Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a gun show today with a friend. He had a Walther PP with him that he acquired a couple months ago in a trade. He was going to sell it at the show, but I got him to sell it to me instead because it was so nice, and I like guns. I have a nice collection of S&W revolvers and Colt 1911's, and a few others, but this is my first German pistol. I don't know a lot about them, but have been reading posts on this forum and the P38 forum. Seems like there are a lot of variations in these guns! I think this is a 1972 vintage one. I got the gun with box, manual, target, extra mag, holster, and a box of ammo for $600. I'm not sure if this was a real good deal, but I think it was one we both could live with.

I would appreciate any comments.

AC

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The finish on this gun is fabulous, in fact, on the side of the box it says "Exc + - Like new". I guess that tag must have been put there by the importer. The box is certainly like new, has hardly even been opened much, still tight. The cleaning rod has never been used. Manual looks like it has never been read! Haven't checked the bore yet, but I'm sure it must be perfect too, the hammer has no wear on it at all, so it hasn't been fired much, I'm sure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
AC,
Looks as a nice pc.! If in fact your gun is a 72 year it will be stamped in chamber as 72. Your gun most likely a police import,or military, the Lanyard ring at bottom was installed for thier use.I can see a mark above trigger on frame but , can't read it? Most likely the Importers stamp? Is there any unit stamps anywhere other than the Nitro Eagle/ N ? The box & test target for that gun is NEW to me, never saw any as such????? If you feel OK with the 600.00 you pd. then it's not to much!! Looks very clean.
Have fun,
Dale

·
Registered
45 Posts
AC,
Sorry forgot! The manual & cleaning rod are Walther & the Ammo by Noble is available here in USA. Just can,t tell you about that Box & Target, Maybe some of the other members here has seen them??
Dale

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Very nice example.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AC,
Looks as a nice pc.! If in fact your gun is a 72 year it will be stamped in chamber as 72. gun I can see a mark above trigger on frame but , can't read it? Most likely the Importers stamp? Is there any unit stamps anywhere other than the Nitro Eagle/ N ? any as such????? If you feel OK with the 600.00 you pd. then it's not to much!! Looks very clean.
Have fun,
Dale
Yes Dale, there is a 72 in the chamber, that was easy to figure out when this one was made.

Yes, that is the importers stamp - .c.D.I. Swan. VT

No unit stamps anywhere.

I did feel I overpaid a little, but, because he is my good friend, and I thought he was too much into it on his trade, I kind of repaid him for some freebies he has given me in the past. In fact, he threw in a nice S&W marked shoulder hoster and gun rug with it also.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I forgot, speaking of the test target -- it is stamped with a date of 3 Jan 1996. If this is a factory target, how come 1996 if the gun is a 1972?

AC

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't think you overpaid at all. That's a wonderful example of a terrific version of the Walther PP series of pistols. With all the extras (box, test target, holster), I think you have a fine gun there!

·
Registered
729 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Steve! I will watch it. I do believe mine is nicer than that one, and my box is the earlier cardboard box. Don't like plastic boxes. All my S&W's are in two piece blue or gray boxes.:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh, I forgot, speaking of the test target -- it is stamped with a date of 3 Jan 1996. If this is a factory target, how come 1996 if the gun is a 1972?

AC
For me, it doesn't seem to be the original Walther factory test target. Maybe it's a post-made target from another gun smith or from the importer (?)

I've some PP and PPK's and all of them have a original test target like this:

inspiron

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the reply, inspiron. Here is a better pic of it. The language looks like German, but I guess anybody could get them. It doesn't have the Walther banner. It would seem somebody test fired it again prior to sale/export?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm guessing that the box was produced locally for the importer and that the target was dated when the gun was exported to the U.S.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the reply, inspiron. Here is a better pic of it. The language looks like German, but I guess anybody could get them. It doesn't have the Walther banner. It would seem somebody test fired it again prior to sale/export?
Hi AirCommando,

Thanks for the better pic. No, it's definitely not german language. The language looks strange, more like finnish or so ...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, this is getting interesting! My ancestry is Finnish! I wonder if this gun was used in Finland. Maybe that explains the lack of German police markings.:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guess I need to send in $10 to get the edit function.:eek: I was writing my post while Inspiron posted. So its Danish language. I heard of some guns being sent to Denmark. I wonder if the serial number could be traced?

AC

·
Registered
24 Posts
Guess I need to send in $10 to get the edit function.:eek: I was writing my post while Inspiron posted. So its Danish language. I heard of some guns being sent to Denmark. I wonder if the serial number could be traced?

AC
I've just had a closer look at your pictures - even the box is obviously not what we know as standard factory boxes at walther. Very interesting - If you ever find out more about your walther, please let me know.

inspiron

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is a better pic of the box. Obviously then, a replacement box, but serialed to the gun.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts