Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

My name is Ryan, and I live in northern Michigan. My grandfather has passed on, and has left me a P.38 that he "got" while fighting in Germany. It has SS eagle stamps over the number 135 on it along with a few other markings. It has a leather holter and an extra magazine too.I went to my local gun dealer and he had nothing to say about it. I'd like to sell it but have NO idea how to do that in michigan, nor do I know exactly how much I should ask for it. What might be a good course of action here?

·
Registered
149 Posts
If your grandfather got it in Germany, keep it. That is a family heir loom, and though it would probably be worth a bit to collectors, I am sure your grandfather kept it for a reason and would like it to stay in the family. That's just my 2 cents.
Wagemage

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife forbids me to keep the gun. First, we're Jewish, second, we have kids, and third, neither one of us knows anything about using guns safely. I plan on selling it and putting the money into a trust account for our children. Any idea how much it might be worth? I'm guessing around a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I understand the wife forbidding argument. But please excuse my ignorance, but I have many jewish friends who own firearms. Is it the history of the gun coming from Germany that offends so you do not wish to keep it. Just wondering. As for the kids and not knowing anything about guns is simple. Lock it up and don't use it. I would probably put an heirloom like that in a safe deposit box. Not in the home, it is no danger to your family. You get to keep something important in the family. If you still need to get rid of it, talk to family first. There may be a reletive in you family who would want to keep it in the family. Give them first refusal before getting rid of it. And if not that come back to the boards. There are many collecters who visit here who would deal fairly with you. I would just hate for someone to give away something that may be important to you later on. Again, just my 2 cents.
Patrick

·
Registered
471 Posts
Irregardless of what I think you should do with the pistol, as that's and entirely different subject, I'd think it would be worth considerably more that a couple of hundred dollars... Thiokol has the right idea... Then you could sell it yourself on the auctions... Take some very good pictures so the bidders can zoom in and see the markings. You could blur out the last couple of digits of the serial number just to be on the safe side... Then when it's sold, take it to a FFL (a Federal Firearm License holder aka: gun store), pay them a few buck's (20.00 to 50.00) and send it over night delivery (around 35.00 dollars) to the buyers FFL, after you receive their money... This is done all the time, heck I got a new P99 yesterday doing something similar, it's not hard to do. I would recommend you make arrangements with your FFL prior to selling it, then you know upfront what to expect. They might even know a local buyer... There's got to be another dealer you can go to with in driving distance, but even the local one might ship it for you after the sale...
I'd bet, not knowing what I'm talking about here, that the P38 is worth more like a couple of thousand than a couple of hundred dollars.
Your Grandpa's liable to come back and kick your Butt however, if you DO sell it, as he probably came close to dieing in it's acquisition, and you might not even be here if he had not gotten it.
It might of been between the Nazi he took it off of and him....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Go on this website that specializes in P-38, PPK etc.  You will get the straight scoop there.  A post-war P-38 sells for more than $250; yours would easily be worth 4, 5 or 6 times that and possibly more to a collector if it is original.

http://www.p38forum.com/

Look on the for sale part of that forum and you will see this one:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WTS One Walther P38 AC42 In 99% Original Finish, All Matching, Non Import Ex. Bore. No Scratches, There are No imperfections Overall Condition As New, This is a end of War Bringback. $1895.00 Click on Pictures to Enlarge.  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another:

I just listed on gunbroker a Mod 38, P-38. A few dings, but the starting price is nice at 1050. Check it out and take a look at some of my other walthers for sale.

It will only get more valuable oif it is stored away correctly.

BTW, I started collecting because I inheirited a bring-back pistol that my Father got in WWII.

best to you and yours my friend

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Ryan Im from michigan too. First of all there are serveral factors that way into the pricing of that P38. First you will see on the slide or frame the place of manufacturer there were several plants that made these some were AC, BYF and several more the manufacturer can greatly affect the price. Right after that will be two number Ex AC45 that means it was made at that plant in 1945 the last year of the European theather. Every year has its own price level. A 100% AC45 is around $800. I own a 45 back at home cant remeber what manufact since am at college mine was built then left in the armorer and never distributed untill the GI's open it up. If you want to sell out of state you can use gunbroker or auction arms and they will tell you the steps to use a FFL agent. Oh P.S. the post war P38's are called P1's they have an alloy frame and different grip panels. P38s have baklite panel that look brown and have horizontal lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts