Walther Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
New member and my first post. I recently bought my first (used Interarms) PPK. I had it to a range today for the first time and experienced no jams in the 150 rounds I put through it:)

What it does do that I am not thrilled with is... when I place a magazine in the gun and pull back on the slide to chamber the first round, the slide either takes a second (a delay) to ram forward or it won't until I tap it again on the rear. It functions fine after that.

Is this a ramp issue or perhaps a magazine problem or.....? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Wecome to the group MSP.

Replace the recoil spring.

Post pictures of your gun(s).:p

Russell

·
Registered
529 Posts
I agree, check the recoil spring that goes around the barrel.
Also, is there some lube in the slide rails? If the gun is dry that could make problems.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I disagree. It probably has nothing to do with the recoil spring. Something else is afoot, and a careful examination of slide operation with the spring removed likely will disclose what it is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, check the recoil spring that goes around the barrel.
Also, is there some lube in the slide rails? If the gun is dry that could make problems.

Yes, it's lubed well. Put her in a ultrasonic bath, blew her out with a compressor, and lubed her up before I shot her for the first time. What should I look for if I "check" the recoil spring?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
What should I look for if I "check" the recoil spring?
20 pounds to compress the spring for 9mm kurz. Not sure for 7.65mm.

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/WaltherNF.html

Springs are cheap and you'll have yours in about a week.

I disagree. It probably has nothing to do with the recoil spring. Something else is afoot, and a careful examination of slide operation with the spring removed likely will disclose what it is.
By all means do this too.

Russell

·
Registered
81 Posts
One other thing, when chambering a round manually, pull back on the slide all the way while pushing a little with your strong hand. The release should be as crisp as you can get it. If the only round that gives you trouble is the one you're loading, it might just be your technique and nothing needs replacing at this point.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Two other quick and easy checks: Load only five rounds in the mag, and try it again. If the problem goes away, switch to a different mag, and see what happens when it's fully loaded.

M

·
Registered
16 Posts
Even though it is a used pistol, the previous owner may not have shot it much. I would put some good grease on the rails and shoot a couple of hundred rounds to give it a "break-in". If ever a pistol needed a break-in period I believe the PPK is one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is it normal for the recoil spring to be tight on the barrel? Mine is so tight it requires some force to pull it off the barrel. That friction has to affect the operation of the slide even if just a little. I would guess the force required to move the spring is at least a couple pounds.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Is it normal for the recoil spring to be tight on the barrel? Mine is so tight it requires some force to pull it off the barrel. That friction has to affect the operation of the slide even if just a little. I would guess the force required to move the spring is at least a couple pounds.
Yes, the recoil spring on PP and PPK pistols is smaller at one end. That end goes aft down the barrel requiring a bit of push-pull.

Russell

·
Registered
361 Posts
It most likely depends on where the "force" is. If it is tight at the end barrel towards the breach, then yes that is fine. The springs are made that way so it doesn't go flying off. If the "force" is over the entire length of the barrel, then that is not right and it might not have the right spring. The end of a new spring is wound just a fraction smaller to seat tightly and that should be the only thing really "gripping on the barrel. Try a light coat of oil on the barrel and then put the spring back on and see if that helps. If it does, you should be good to go, and if it doesn't then you most likely need a new spring.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for those replies. That makes sense. I'll double check the spring to make sure it is closed slightly at the breach end. I also wondered if a little oil on the barrel would help it compress more easily. I'll try that. Might reduce wear a little too.

I have another question but it is too far off topic so I'll start a new thread.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's fixed. Turned out to be the magazine. I replaced it and all is well. Here is a picture of her (I hope)

·
Registered
529 Posts

Thanks,
I don't think so. The recoil springs are smaller in diameter at one end than at the other end. The smaller end goes on first and rests in a recess in the barrel sleeve. It is supposed to be tight to pull off. And the entire length of that spring is not tight like the small end is. It's only the last coil of the spring that is friction tight. The rest of it is not binding on the barrel and slide.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought a used PPK a couple of years ago that had a slide binding problem when I inspected it. I took a chance and bought it "needing work". I got it home, and the only "work" it needed was to put the recoil spring on correctly. Someone had put it on with the tight end near the muzzle and thought the pistol was broken. Moral of the story is, you never know what you'll see when you buy a used gun, but unless it has really been abused, the fix is usually pretty simple.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts