Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Walther owners!

This will be my first post on the board, although I've been reading the board for a while.

I bought a P99 chambered in 40 S&W a few weeks ago, and finally had the oppotunity to take it to the range today.  I bought the gun because of its ergonomics, repuation, and from reading comments on this very board, but I'm a bit worried...  I'm not a first time shooter (although I really just have experience with my friend's sig P-229), but after my showing at the range today, I wouldn't have much trouble passing for one!

I understand that this is a new weapon for me to "learn," and am not jumping to conclusions, but my groupings were all over the place!  I'm looking for some reassurance that the problem lies with the shooter (me) and not the gun itself.

I ran factory ammo through it today (win 165 grain), and there were no failures of any kind.  The gun performed like a dream functionally; too bad a couldn't put the rounds in the black.  I'm cleaning it right now, and thought I would finally post something on the board!

I'm happy to be here, and look forward to talking with you all.  Please lemme know if anyone has had a rough first day with their P99, and if so, what he/she did to correct it.  Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have not shot the P99 .40. Judging from other .40's like Glock or Beretta, I don't think I would recommend a .40 as your first handgun.

My P99 9mm, all three in fact, shoot very tight groups and are accurate enough at 15 yards.

Could it be a flinch?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hoping it is a flinch.... its too late to buy something different, though.... I know I can perform, perhaps I just need another trip to the range?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I understand that you are not a first time shooter, but it sounds like you do not have a long history shooting. There are many things that can contribute to a poor day at the range. You might not have had enough rest, it could be very hot (i.e. sweat getting into your eyes), you might be out of practice, you may be trying to anticipate when the trigger is going to break since you have been shooting a different gun, or you may be eating poorly (stay away from drinks with caffeine or sugar before going to the range).

Aside from taking care of yourself, it might be worth your while to take a beginning shooter's class where they can teach you the art of a good trigger pull. -So many people move the gun off target with their trigger finger and they don't even realize it. Despite what the movies say, it is more complicated than just point and pull the trigger.

I agree that it will be tougher to start on a .40 S&W pistol, but it is not impossible. If it's really an issue, I imagine you could rent a .38 revolver to learn on. Yes, it will cost some money, but it's better to have paid the money and know how to shoot than not and have to muddle through with an excellent gun that you can't take full advantage of.

Just my two cents-

Good luck

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
dry fire, dry fire, dry fire!

At home, make sure the gun is unloaded!!!  Place a target on the wall and practice "shooting" at it.  When you pull the trigger, concentrate on your sight alignment.  After the trigger breaks, hold onto the target for a few seconds, to see how your sights did. Did the sights move when you pulled the trigger?  If so, then perhaps you need to adjust your grip.  Or maybe you're jerking the trigger instead of squeezing it?  If you want to pracice the SA shot, after each trigger pull, pull the slide back 3/8" to "cock" it into SA mode.

I also agree that maybe you are flinching.  The .40 has a very snappy recoil and can sometimes cause a person to flinch.  If this is happening, you will have to concentrate very hard on not flinching.  The dry fire practice can help in this regard also.  Next time at the range, shoot each shot very slowly and concentrate on keeping that gun on target and slowly squeezing the trigger.  Go ahead and let the gun surprise you when it goes off.  Eventually you will become accustome to it and your mind won't cause you to flinch anymore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi stunksinatl, my fellow new member. Well I'll tell you, the reason I ordered a p99 was it was the most accurate gun for me at the range, so I wouldn't worry about your groupings just yet. I haven't shot the .40 though, how much more recoil does it have compared to the 9mm?

Remember the main thing when shooting: 1 - The onlything that should be in clear focus is the front sight.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,

Thank you all for your constructive criticism!

I really appreciate it, and I will get back to you guys about my next trip to the range, thanks!

-stunks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts