Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do hope I will be forgiven for this, my pistol is not a Walther but a Smith and Wesson 99 AS. I have searched for two days trying to find some, any information as to how to clean the trigger pull on this pistol, no information was found. The double action pull has to be the grittiest I have ever encountered on any handgun, period. If someone here can head me towards a fix for this, I'll be forever grateful. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Have U fired it yet?

I used to have SW99 - and the trigger wasn't that great - 20-30 dry fires later, it was fine.

Usually, on the Walthers - the trigger smoothes out after 500 rounds or so.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would allow for normal break in as compared to messing with the internals. It is just my opinion, but my P99 broke in quite well after 300 or so rounds.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I do hope I will be forgiven for this, my pistol is not a Walther but a Smith and Wesson 99 AS.

Hey, Nothing wrong with the SW99.. My buddy has one and when he and I get together punching holes in paper his pistol shoots as well as mine.. :D

Hope you get the trigger/striker working to your satisfaction as I consider the SW99 an excellent pistol that S&W made very little, if any, effort to market..

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for not running me off! I would have rather bought a Walther, problem is there are none available here. I must have visited every gunshop within 75 miles trying to find one. The answers I got were varied and some were quite ludricrous, "They quit making those", "no longer imported", "We don't sell junk", you name it, I heard it. I've only seen two original P-99's both a few years ago at a gunshow, both had green frames. As for my SW, I've dry fired it a bunch of times, I am dissapointed to find the trigger pull worse than the pull on the SIGMA I just sold to partially fund the 99. Ifall else fails, a buddy has offered to buy it, I'll then see about finding one on one of the internet sales brokers.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for not running me off! I would have rather bought a Walther, problem is there are none available here. I must have visited every gunshop within 75 miles trying to find one. The answers I got were varied and some were quite ludricrous, "They quit making those", "no longer imported", "We don't sell junk", you name it, I heard it. I've only seen two original P-99's both a few years ago at a gunshow, both had green frames. As for my SW, I've dry fired it a bunch of times, I am dissapointed to find the trigger pull worse than the pull on the SIGMA I just sold to partially fund the 99. Ifall else fails, a buddy has offered to buy it, I'll then see about finding one on one of the internet sales brokers.
demented:

Well, consider this.

If you bought the SW99 new you have a lifetime warranty on it. Smith & Wesson has an EXCELLENT Customer Service/Warranty Department. (They fix our Walthers too.)

I've heard many times that the P99/s trigger/striker gets better with use. Or, after several hundred rounds the trigger/striker will smooth out quite nicely.

By the way, CDNN sells magazines for the SW99 very reasonably. In fact the SW99 mags work perfectly in the P99's and I have a couple of the 16rd'ers myself.

I wouldn't be too quick to give up on the SW99... From all I read, and from limited personal experience they are fine pistols.

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PX15 and all, thanks for the words of encouragement. Part of my problem is probably a left over "bad taste" from the last S&W revolver I purchased. Let me just say it was JUNK! I'm not giving up this soon, I stripped my slide, looks like there are some sharp edges in the striker chaneel causing the grit feel. I am wondering if some sort of cleaning mop with polishing megia would help smooth this out.... Will resist doing anything for a bit, will contact s&W before taking matters into my own hands, also. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
335 Posts
demented; Part of my problem is probably a left over "bad taste" from the last S&W revolver I purchased. Let me just say it was JUNK! ![/QUOTE said:
Hey, every manufacturer has a lemon every now and then... :mad:

But this "pawn shop rescued" 49 Bodyguard wasn't one of them... :D

JP

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PX15, Now that is sweet! I'm an old SW revolver shooter collector, none of mine are really "collectors" to me, the rarest is probably my factory nickel plated 58 .41 mag. If I can be a bit nosy, how much did your BG set you back? Here, used pristine pre-locks are selling for more $$ than new.

·
Registered
335 Posts
PX15, Now that is sweet! I'm an old SW revolver shooter collector, none of mine are really "collectors" to me, the rarest is probably my factory nickel plated 58 .41 mag. If I can be a bit nosy, how much did your BG set you back? Here, used pristine pre-locks are selling for more $$ than new.

demented:

Well truthfully, the old 49 isn't "pristine".. There are three or four small areas on the left side that aren't perfect, (around the cylinder release), but I like the old snubby anyway. My wife and I were in a small pawn/gun shop in Waycross several years ago "just lookin'" and she saw this old J-frame and brought it to my attention. For $250.00 we brought it home.

If you care anything for Colt D-frames, here's one. I'm saving this one for my Son.

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did I mention that I love Colt revolvers too? That one is nice. Guy came by here yesterday with a Colt Police Positive Special in 38 special, of course. Condition is 98%, solid. Second issue, asking price was $450. Probably worth it but I tend to buy shooters not safe queens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts