Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the boards. Long time Walther P5 owner. Mainly into HK P7's though.
Just bought a Walther S/W PPK/s and thought I'd give a little report. From the factory, the inside of the gun was very dirty. Cleaned it and lubed it up. During cycling of the slide, sometimes it hangs up and won't allow me to fully retract it until I let it go forward and try again. Appears as though the release piece (#51 on the parts diagram) is hanging up at the decocker. Happens about once out of ten times. Also, tends to do it more if the gun is held sideways while retracting the slide. Unacceptable. I'll know more once I take it to the range for a workout. So far though I am disappointed with the QC and have already let S/W know about it. If it fails at the range it's going back for a replacement. I don't want a new gun fixed.
Anyone else experience this problem?
BTW, I like the new extended beavertail.
Thanks guys,
John...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I had a small problem with the slide impacting the steel block forward of the trigger (attached to the guard) and mushrooming it out a bit. It was enough to affect the movement of the guard when taking the pistol apart.

I considered sending it back, but couldn't see what they would do (aside from installing a heavier recoil spring.) So, I flattened out the sides of the block with a jewlers file, and havent' had any problems since. I imagine that the steel has strain hardened a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I've decided this ones going back. I'm not even going to attempt to fire it. I'm affraid that if the slide gets hung up during a recoil cycle, it could cause some serious damage, possibly to me. I am going to ask S/W for a replacement gun, not interested in a "fix" of a brand new gun. I'll report back when I get the verdict from S/W. It will be interesting to see how they stand behind their products. Just wish I were reading this instead of writing it.
Thanks for the replies.
John...

·
Registered
232 Posts
The american 380's stink. The American 32 auto's work great. If you want a 380 buy either a Manurhin or German Walther. If you want stainless buy it in 32 auto. I have a 32 american and it has never jammed or hicupped at all. The 380 are a nightmare waiting to happen. I owna german 380 but the 32 american is the one that never fails.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, they're not all bad. I have an American .380. I've had mine fail to extract the last shell twice in the whole time I've had it. That is the only problem I've ever had with it. It's a fairly new S&W w/ the extendo-beavertail. I love the gun and it's treated me well so far. I've probably put 1000 rounds through it.

Perhaps I'm a lucky one...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the delay fellas. Been too busy to get to my dealer. He is going to return it for me. I am asking S&W for a new gun. I'll report back when I find out what they are going to do about it. (fix or replace)

Cordodor, thanks for the words of encouragement. I really like the ergos of this pistol, and hope it's a keeper for me.

John...l

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was just about to get a PPK/S but thought i better read up first. Am I to understand correctly that the PPK/S are now made by S&W?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
yes they are.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (michael t @ Dec. 02 2004,1:04)]No after market grips will fit,at least none I am aware of.
When I was looking for aftermarket wood grips, the people at Hogue told me to specify which version of the PPK/s I needed it for.

I ended up making my own anyway. $80 was a bit stiff for me...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts