was that I hoped Walther would redesign the PPS to retain basically the same form as it has today but with greater capacity. That should probably be simpler than designing an entirely new pistol. Sure, it wouldn't be as small, but it would probably be a better shooter. Also, I'd prefer the paddle mag release but that's unlikely.

One this is for sure, if they don't either revise the PPS for higher capacity or [more likely, IMO] introduce a higher capacity micro compact they risk losing market share.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The PPS is kinda big for what it is never thought I would say that! I agree, they should bring all their mad skills and magic for a totally new design in a micro compact. They should also offer a true safe pocket gun in maybe .32 with 10 rounds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts